Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

After clutch swap - car shakes violently durring acceleration?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2007, 05:25 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default After clutch swap - car shakes violently durring acceleration?

Can anyone tell me why this might be? I had the stock flywheel resurfaced and installed a RAM Powergrip HD clutch and pressure plate. I didn't replace the pilot bearing because I replaced it about 12k miles ago when I installed my LS7 Clutch. I greased everything, I also installed a prothane tranny mount and I was having some loud weird noises so I switched back to the busted *** old tranny mount and that got rid of the noises but it shakes like crazy, mainly when i'm on the highway in 6th gear and accelerate or go through a turn. It's weird it fades in and out. My driveshaft u-joint straps are tight, I made sure...

I did notice when I went to replace the old clutch that there was fluid all around in my tranny tunnel like it was leaking out the back. I didn't replace the seal yet but could this have anything to do with it? I feel like my car is about to fall apart.

I had a friend helping me and he swears up and down that he tightened all the pressure plate bolts correctly, I did the flywheel bolts so I know they are correct. However we didn't use lock-tite =/. There is only like 300 miles on the clutch at most... I figure if it were loose pressure plate bolts it would shake violently no matter what, not fade in and out. I really don't think this could possibly be the driveshaft... I didn't mark it when I pulled it out but I don't see how it would fade in and out like this if that were the issue.

Any suggestions? I am about tired of working on this car...
Old 12-01-2007, 10:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does it do it when you gradually run in through the RPMs when parked?
Old 12-01-2007, 11:10 PM
TECH Junkie

torque arm bushing?
Old 12-02-2007, 01:01 AM
Launching!

I have the UMI Tunnel mount adjustable torque arm, I re-greased all my UMI suspension stuff today when I changed all my fluids. I'll test tomorrow and see if it does it when parked, I don't think my neighbors would like it if I did it now
Old 12-02-2007, 01:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

With the adjustable torque arm check your pinion angle, I'd be willing to bet its off.
Old 12-02-2007, 02:58 PM
Launching!

I know for a fact it's off I just hadn't taken it to get set yet because I need to throw my new strano front springs on. Would that be able to cause it to do this intermittently?
Old 12-02-2007, 04:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If the driveshaft angle is off you're going to get vibration depending on speed. It won't really be intermittent, just more noticeable depending on what speed you're at.
Old 12-08-2007, 12:26 PM
Launching!

Ok an update, in neutral just sitting in the driveway if I rev it up the car does shake pretty bad. I did install a prothane tranny mount, is this the nature of the mount? It will disappear and certain throttle position/RPM but as it climbs it comes back and gets more and more violent. Think it's the flywheel? I ordered a ram billet steel flywheel a few days ago. I am going to swap that to ease my mind, I don't want to **** up a brand new clutch because I cheaped out on the flywheel. Do you think there is any chance that the clutch disk/pp could be messed up if the flywheel is either out of balance or the PP isn't completely torqued down? Cause that's kinda what i'm feeling it is.

I personally don't think the driveshaft being out of balance is the issue because I lowered the rear of the car, installed adjustable panhard bar and control arms all at once about 3 weeks before we did the heads/clutch. The car drove fine, I never adjusted the pinion angle, it had some more noise because of the rod-ended components but no vibrations we prevalent. Then we did the heads/clutch, my torque arm is off the transmission so it didn't get touched through this whole thing. There is no way the heads or underdrive pulley have anything to do with this vibration so the only thing I can think of is it is either the tranny mount(not likely) or the clutch/pp/flywheel setup since they were all changed.

Has to be the flywheel or not tight enough bolts doesnt it? If it does it just sitting there??
Old 12-08-2007, 03:18 PM
TECH Junkie

did you check the center bolt on the tranny mount that holds it to the cross member...could be lose/gone and thats letting the tranny move around... just a possibility..
Old 12-08-2007, 03:24 PM
Launching!

Yea I have, I changed the mount back to the stock rubber mount and then last weekend back to the prothane mount, it's plenty tight and with a lock nut.
Old 12-08-2007, 06:50 PM

i dont know i had the powergrip with a stock resurfaced flywheel, the ram did shake the car alot when you would excellerate.
Old 12-09-2007, 11:10 AM
TECH Resident

a new flywheel sloved my shake too, it was doing it right before i replace my clutch thought it was the HB then the DS checked mounts everything was good go the clutch and fw replaced and i had no more vibration, now i have 13k on this clutch and it's doing it again and i believe the fw is nutral balanced i dont get it
Old 12-09-2007, 11:49 AM
TECH Enthusiast

If its doing it when you rev it in neutral it has to be the flywheel. Thats the first thing I would check. Good luck

Quick Reply: After clutch swap - car shakes violently durring acceleration?