Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

After breaking in 1000 miles on my 9".... can I do anything about the whine?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2007, 11:55 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question After breaking in 1000 miles on my 9".... can I do anything about the whine?

My question is pretty simple.. I have a very very reputable shop in the area that is good with rear end work. I have not called them yet and figured Id ask here first.

I have at or less then 1000 miles on my 9" since I purchased it. I dont drive my car much and figured the whine was part of the break in.. but at this point Im sure its not going to change at all. I use Valvoline 85w140 and did change the fluid at 500m.. and to be honest the thing is really loud at of course 70-80mph, my freeway speed. It is really loud while cruising at steady throttle and completely dissapears when I let off the throttle. I havent even launched this thing yet... havent even beat on it yet. FWIW its a Moser housing, Strange center, Trutrac diff, and 3.89 gear.

Is it worth having this shop take a look and maybe make some adjustments? Or have I gone to far mileage wise?

The thing that really ticks me off is that I bought this 9" from a sponsor and paid the extra $ to have it assembled, shipped assembled, so I wouldnt have to worry about assembly... and excessive whine.

Any help is appreciated.
Old 11-27-2007, 05:31 AM
TECH Addict

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Exclamation

Look like I'm going to be in the same boat as you.

I have the exact same rear end as you. I have just over 150 miles on mine and I'm getting gear whine at 65mph+.

The main reason I went with the 9" was that they were suppose to be less prone to gear whine over the 12 bolt.

Check your PM's, I have a few questions for you.

Bill
Old 11-27-2007, 06:26 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is no magic bullet, but people still post like they beleive there is.

If you want strength and relibility, it comes at a cost.
Old 11-27-2007, 06:39 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We typically get very few problems with gear whine with the Moser center section. Whoever sold you your Strange center already assembled may help you out. Give them a call. Bob
Old 11-27-2007, 09:38 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

subscribing
Old 11-27-2007, 10:29 AM
Launching!

I have the exact same situation you have but with the Moser and it sucks.
Old 11-27-2007, 10:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Sometimes it simply takes more than one attempt to set the gears so it's relatively quiet. Yes, you have to pay for it and it should be done right away before you put a lot of miles on the gears. It's the price of having it right.
Old 11-27-2007, 08:16 PM
12 Second Club

Mine did the same thing.[ Also from a sponser ] After the second try. I had a local guy with fifty years exp. with 9-inch rears rebuild it. And now it is finaly dead quiet so far. Only have like 60 miles. Weather got to crappy so may have to wait till next spring to finish breaking it in. Hopefuly the third time is the charm. This time it cost me another 400 bucks had to buy new gears and a differant pinion suport. All I can say is I am sick of working on the rearend...........Good luck with yours...........
Old 11-27-2007, 10:21 PM
12 Second Club

Thanks guys.

Originally Posted by BlackScreaminMachine

Yeah.. and trust me I feel weird bitchin' about it, I really do. I understand that there is a "cost" with getting a bullet proof rear end and that there should be some sacrifice for it but man.. I wish I could take you for a ride in my SS. I just spent $1200 on Stranos and Konis to make the car more enjoyable on long drives only to find I have a new distraction that puts me back a few steps.

I already contacted the sponsor I purchased from and theyre willing to work with me on this. Which is GREATLY appreciated. I will refrain from mentioning them because at this point theyre willing to help out. My intention with this thread was never to bad mouth the sponsor.... just want to make that clear. My intention was to find out if I could have a local shop make adjustments to quiet this thing down.

Thanks again guys.
Old 11-28-2007, 10:52 AM
TECH Addict

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Arrow

Originally Posted by BlackScreaminMachine

When the exhaust AND radio can't drown out the gear whine, I think that might be a little excessive, don't you?

I contacted the person I bought mine from with no luck hearing back from him.

I put another 25-30 miles on mine yesterday (had noise at 65+ mph), with $3.00+ a gallon for gas, I don't want to be wasting gas to break in a faulty rear end, my money tree died a long time ago.
Old 11-28-2007, 12:22 PM
Internet Mechanic

Originally Posted by Billiumss
When the exhaust AND radio can't drown out the gear whine, I think that might be a little excessive, don't you?
Not really.

