Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS6 Intake Install?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2007, 02:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS6 Intake Install?

So I read the how-to on LS1howto, and searched for various threads about the install. But my question comes down to EGR which I do not understand. So my car is a 98 Formula w/ EGR....do certain LS6 intakes not come with EGR connections or do I have to bypass EGR all together? And if I do what will happen, not pass inspection? Im trying to make this as easy as possible, hopefully not removing anything, just swapping the LS6 and being done? Thanks
Old 12-06-2007, 02:25 PM
12 Second Club

as far as i know u will have to get rid of the EGR to swap to a LS6 intake....all you need are the block off plates for your manifolds/headers
Old 12-06-2007, 03:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

The LS6 manifold did not come with any provisions for EGR, SLP was modifying them for some time so that you could retain the EGR. However I dont think they are doing that anymore. Odds are your just going to have to ditch the EGR. Its kind of a pain in the ***, there is an endless amount of hoses, and your SES light will be on until you tune it out, but it will clean up your engine bay and you will shed a few pounds. Not sure whether or not you will pass inspection.
Old 12-06-2007, 04:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

SLP still sells the LS6 w/EGR (PN 30041), at least it's still on their site, if you want to keep it. Deleting EGR involves disconnecting the EGR connector/plug, unbolting it, then one block off plate on the passenger side header, and of course the codes turned off.
Old 12-06-2007, 06:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Nice, when I bought mine they were selling the last of there LS6 manifolds and didnt have anymore with EGR provisions, but awesome if they have put them back in stock. If you can ditch the EGR by all means do it.
Old 12-06-2007, 06:39 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

86 the egr
Old 12-06-2007, 10:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

So does EGR removal make the car fail inspection?

Anyone know what this does? http://www.lingenfelter.com/store/ln0271.html
Old 12-06-2007, 11:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

^^^More than likely, if you're throwing a code for it, like I am. Course i'm throwing codes for EGR, AIR, Cat removal, and all kinda stuff. You'll either need to have it tuned out, or have an inspection hookup.
Old 12-06-2007, 11:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 09CPTN
^^^More than likely, if you're throwing a code for it, like I am. Course i'm throwing codes for EGR, AIR, Cat removal, and all kinda stuff. You'll either need to have it tuned out, or have an inspection hookup.
Understood.

Anyone else know what the above adapter does?
Old 12-07-2007, 10:59 PM
On The Tree

EGR - Exhaust Gas Recirculation. Basically this system takes exhaust gas and runs it back through the engine AGAIN. This is wonderful for emissions, but does nothing for performance. I trashed mine soon after I got the car along with the AIR pump system. That is the one that makes the annoying high-pitched whining sound after cold startup. It just pumps extra air into the cats to get them up to operating temp faster. Also, great for emissions, does nothing for performance. Trashed that too. You WILL throw SES codes when you get rid of it. But, this will allow you to clean up the engine bay A LOT and you can get headers without the emissions fittings. Much cleaner looking. I had all of that stuff removed from the tuning when I got it dynoed. I have passed inspection since then with no problems. Car passes the sniffer just fine. There is 1 catch to all that. When you get it inspected make sure you drive it around for a while before you get there so the cats are good and hot. If they run the sniffer on it while it is cold, it MIGHT not pass cause the AIR pump system isn't there to get the cats hot fast. OK, I have rambled on enough.