Hybrid Muscle Cars

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2007, 10:32 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hybrid Muscle Cars

Wow! You guys watching the news? Take a new vehicle, take out the engine, put in a diesel engine that has more power than a gas banger. Convert it to "biodiesel", goes from 400 + hp to 1000 + hp. 25 mpg. The only downside is the $40k conversion charge. Mass produce this and get the price lowered and wow! Cant wait to see that happening. No smoke clouds from a diesel taking off because it's biofuel. (this might be old news to some but I must have missed the thread)
Old 11-24-2007, 10:53 AM
Launching!

FWIW the biodiesel isnt what gives the diesel engines 1000hp and gobbs of torque, its all the tuning work they do to it with chips to crank up fuel, and turning up or swapping out for a bigger turbo. The biodiesel actually makes slightly less power than dino-diesel as far as back to back comparison goes. But yeah those new diesels make some rediculous power with a few grand in mods.

Remington
Old 11-24-2007, 11:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Remington H.
FWIW the biodiesel isnt what gives the diesel engines 1000hp and gobbs of torque, its all the tuning work they do to it with chips to crank up fuel, and turning up or swapping out for a bigger turbo. The biodiesel actually makes slightly less power than dino-diesel as far as back to back comparison goes. But yeah those new diesels make some rediculous power with a few grand in mods.

Remington
Not true. Depending on how you manufacture the Bio will determine its output. Regular diesel has about 140k BTU/gal, B100 (most common) has 130k BTU/gal. You can manufacture bio diesel to have a higher ethyl ester or methanol content to produce almost 145k BTU/gal.
If these auto manufacturers with the hybrid were smart, yes, they would mate a diesel up to an electric motor. Diesel is the future. Not air or hydrogen powered vehicles.. We will never have a no-emissions vehicle. Diesel is the worlds easiest fuel to make and one of the most abundant.
Old 11-24-2007, 01:15 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by TchargedLS1TA
Not true. Depending on how you manufacture the Bio will determine its output. Regular diesel has about 140k BTU/gal, B100 (most common) has 130k BTU/gal. You can manufacture bio diesel to have a higher ethyl ester or methanol content to produce almost 145k BTU/gal.
If these auto manufacturers with the hybrid were smart, yes, they would mate a diesel up to an electric motor. Diesel is the future. Not air or hydrogen powered vehicles.. We will never have a no-emissions vehicle. Diesel is the worlds easiest fuel to make and one of the most abundant.
The only method of making biodiesel with a higher btu rating than dino-diesel is not washing it after its processed. Meaning after you dump methoxide with oil together and drain off the glycerine, you use it as is. That method of not washing can yield a higher btu, but is unsafe to run because it will still have triglycerides, water and methanol still suspended in the oil. The added methanol is what *can* give it a higher btu rating. Those extra tryclycerides and other oil esters left in the oil is what will solidify in the injectors and fuel system causing loads of problems and money. Doesnt matter what kind of vegi oil-this will not effect btu rating. So technically yes you can have a higher btu with unwashed biodiesel because of the left over methanol, but then your playing a game of russian roulette with your vehicle with all of the other fats and oil esters floating around. All those extra fats floating around is what also allows the biodiesel to have excellent lubricity, but atsm certified and clean biodiesel will not have these fats floating around and it will have the equivelence of the ULSD that is being sold currently. Also the reason regular atsm certified biodiesel has a lower btu rating is because compared to dino-diesel, has an extra oxygen molecule in the molecular structure. Maybe if you crank up the fuel rate to use biodiesel, it might make a few extra hp/trq. Hope all that made sense.

Remington
Old 11-24-2007, 01:20 PM
Launching!