But then again everyone level of tolerance is different.

If a car is making that much noise, there is most likely a problem ranging from part failure, install error, or just that they are worn incorrectly. Either way gears can be reset but they got a pattern worn in and most likly they need to be replaced.

But be forwarned, no matter how well they are set up, if you launch on them hard, they will get louder.
Old 11-28-2007, 12:26 PM
Internet Mechanic

And from my PERSONAL Exp.

I bought a Moser 12 bolt, straight from them with 3.42's, loud as **** and I never raced the rear, the car broke before I could.

I took the rear and installed it in this car.

Was fine with 3.42's but I blew the Tru Trac due to bad wheel hop.

I had Eastside Perf. (sponsor) install a new tru trac (updated) and a set of 4.10's which was installed perfectly. NO noise on decel and slight while on accelleration.

After about 5000 miles and 10 high rpm clutch dumps it has made a lil whine appear, I knew it was coming, I just enjoyed the silence for a lil while.

The only time I really noticed it was with the windows up, cruising @ 70. With the windows down i cant tell its even there. Just my personal exp....
Old 11-28-2007, 12:36 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My 2 cents.
In a perfect world brand new gears with brand new bearings should be able to be properly installed and there not be any gear whine when driving.

I have done four Dana Jeep Wrangler R&P installs, all were dead silent, no whine period. I have done three GM 10 bolt R&P installs and all had slight whine. The insides of a Dana 30, 35 and the GM ten bolt are the exact same using shimms for the carrier too. Why the 10 bolt is so damn hit miss is beyond me.

I have not had the pleasure of dealing with 9" gears yet, but considering that these gears and rear end technologies have been around since the late 50's leads me to believe that the 9" should run dead silent too when properly set up.

My 9" is on the way and I truly hope the gears run very near silent, I am going to check the gear tooth pattern before install.
Old 11-28-2007, 12:57 PM
12 Second Club

im pretty sure you will need a new gear set because the gears have already been "worn" into eachother. not 100% though.
Old 11-28-2007, 12:59 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Billiumss

I contacted the person I bought mine from with no luck hearing back from him.

I put another 25-30 miles on mine yesterday (had noise at 65+ mph), with $3.00+ a gallon for gas, I don't want to be wasting gas to break in a faulty rear end, my money tree died a long time ago.
the rear wont get much quieter from the first ride you take.
Old 11-28-2007, 04:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Cool

[QUOTE=LS1>girlfriend;8205746]the rear wont get much quieter from the first ride you take.[/QUOTE

Correct, in my case.
Old 11-28-2007, 04:53 PM
TECH Regular

Man, I have a strange Pro nodular case and Motive Performance gears. Absolutely quiet. Guess I got lucky. Or the place I bought the set up from knew what the hell they were doing. Only thing that makes noise on my 9" is the Detroit Locker, But I really don't mind very much and when you are going strait you can't hear anything at all.
Old 11-28-2007, 09:48 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

it took me a few tries to get mine pretty quiet.
when i got it from moser (moser center section) it was dead silent until i raced it after the proper break in. it got kinda loud then REAL loud .
when i took it apart i found they used a crush collar when they set it up and not a solid pinion spacer so of course the original setup position changed.
now i had a local friend/shop build it for me with strange gears, solid spacer and set tight its a little noisy but it hasn't changed in over 15k miles and very very livable. the alternator noise in some peoples radios is louder than my rear to give you a reference.

get it redone locally with good gears and then if theres an issue you pop it out and have them re do it before it gets to bad . like stated it wont get quiter
Old 11-28-2007, 10:30 PM
12 Second Club

Thanks again guys.. I appreciate all the info. Im slated to get the car tuned real soon so Im probably going to get the car tuned real quick then pop the center section out and send it back. We'll see how it goes when I put it back in.... if its no better Ill go local. A lot of my friends have had good luck with the local shop where Im at.
Old 11-29-2007, 10:40 AM
Teching In

Default 9 inch whine

I just installed my new 9 inch and I'm having the same problem. I am trying to contact the sponser who sold it to me. It is frustrating, having spent $2500 on a new rear to have it whine. I'll let you know how what hapens.

Quick Reply: After breaking in 1000 miles on my 9".... can I do anything about the whine?