Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

xenon lights?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2007, 11:35 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default xenon lights?

I want to put xenon lights on my hawk, but want the actual system. Theres a blue ram air around town that has them, but cant seem to find the person to ask. Its not the cheapo version either...anyone with ideas on where i could find them?
Old 11-19-2007, 03:15 PM
Teching In

anyone?
Old 11-19-2007, 06:34 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Do you mean HID?

Check out the Lighting FAQ in the Hall of Fame sticky. A link to it is also in my sig.
Here is a link for convenience:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearance-detailing/710357-lighting-faq.html

You'll find info there about conversion housings (although I'm not a fan of them), and projectors. www.LEDGauges.com (a sponsor) has HID kits.

Last edited by VIP1; 11-19-2007 at 10:21 PM.
Old 11-19-2007, 09:55 PM
Teching In

not sure by what the differences are between the projector and hid? Or are they the same? Where online can i buy the whole system for fog lights, and headlights? Thanks
Old 11-19-2007, 10:18 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

HID = High Intensity Discharge
Its a bulb and ballast assembly. Instead of a filament glowing in a glass tube (incandescent & halogen), HID is a arc of electricity at a high voltage in a glass tube.

Projector Housing
Its a light housing with a reflector in the rear, cut-off shield in the middle, and curved glass focus in front. It produces a wide even light pattern with a sharp flat or stepped line with light below and little to no light above. Some projectors are halogen, some are HID.

Reflector Housing
Standard incandescent & Halogen housing with a reflector in the rear and either Clear or Fresnel or Parabolic glass in front. The cut-off and general pattern is not as well defined as a projector. Almost all reflector housings are halogen or incandescent. Only a couple HID reflector setups were available from the OEMs.

What is it that you really want to do? Quick-and-simple or are you willing to put more time into it and get something better? Either way, I'd suggest you do some research on the subject. There is plenty of info on the subject available in the Lighting FAQ.

www.LEDGauges.com (a sponsor) sells HID Kits. Some are bulbs and ballasts only. Some are conversion housings. There aren't any plug-and-play projector kits available yet for the 4th-gen Firebird. You can find some custom installations in the Lighting FAQ. Although you can physically get a HID kit to fit in a reflector housing, the beam pattern usually will not be correct. There will be glare to oncoming drivers due to scattered light.

Another important note:
The K number is the color temp. It is not the brightness (well not directly, I'll explain). 4000K - 5000K is the brightest. Continuing up the color scale, the light gets bluer then purpler and the lumens output (the actual measurement of light) decreases. In other words, a 10000K HID kit is dimmer than a 4300K HID kit. Our eyes are least sensitive to blue light. Blue light also scatters more easily. In the end, we can see better with a 4300K HID kit for many reasons.

You shouldn't install HID in the High Beam location because they can't be flashed quickly. You'd loose the ability to signal other drivers with the high beams. Vehicles that come from the factory with HID high beam have Bi-Xenon projectors. Its one projector housing for low beam and high beam with a movable cut-off shield. For the high beam, the cut-off shield rises to let more light upwards like a standard high beam pattern.

Last edited by VIP1; 11-20-2007 at 11:18 AM.
Old 11-20-2007, 09:15 AM
Teching In

well thanks for the tips. I would like to spend the extra time to have it look better...im guessing as best as it can get to resemble the bmw headlights effect.
Old 11-20-2007, 09:22 AM
TECH Apprentice

That website LEDGauges.com has been down for a minute now. I'm not sure when it's gonna be up and running but I know I checked it out like 3 months ago and it was still "under construction"
Old 01-08-2008, 09:10 AM
Copy & Paste Moderator

How's it going?
Old 01-08-2008, 11:06 AM
Teching In

pretty good decided to leave it alone for now. Just installed some more goodies into my engine. Just dyno it yesterday and produced 459rwhp. Have a 200 shot of tnt f1 kit, to boost me up to mid 600's. Havent dynoed that quite yet till wednesday. Well see how that goes...havent been on here much lately school.
Old 01-08-2008, 01:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Super28Sport
That website LEDGauges.com has been down for a minute now. I'm not sure when it's gonna be up and running but I know I checked it out like 3 months ago and it was still "under construction"
Just PM him here on the board - LS1_SS (Nathan)

That's the guy behind ledgauges.
Old 07-11-2009, 04:54 AM

VIP1 is very professional ,haha

Quick Reply: xenon lights?