Places to see in Austin???

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2007, 04:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Places to see in Austin???

I might be going to Austin next weekend. I'm just wondering where are some good places to eat? I want good local places, no chains. Will be staying at the Four Seasons on first street. And maybe a good bar near that area. I'm going to search online but suggestions would be great.
Thanks
Old 12-07-2007, 04:28 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by osvaldo
I might be going to Austin next weekend. I'm just wondering where are some good places to eat? I want good local places, no chains. Will be staying at the Four Seasons on first street. And maybe a good bar near that area. I'm going to search online but suggestions would be great.
Thanks
I havent been in Austin in 10 years but the place I remembered the most was the Oasis Restaurant that was looking over Lake (Travis/Crystal hell I forgot). It was a restaurant over looking the lake with a seating for over 1500 I think the story had. Medocre food but it's a nice place to start.

You guys in Austin, I knew half of that place burnt down and they rebuilt it, is it still open??
Old 12-07-2007, 04:31 PM
Launching!

and while your there, take about another hour drive towards San Antonio, half way there you will run upon some signs "Natural Bridge Caverns" which is also pretty much attached to a place where you drive your vehicle over 3 miles and look at the animals they have there. You even get to feed them through your window but dont get out. And while your there, do the Schlitterbahn in San Marcos.

When your in Austin, save your energy for 6th street, it's like our Richmond strip here but better probably. Lots of good restaurants there. I ran out of time and room in my stomach.
Old 12-07-2007, 04:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Grimlock1968
I havent been in Austin in 10 years but the place I remembered the most was the Oasis Restaurant that was looking over Lake (Travis/Crystal hell I forgot). It was a restaurant over looking the lake with a seating for over 1500 I think the story had. Medocre food but it's a nice place to start.

You guys in Austin, I knew half of that place burnt down and they rebuilt it, is it still open??
it reopened, it's cool to go with a lot of people there....otherwise it sucks

and to the thread starter, walk out of the front hotel and go to the right on 1st and when you get to ceaser chavez there will be an amazing barbque place

or

go out front and go straight till you hit 6th street, make a right and have a good time
Old 12-07-2007, 04:39 PM
Banned

screw places to eat, when i was in AUSTIN i lived on 6 street. that night life is awesome. there are so many bars with so many different atmospheres!!!
Old 12-07-2007, 05:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Plenty of bars to choose from on 6th to 4th street. Best steak house and seafood in Austin has to be Truluck's. Its on 4th street but I cant remember the cross street, I think Lavaca?
Old 12-07-2007, 05:13 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by cookba
screw places to eat, when i was in AUSTIN i lived on 6 street. that night life is awesome. there are so many bars with so many different atmospheres!!!
I've heard alot about 6th street from my cousin who lives in Austin. Now that I'm 18, I haven't gone to any clubs or anything .
Old 12-07-2007, 05:16 PM
Launching!

hudsons on the bend, its exotic food and pretty expensive, but its really awesome
Old 12-07-2007, 06:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

I recently went to the capital, which I had never visited before. Pretty cool, if you're into that. I thought Stubb's BBQ was cool, along with the Alamo Drafthouse. 6th street for nightlife.
Old 12-07-2007, 07:01 PM
Banned

shady grove, el arroyo, magnolia cafe (for drunk food after the bars), if you want somewhere nice try eddie v's. So many cool spots to go there...
Old 12-08-2007, 06:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

What about a good pizza place or a burger place?
And places to take your younger siblings?
And whats the deal with this bat bridge?
Grimlock thanks for the info on natural bridge caverns, we have been wanting to that for years!
Old 12-08-2007, 09:57 AM
Launching!

Grimlock thanks for the info on natural bridge caverns, we have been wanting to that for years!
We stumbled upon the "bat" thing accidently when we were walking on this bridge with about 100 people for a 4th of july fireworks display. All the sudden like somebody peppering the place. Everywhere you looked it was like a sworm of locust flying to some destination over yonder. I was more worried about getting bat guano on me than anything else. This usually happens right when the sun sets I think. I'm sure an Austinian here can tell you in better detail. Dont forget, after you do the bridge cavern thing, go next door and do the drive in wildlife thing, your kids will appreciate that more. Pizza, burger place your talking about, there is Highland Mall where you have your variety of stuff.

Also, if they/he still does that. On your way out to San Marcos towards San Antonio, when you start to see over passes right when you get out of town, SLOW DOWN! There was always these motorcycle cops sitting right under the underpass covered by the shadows of the over pass. Dont say I didnt warn you
Old 12-08-2007, 10:49 AM
TWS
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Burgers: Hut's. No doubt about it. They are right on 6th Street but a little bit away from the main clubbing area (West towards Mopac)

Pizza: Saccone's if you like NY style (I don't, I like Chicago style) and Mangia. Mangia is on Lake Austin BLVD just over Mopac from the downtown area.

The bats are roosting under the South Congress bridge. They will come out in big waves at sundown. It's a big "ohhh" and "ahhh" for the tourists.

If you are bringing your car and want to attend the local meets, PM me.
Old 12-08-2007, 12:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Nah not my car, taking the gfs beetle. Unless you want to get smoked by that bad *** 2.0 auto with a 11X HP! Yeah my gfs little sis was wondering about the bat thing. I'm scared to get bitten by one!!! Those ******* have rabbies.

What about a breakfast place?
Oh yeah anyone been to the salt lick? Is it wortht the wait?
Thanks for all the suggestions guys!