Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

What did i break???

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2007, 11:30 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What did i break???

So there i was at the track, i had just finished swapping the street tires for the e/t streets and i was teched in. i pull up to the burnout box and burn out, look in the rear view, see smoke, stop the burnout cause the tires smoked easier than normal, i think all is well. pull up to the line, spin. i thought bad track prep, easied into it, spun again, this shouldnt be happening. finially got traction, caught the sti and im shutting down when i look in the rear view, why the hell is it smoking like that. so i pull into the grass in the return lane, ses light blinking and pop the hood. coolant on the battery, traction control unit and strut tower, all looking like it sprayed out of the radiator cap. i notice a little coolant by the #7 header. after it cools down, i pop the radiator cap and its missing about 1/4 of the coolant. ****. i limp it back to the pits and a friend trailers the bird home.

i pulled the #7 plug and this is what it looks like
if you cant tell by the bad picture, the electrode is touching the metal strap and it has the nice milkshake oil/coolant mix on it. the oil is milky also. i believe that i blew a head gasket and maybe hurt something in the #7 piston.... here is the video

i also have the hptuners log of it. it looks like it died in the burnout box.
Old 12-01-2007, 11:42 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well,you have a blown head gasket,as if you didn't know! As far as the plug being like that,something had to come up and hit it,I guess!Regardless,you will find out when you take the head's off! Car sound's good in the vid.Gotta love the blower wine!
Old 12-02-2007, 10:05 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Whenever the electrode is smashed on one of these cars, it normally means that you have chipped off a piece of the piston. Possibly a bad tank of gas, or a failing fuel pump, etc, can cause it to happen. Keep everyone posted. Bob
Old 12-03-2007, 01:11 PM
11 Second Club

i was afriad that i killed something important. i kinda thought it would have been more dramitic, like a pop or something, not just a bunch of smoke out the tail pipe.

any suggestions on a 346ci forged motor???
Old 12-03-2007, 01:46 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by 02NBMFormula
i was afriad that i killed something important. i kinda thought it would have been more dramitic, like a pop or something, not just a bunch of smoke out the tail pipe.

any suggestions on a 346ci forged motor???
lol...be thankfull there wasnt a "pop or something". take it from someone thats heard a POP or BOOM...it aint pretty and costs a boat load of money.

hopefully the heads are salvagable...goodluck.
Old 12-03-2007, 04:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I basically had the same thing happen to me last friday! I was almost at the end of the track when all the sudden the tires broke loose! (almost hit the wall and still ran 6.7) I go back to the trailer and noticed that the radiator overflow's cap had popped off! WTF? Antifreeze was all over the battery and strut tower! ( i haven't looked at the oil YET) The fluid level was low so i just filled it back up and gave it another shot.......happend again so i just said the hell with it and left!

Hope this isn't what is wrong with mine too..... Let me know what happens!
Old 12-03-2007, 04:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If you have a blown head gasket will it pressurize the coolent system under boost?
Old 12-03-2007, 05:22 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by 02' hawk
If you have a blown head gasket will it pressurize the coolent system under boost?
Yes and no, depends on how its blown. It can be either way. But most likely if the gasket is blown then there will be coolant being pressurized and there will be some being forced into the cylinder and burned.

Another scenario for those with high hp or people that detonate the motor hard, is it can lift the cylinder head under power, this will pressurize the coolant and send it out the overflow.
Old 12-03-2007, 05:30 PM
Banned

hey jake.is that a pic of my f1r in your avatar LOL. by the way did my rad and block off plate come in yet.thanks a bunch.

Quick Reply: What did i break???