Receive your Texas Hunting license online?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2007, 10:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Receive your Texas Hunting license online?

I need my license soon and there isn't any classes offered in my area by the time I need my license. Has anyone ever taken the class online? I found an online course here:

http://www.hunter-ed.com/tx/index.htm

How difficult is it? Is it worth it? How involved is it? I can't seem to figure out how long it will take and how long it takes to get your license. Any other recommendations?

Thanks
-Brian
Old 11-30-2007, 11:17 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you differed the education yet? I got my hunter education differed because I ran out of time to get my education course done. As long as you hunt with someone that has a license you can do this. It cost 10 more and you can only do it 1 time. I did it online as well. If you dont understand go to tpw website and read up on it. Hope this helps, Josh
Old 11-30-2007, 11:41 AM
TECH Regular

I have only started hunting since 02 (was in the Army) and have yet to do the hunters safety course. No problem getting the license either. I just go to Academy and tell them I need a hunting license.

Last edited by DSIM; 11-30-2007 at 11:52 AM.
Old 11-30-2007, 12:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Cam72aro
Have you differed the education yet? I got my hunter education differed because I ran out of time to get my education course done. As long as you hunt with someone that has a license you can do this. It cost 10 more and you can only do it 1 time. I did it online as well. If you dont understand go to tpw website and read up on it. Hope this helps, Josh
I started hunting last season and differed it that one time. So this time season I need to take the course and was wondering about taking it online
Old 11-30-2007, 12:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by DSIM
I have only started hunting since 02 (was in the Army) and have yet to do the hunters safety course. No problem getting the license either. I just go to Academy and tell them I need a hunting license.
How do you keep getting a hunting license without taking the course? You have to take the class by the second time and don't they look that up or you have to show proof you took the course?
Old 11-30-2007, 12:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i got mine when i took some class in highschool but every year when i got to academy or walmart to get my liscense they never ask bout it. so i think you would be fine without it. now maybe if you got caught by a game warden or some **** like that then you might need it or something. haha
Old 11-30-2007, 01:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Do NOT get caught hunting without your hunters education card if you had to take the class. Its a hefty fine and a loss of your license (unless they have changed the laws) and you will have to take the class again. Trust me on that one.

Also I think with the online course you can save it at any spot and finish it later. Shouldnt take more then a day to finish really.
Old 11-30-2007, 01:40 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Brian2006
How do you keep getting a hunting license without taking the course? You have to take the class by the second time and don't they look that up or you have to show proof you took the course?

I have no idea man. I go to Academy, pay for a license, and they give me one. It does say on the license that I have not completed the hunter safety course. Some day I will do it, not today though. Army trained me enough on safety that I cant justify the money for it now if I dont have to..... I hunt on private property so I just need the tags so I can get the meat processed.

EDIT: Found this on TPWD FAQ's:

Originally Posted by TPWD
Important Facts about your certification

* Certification is good for life.
* Texas certification is honored by other states and provinces requiring hunter education.
* You must carry proof of certification or deferral on your person while hunting.
* The card is NOT required to purchase a license.

Last edited by DSIM; 11-30-2007 at 01:46 PM.
Old 11-30-2007, 01:45 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by DSIM
At academy they dont ask you for the card from the hunters education class. But when the game warden checks your license and you dont have the card, bam, fine. I am going to take the class in the spring. Also if you hunt on private land you still have to have it. Game wardens set up check points on the road and check cooler sometime. No tags, no card, no license, no more hunting. I dont agree with the law either, but will follow it to avoid fines.
Old 11-30-2007, 01:51 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Cam72aro
At academy they dont ask you for the card from the hunters education class. But when the game warden checks your license and you dont have the card, bam, fine. I am going to take the class in the spring. Also if you hunt on private land you still have to have it. Game wardens set up check points on the road and check cooler sometime. No tags, no card, no license, no more hunting. I dont agree with the law either, but will follow it to avoid fines.

I understand that completely. I am taking a chance by doing this, but in the 7 years I have been going out, we have never seen or heard from a game warden (its the same property every time). If I should get popped, then I will take the consequences. Like I said, someday I am going to take the course.... someday.
Old 11-30-2007, 03:11 PM
TECH Addict

Its ok man. I wasnt trying to rag on ya.
Old 11-30-2007, 04:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

So... has anyone taken it from this link or taken it online at all?
Old 11-30-2007, 06:35 PM
TECH Addict

I have heard that you can do it online but you still have to go in to an actual class for the practical portion. I think you get your card when you go in for it.
Old 11-30-2007, 07:38 PM
TECH Regular

From the looks of the website you do some of it online and a field exercise. Now that I know you can do some of it online, I *MIGHT* do this before I go out for our next hunt (January 5). If not, it will get done before next season.
Old 12-01-2007, 02:22 PM
On The Tree

You can also get a " deferral" for one season, i think its called, its 10$ and it lets you hunt legally for one season within shouting range of someone who has a license. The online course and one day field course isnt bad, but study the actually online ctuf or you will fail the test lol
Old 12-01-2007, 08:18 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by red95ssclone
You can also get a " deferral" for one season, i think its called, its 10$ and it lets you hunt legally for one season within shouting range of someone who has a license. The online course and one day field course isnt bad, but study the actually online ctuf or you will fail the test lol
Refer to above for deferral, lol.
Old 12-02-2007, 10:18 AM
Teching In

I've taken it in a classroom setting when I was around 11 or 12 with my dad. It was easy then so I assume it should be easy as hell online. The material online and in the classroom should be the same.

Quick Reply: Receive your Texas Hunting license online?