I also think if they got it down for the hydrogen cell technology, that water would definitely be the most abundant natural fuel...I think 80-ish % of the earth is covered in water. Now only if they can get them to run off of salt water-now that would be pretty clever

Remington
Old 11-24-2007, 02:09 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Remington H.
I also think if they got it down for the hydrogen cell technology, that water would definitely be the most abundant natural fuel...I think 80-ish % of the earth is covered in water. Now only if they can get them to run off of salt water-now that would be pretty clever

Remington
I think someone has tried to do that... But then our government did not like it because the fuel cost would be very small. That being the fact we could run down and get our own fuel from the sea.... LOL..

so they couldnt tax anything... If they did get some saltwater burning cars..
They would still add something to the water so it would have to be refined...
Old 11-25-2007, 04:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Grimlock1968
Wow! You guys watching the news? Take a new vehicle, take out the engine, put in a diesel engine that has more power than a gas banger. Convert it to "biodiesel", goes from 400 + hp to 1000 + hp. 25 mpg. The only downside is the $40k conversion charge. Mass produce this and get the price lowered and wow! Cant wait to see that happening. No smoke clouds from a diesel taking off because it's biofuel. (this might be old news to some but I must have missed the thread)
leaving them in a huge cloud of smoke is half the fun
Old 11-25-2007, 09:05 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Also keep in mind that the typical diesel motors curently are in trucks. They weigh more than most standard V8's so you would have to consider that when putting it in. Your front suspension and steering might need some help. There is a guy on a diesel site I am on that has a Duramax in a Grand National and that thing is quick.
Old 11-25-2007, 11:32 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by LeadfootDuramax
Also keep in mind that the typical diesel motors curently are in trucks. They weigh more than most standard V8's so you would have to consider that when putting it in. Your front suspension and steering might need some help. There is a guy on a diesel site I am on that has a Duramax in a Grand National and that thing is quick.

Why didnt he go back with that 3.8? He had a ton of Duramax's laying around?
Old 11-25-2007, 01:45 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ive heard rumors of GM coming out with a new diesel for cars... this article just talks about the new truck motors, but it says it will fit in engine bays designed for small block V8's
http://www.thecarconnection.com/Auto...96.A12479.html
Old 11-25-2007, 02:17 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Grimlock1968
Why didnt he go back with that 3.8? He had a ton of Duramax's laying around?
As I recall he had severl GN's. I believe this one was not nec numbers matching and the motor may have been gone/shot. since he was into Duramax trucks, he thought it owuld be diff and cool to throw one in.
Old 11-25-2007, 08:09 PM
Launching!

yep the 4.5 ltr v8 mini duramax has already been confirmed. for suvs and light duty trucks. Not sure about cars whether midsize or not, but I wouldnt mind having a diesel half ton scsb.

Remington
Old 11-25-2007, 09:40 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 2MuchRiceMakesMeSick
leaving them in a huge cloud of smoke is half the fun
I road with a friend of a friend Friday nite and he has an 06 5.9 cummins. Something like a bully dog 175 programmer, with another one stacked on top. An the fuel upgrades, that I dont know much about. Anyhow, talk about clouds of smoke............He ran that bitch through the gears getting onto central and you couldnt make out the road behind the truck. Pretty crazy ****. BTW Justin, I am getting a duramax afterall. The 08 chevys are too damn nice.
Old 11-25-2007, 10:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by xfactor_pitbulls
I road with a friend of a friend Friday nite and he has an 06 5.9 cummins. Something like a bully dog 175 programmer, with another one stacked on top. An the fuel upgrades, that I dont know much about. Anyhow, talk about clouds of smoke............He ran that bitch through the gears getting onto central and you couldnt make out the road behind the truck. Pretty crazy ****. BTW Justin, I am getting a duramax afterall. The 08 chevys are too damn nice.
I know, my junk puts out so much smoke you think the whole dam block is on fire.

Those new chevys are nice but im not sure I want the headaches of all that emissions BS. I would at least look at a model a few years old just for that reason. You shouldnt have any problems with the emissions until you start modifying it and then I hear it becomes a real headache.
Old 11-25-2007, 10:59 PM
TECH Junkie

http://www.fastcompany.com/magazine/...d-messiah.html
interesting ideas that probably work. would like to see some testing on this done