Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Wax stains?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2007, 10:47 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Wax stains?

Just put on 3 coats of wax on my car over the course of 3 days. I noticed today under lighting that if you look closely on the hood you can see swirl marks from the previous coats of wax. It is tough to see but still there. Why? How do I get rid of that? Just more wax? Does it need more buffing? I've never seen it before but I tried buffing it out all night and had no luck. The hood looks as though some parts are darker than others because of the swirls. I'm not talking about swirls like scratches, but from buffing the wax out. The wax almost looks stained in in some areas. Do I need to wash with dawn and start all over?

Last edited by kaos_; 11-23-2007 at 11:16 PM.
Old 11-23-2007, 11:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

3 coats of wax? I thought you were only supposed to do 1 coat
Old 11-24-2007, 12:21 AM
TECH Resident

what's wrong with multiple coats of wax? i thought the more the better?

http://www.meguiars.com/faq/index.cf...ection=_13#_13
Old 11-24-2007, 12:41 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Did you just do wax? You should have clayed bared it, used a swirl remover, polish and then wax.
Old 11-24-2007, 12:51 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Its common, I know you posted a Meguiars link, but what wax were you using? Unless you changes products, the best way to get rid of it is with a buffer. However, after you wax, go over the car with detail spray, that seems to minimize it, but a buffer is the best way.
Old 11-24-2007, 03:14 PM
TECH Regular

I never seem to have that problem cept when it comes to my moms monte carlo... its res and after im done it looks lighter n darker in some spots... so i usually get a detail spray to fix it and wipe it down real good... as stted above
Old 11-24-2007, 05:28 PM
TECH Resident

i was using the nxt spray wax. its pretty convenient and worked well. i'm going to wash it with dawn, claybar and try again when the weather clears up.
Old 11-24-2007, 08:57 PM
Teching In

kaos_,

It seems it's not clear to anyone else here, but if you didn't follow the directions properly, that's probably why you've got "swirl marks from the previous coats of wax."

Just to be clear, you want to apply a coat of wax and buff it off to a shine before applying another coat.

But you might consider using a stronger cleaner wax product (or series of products) in liquid or paste form, and just use the spray wax after washes or in-between traditional waxings.

Generally speaking, you want to polish and wax after claying (whether it's a one-step product or multi-step product).

Using a spray wax is not a substitute for a traditional waxing -- no matter how many layers you apply.

Of course, your approach will vary depending on the color and condition of the finish, but I just want to help clarify what may be a misunderstanding about what's going on with your finish.

If my guessing is incorrect, please be a little more specific about what you're doing and with what products.

Good luck!
Old 11-25-2007, 11:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by kaos_
i was using the nxt spray wax. its pretty convenient and worked well. i'm going to wash it with dawn, claybar and try again when the weather clears up.
That is your problem. The NXT spray wax is junk.

A coat of good cleaner wax will fix your problem .. no need to rewash with Dawn.

The NXT spray wax is smeary, very sensitive to humidity, and hard to get on evenly ..

Once you solve the swirly issue .. take a look at giving the car a good wax job .. wash it, clay it, then use a good quality synthetic wax on it.
Old 11-25-2007, 02:15 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Gipraw
That is your problem. The NXT spray wax is junk.

A coat of good cleaner wax will fix your problem .. no need to rewash with Dawn.

The NXT spray wax is smeary, very sensitive to humidity, and hard to get on evenly ..

Once you solve the swirly issue .. take a look at giving the car a good wax job .. wash it, clay it, then use a good quality synthetic wax on it.
Umm, no. NXT spray wax is not Junk. NXT spray wax is designed to be used as a booster product. Lets say you wash and wax on Friday, you are supposed to use the NXT Spray for the next wash and wax on the next Friday. The next time you wash and wax you would go with the paste or liquid.
Old 11-25-2007, 04:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by phantomzer0
Umm, no. NXT spray wax is not Junk. NXT spray wax is designed to be used as a booster product. Lets say you wash and wax on Friday, you are supposed to use the NXT Spray for the next wash and wax on the next Friday. The next time you wash and wax you would go with the paste or liquid.

Everyone has opinions. That happens to be mine of that product. Both the NXT Spray Wax and the NXT Speed Detailer are pretty useless products, in my opinion. And I am not alone in that opinion. I bet I could find you a couple dozen of the best detailers in the country, all users of Meg's products, that would agree with me.

Out of the thousands of products I have tried, on the thousands of cars I have tried them on, those two products are very close to the bottom on my list of quality products.

I have never understood the purpose of a spray wax. I can hand wax a vehicle with a liquid or paste synthetic wax almost as quickly as you can with a spray wax, yet I will end up with much better protection, and a much better appearance.

Just my opinion. nothing more.

If you like it, please continue to use it.. the number one judge of the quality of a product is the user.

I would suggest that your time and money are better spent on other products, but, once again .. just my opinion.

Old 11-25-2007, 05:04 PM
Teching In

Give it a week, they should go away.
Old 11-25-2007, 05:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Black IROC
Give it a week, they should go away.
They won't go away. Like stated above, however, a good cleaner wax will remove the old 'marks'. After buffing it out COMPLETELY, apply just one good coat of synthetic wax.
That should take care of the problem.
Old 11-25-2007, 10:46 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Super28Sport
They won't go away. Like stated above, however, a good cleaner wax will remove the old 'marks'. After buffing it out COMPLETELY, apply just one good coat of synthetic wax.
That should take care of the problem.

It depends, some waxes leave oils on the paint that can look like "swirl marks" from previous coats of wax. I've seen this when people layer but do not give enough cure time between coats. Going over it with a QD or just giving it some time tends to do the trick. Every situation is different though.
Old 11-26-2007, 03:40 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 443 Likes on 320 Posts

I recently bought Eagle One nano wax which is supposed to help 'fill' those swirl marks that most everyone has at some point. Maybe that is all you will need.
I also use the NXT detailer and I find it in the 'middle of the road' as far as detailers. Not great but it certainly is NOT junk.
Old 11-26-2007, 04:15 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

There is no need to wash with dawn. It's to abrasive for the paint. Use car wash soap, clay it, polish and then wax it. I find one coat of wax to be enough. The meguiars three step works well. You can then follow up with the detail spray of your choice. This should be enough to get rid of the swirls. Just make sure you don't use the detail spray on a dirty car or the swirls will be back.
Old 11-26-2007, 07:03 PM
TECH Resident

thanks for the help guys!
Old 11-26-2007, 11:04 PM
TECH Junkie

Zaino!

Quick Reply: Wax stains?