Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just installed Hooker LT's with no fitment issues !

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2003, 12:49 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Just installed Hooker LT's with no fitment issues !

I just got done installing my hooker LT's and I must say it was more of a chore to get the SLP's out than to get these in, These slid right in with no problems,,,, very nice. I also got lucky cause they are not rubbing on anything, I actually have about a 1/2 inch between the steering shaft and the header so I guess I got lucky with the tolerances. The only thing that happened is I somehow stripped out one of the bolt holes on the steering knuckle so I'll have to get it re threaded by a machinist but no biggy. I am also still waiting for my Y pipe so I have not driven or dyno'd yet. I'm pretty happy so far but a couple of the issues I did notice is that the primarys are thinner than the SLP's and even with ceramic coating on the headers I could already see some rust on the inside. They are also much lighter than the SLP's due to the thinner primaries but hopefully the hookers will hold up. As a comparison I would say that the design of the Hookers is better than the SLP's due to less bends and a better collector, For me the fit was better with the Hookers as well but the SLP's do dominate in the finish department. Now I cant wait to get the y on so I can drive and see if there is a noticeable performance difference.
Old 06-23-2003, 08:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Default Re: Just installed Hooker LT's with no fitment issues !

I installed some Pacesetters last night and IMO this was the biggest PITA EVER!!! I would almost pay the $200 to have them put on if I knew what was involved beforehand. I had to loosen the motor mount and jack the motor up to get the drivers side in place. Took about 6 hours and I still have to put O2's back in and some exhaust clamps!
Old 06-23-2003, 08:22 AM
TECH Junkie

Header installs suck in general, thats some serious stuff having to jack the motor up, with my SLP's I had to loosen the tranny mount and pry it over with a 2x4 lol. I hear the grott style is the easiest to install, who knows maybe one day I'll find out for sure.
Old 06-23-2003, 01:39 PM
1LE
On The Tree

WS6Green, You know we had fun!
Old 06-24-2003, 12:00 AM
TECH Addict

what all did you have to do to get them in there.
Remove oil filter, jack up motor, remove steering shaft, etc.
I'm doing my Hooker LT's this weekend and need some tips.

Thanks
Ryan
Old 06-24-2003, 12:14 AM
TECH Junkie

Here is what I did and it was easy to get them up there but some of what I did I had to do cause the SLP's are so hard to get out.

Remove
starter
plastic peice that goes between starter and block
oil filter
oil deflection plate
coil packs
spark plugs & wires
steering shaft (aka steering knuckle)
Tranny brace (support tranny with floor jack)
I also jacked up pretty high, about 24-30 inches

I pryed the tranny over using a 20 inch 2x4 in the tranny tunnel and both the drivers side and the passenger side slid in, I dont even think they got scratched at all. The tranny trick is what most people use to install the SLP's but I figured since I had it ready to go already cause I took the SLP's out what the heck. Good luck with the install.
Old 06-24-2003, 08:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

I installed my Hooker LTs yesterday, but thankfully I didn't have to remove anything other than the oil diverter plate above the oil filter and do the infamous block grind. The driver's side header is sitting right against the K-member, though, so I'm going to see if the exhaust shop can do something about that while I'm getting the Y-pipe made and put on.

It took my dad and I about ten hours from start to finish. It got frustrating at times, but as soon as I heard the ol' LS1 fire up with open headers, it was worth it.

Josh
Old 06-24-2003, 06:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

I did the install myself...It wasn't that bad...I had to remove the oil passage diverter plate, spark plug wires, and disconnect the steering knuckle...Just make sure you have enough band-aids and get the car high enough in the air...I rolled my car backwards onto some ramps, then I put some jack stands in the front with them fully extended...Hope this helps ...Kevin
Old 06-24-2003, 06:43 PM
10 Second Club

Congrats on the headers.... When I put my headers on I did the cam and converter at the same time. I didnt have any problems.... maybe that is because I droped the k-meber YEP had NO problems puting the headers in
Old 06-25-2003, 10:38 AM
10 Second Club

Did my Hookers by myself in about 4-5 hours taking plenty of breaks. Fit perfect and very easy install, just time consuming. Congrats on the headers. I picked up 23 rwhp and 27 rwtq with mine and off road pipe after MAFT tuning.
Old 06-25-2003, 12:12 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my hookers took me about 8 hour (w/ breaks) to put in. no fitment problems at all. took off the oil diverter/filter & steering shaft and everything went right in. roughest part is getting the old stuff apart if its rusted.

