Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

main bearing fitment

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2007, 06:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default main bearing fitment

I got a set of Clevite mains and cracked them open today to install. Installed the uppers into the block and went to put the lowers in the caps to find the offsets on the tabs were wrong causing the bearing to stick out of the side of the cap about an 1/8th of an inch. Plus they are the wrong diameter. It looks like they put the wrong lowers in the kit. Part number on the box is correct. I'm just wondering if anyone else has ever seen this? Anyone happen to have a set of P bearings that they could tell me the part number stamped on on the lowers?

Last edited by Speed; 12-02-2007 at 06:38 PM.
Old 12-02-2007, 09:06 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do you have the caps reversed?
Old 12-02-2007, 09:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Naaa, every thing is straight on them. They are definitely the wrong lowers. I installed one and it is not only the wrong tab offset but the wrong diameter. Installed in the cap, it also sticks out about 3/16th of an inch through the circumference. Good stuff! I guess I'm going to call Clevite tomorrow and see what this lower actually is..
Old 12-02-2007, 10:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

sometime bearings have a little bit of 'spring' to them, they need to be pushed down into the block/cap. Their is some tension their, are you sure you have them seated all the way?
Old 12-02-2007, 10:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah they are seated properly. I've built quite a few engines so it's not foreign territory. It's just the first time I've seen this.
Old 12-03-2007, 07:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Speed
Yeah they are seated properly. I've built quite a few engines so it's not foreign territory. It's just the first time I've seen this.
Ok, sounds like you know what your doing then, ive never seen that before either. Just curious, where did you buy the bearings?
Old 12-03-2007, 04:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You guys are going to love this..

I called Mahle/Clevite today. Just as an fyi, they have a stupid question form on their site for everything but if you want to talk to a real person, call (734)975-4777. Anyway, so I had them cross-reference the part numbers on the shells themselves. The upper set and both sides of the thrust bearing set are correct. The lower set is for a gen I 400 small block chevy!!!!! WTF lol

Anyway, just throwing that out there in case anyone was ever building a motor and thinks they are going crazy......
Old 12-04-2007, 01:04 PM
On The Tree

This sure gave me a good laugh. The same exact **** happened to me last year and I was so pissed. I ordered Clevite main and rod bearings from Scoggin Dickey and the main bearings were sticking out of the caps about 1/2 inch. I ended up going to Oreilly's and got a set of Federal Mogul/Sealed Power bearings.
Old 12-04-2007, 03:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

That's funny. I've used Clevites in a lot of builds I've done and never had this happen. It's one of those things you know isn't right but you still go back and check and recheck because it's after 5 and there is no way you are going to get the parts replaced tonight.

Worked out because I called the machine shop I got them from and they got me a new set from their supplier that day. Some times, it's worth being local!

Quick Reply: main bearing fitment