Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Amp Rack?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2007, 05:24 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Amp Rack?

hey guys, im looking around for a amprack(premade) and i know subthump sells a rear wall amp rack. does any other company or person sell amp racks for right behind the seat? thanks guys

bryan
Old 12-08-2007, 02:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Several people will make their own if the rack is behind the rear seat. Just be carefull as the gas tank is in the same area. The rear wall racks are very simple to install and is much cleaner looking.
Old 12-08-2007, 02:38 PM
TECH Resident

i was thinking that, i just don't really have the time to work at it ya know...im just checking to see if there are any decent premade ones..i can't use the rear wall deck because i am using subthumps ttop box...hmmm any measurement faq on here to build my own?
Old 12-09-2007, 07:47 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There's room behind the seat?
Old 12-10-2007, 02:51 AM
TECH Resident

k not behind the seat, the top of the fuel tank...the flat area before the well
Old 12-11-2007, 01:07 PM
TECH Addict

i made mine,,,

still have room for the T-Tops.
Old 12-11-2007, 02:39 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Bad Blue WS6
i made mine,,,
still have room for the T-Tops.
He's not looking for to place his amp in that location...but your set up looks good.
Old 12-11-2007, 06:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

no no i got a better idea, put the amp in the flat area directly behind the back seats, take your mat thats back there and use it as a template and cut a piece of 1/2 plywood to go over the top and cover it with a matching soft carpet and viola. hidden from prying eyes and can still put stuff on top of it. you only lose the height of your amp plus 1/2 inch of space.
Old 12-14-2007, 08:56 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Subthunp amp rack
Old 12-14-2007, 09:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have my amp located above the fuel tank where the "trophy mat" goes. I placed two pieces of wood under the carpet to screw down the amp to hold it in place and ran the cables under the carpet and through a hole I cut. I too have been thinking of making a rack of some sort to cover it up or make it where you could see through the amp rack to see the amp, but that defeats the purpose if you're trying to hide it from view. I'll see if I can dig up some pics.
Old 12-15-2007, 07:04 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by EvilBLK02TA
I have my amp located above the fuel tank where the "trophy mat" goes. I placed two pieces of wood under the carpet to screw down the amp to hold it in place and ran the cables under the carpet and through a hole I cut. I too have been thinking of making a rack of some sort to cover it up or make it where you could see through the amp rack to see the amp, but that defeats the purpose if you're trying to hide it from view. I'll see if I can dig up some pics.
see that is what i want, but i want to have a couple pieces of wedged wood to angle it to where it meets the top of the back seat. i am currently deployed and i can't really make the measurements right now so i was trying to see if they already made them or if someone had done it and had the measurements.
Old 12-15-2007, 07:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

If you are talking about the rear hump then what you can do is get some MDF board and using a router, cut a line right where the rear panel meets the hump/seatbelt holders and slide it into place, you might have to trim down the panel some. Then bolt the amps right to the wood, it will stay in place without any issues.
Old 12-15-2007, 08:33 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by transambandit
If you are talking about the rear hump then what you can do is get some MDF board and using a router, cut a line right where the rear panel meets the hump/seatbelt holders and slide it into place, you might have to trim down the panel some. Then bolt the amps right to the wood, it will stay in place without any issues.
i like that idea...sounds good, i haven't searched this yet, but you know any good sites that sell some different materials to use so i can color match the interior?
Old 12-15-2007, 09:54 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by bryan04h
i like that idea...sounds good, i haven't searched this yet, but you know any good sites that sell some different materials to use so i can color match the interior?
Drive down to a good car audio place with a sample of the color to match. They should sell carpet in various shades of grey.

Use plywood instead of MDF, the screws will hold much better and it's lighter. I made one as well, check the link on my signature.
Old 12-15-2007, 10:09 AM
TECH Resident

i like that man, i think plywood would be a good choice, cannot go wrong with lighter wood that holds better, thanks!
Old 12-15-2007, 10:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Heres a pic I finally found of my set-up, but like I stated above in the thread, I wanna cover my amp. My idea is to build/buy a rack that starts out at the very bottom, where the t-top cover is and then slopes right up at an angle and follows the contours of the side speakers all the way up to the back seat and meets it flush on top (all carpet matching) It basically be a giant, hopefully light weight piece that would cover the whole fuel tank/trophey mat area and be flush with the sides all the way to top of the backseat. I then wanna have a piece of plexiglass or something that you can see through to have my amp showing, but only my amp. Just how it is now, but with a clear window to look in. Get the idea? I want it basically hidden but be able to see through to view only the amp(kinda contradicts hidding it) but it'd be nice for shows and stuff, which is what Im more gear'd for. I'd have to buy a little fan and put it under the cover to keep the amp cool, but no big deal. Oh, and I would like this whole cover to be removable if I wanted to just take it off. Thats what I would wanna do.....