JR
Old 06-25-2003, 01:24 PM
TECH Veteran

why are you taking off your SLP headers and replacing them with hookers...???

....i would consider doing the same thing with my FLPs since they do not fit and bang like hell...I thought the SLPs fit well, however...

...what about the hooker Y-Pipe? ...I need cats to pass NY emmissions.... i thought hookers do not come with a y-pipe that accepts cats.....
Old 06-25-2003, 01:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No cats yet but Jet-Hot is working on a Y-pipe with cats. Mine went in with no problems but we also were doing a cam, valve springs, and pushrods at the same time so total for everything was only 10 1/2 hours. Make sure you get the car hi enough in the air thats the only thing i can say and if something looks like its going to be in the way then take it off. Open headers was mean as hell. Have fun..........
Old 06-25-2003, 05:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ha ha...when I installed my headers it took me about 6hrs with my bro(w/ breaks).

Onyx Z, I agree with everyone else, get the car as high as you can. It's not hard to install, just time consuming. You'll love the sound of an open exhaust....

Mike C, tell me/us if there's any performance gain over the SLP headers.
Old 06-25-2003, 06:55 PM
11 Second Club

Was wondering if u guys used a 3 bolt flanged reducer to hook ur exhaust pipes to ur headers?
Old 06-25-2003, 11:51 PM
Teching In

Im glad everyone elses headers are fitting good..my hooker LT's are still sitting on the steering shaft..at the muffler shop now to get them bent off of it..im betting at least an 1/2 inch bend..I can drive it but every time you turn the wheel its kinda hard to turn & you can hear it scraping..I sure wish I knew why mine hit..I even did an exchange with hooker & same fit on this set too & no my car hasnt ever been wrecked or damaged & motor mount is good & sterring shaft under dash is moved to far left as far as possible..I guess some cars are made different or some LT;s are made different..
Brian
Old 06-26-2003, 01:05 AM
TECH Junkie

I was really suprised that mine fit as well as they did, I just got the y pipe in so Hopefully that fits ok. I was just going to use some stainless band clamps to fit the exhaust together, I think it will work, my SLP's worked ok this way. The only reason I am switching is cause I ordered JPR's cam and HVLD heads and I am trying to duplicate as best as I can his package. I originally was just going to stick the heads on and keep my tr224 and SLP's but we all know how it goes once you get into the thick of things. I got car part fever. Whats funny is I am somewhat attached to them due to the install procedure which is a serious PITA!! After I got them in (and out for that matter) I really felt as if I had accomplished a great task.
Old 06-26-2003, 01:11 AM
TECH Junkie

Oh yeah for robert, QTP sells a y with cats for the hookers but hooker only sells the ORY pipe. I will dyno for sure after I get this setup completed and report back, Only problem is it won't be a direct comparison between hooker and SLP cause I am switch heads and cam as well. My number now with the SLP's were 372 hp and 366 tq, this with 0 tuning (not even maft), no cutout, no shortbelt, the dyno was cut off at 6100 rpm, and it was in the Florida summer heat. One thing I like about my current setup is that the tq curve is almost flat and is very smooth. the hp graph is smooth as well but of course is not flat.
Old 06-26-2003, 01:29 AM
TECH Addict

Yeah, I have access to everything. Lifts, tool, etc.
How is the ground clearance on a car w/ a Pro-Kit and Hooker LT's?

Ryan