Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

best monsoon compatible 6.5 speaker

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 11:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default best monsoon compatible 6.5 speaker

Well my sail panel subs are busted and I want to buy some new ones. I cant replace all of my speakers and headunit now, so I just need some info on which 6.5's will sound best with the shitty Monsoon stereo and all stock speakers.
Thanks, Colby
Old 12-11-2007, 03:20 AM
TECH Resident

well i don't think the monsoon system sux..but any cheap 6.5 will work if you dont want to spend the money and wait for some good speakers
Old 12-11-2007, 08:02 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

No, you can't just put any 6.5" speakers in the sail panels. The Monsoon amp filters the signal there for subs so installing full-range or coaxial speakers there will sound terrible (if you get any sound at all).

For a Firebird, your best option is the eD 7kv.2 (formerly EU-700) subs. They are 4-ohm dual voice coil subs just like the factory ones and they sound really good. They are somewhat deeper than the OEM ones so you will need a spacer to mount them. Search on "EU-700" and you'll find a couple of installation threads with photos.

For Camaros there are other options since they use single voice coil subs. CDT makes a really good 6.5" SVC sub that fits without modification.
Old 12-12-2007, 10:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

The Elemental Design 7kv.2 subs are back ordered until january. I guess I am going to go to Best Buy or some speaker shop, on my lunch break and get some new ones.
Most of the 6.5's I've seen dont tell if they are 2 ohm or 4 ohm. I dont want my choices to sound terrible, so what requirments do the 6.5 subs need to be?
Old 12-12-2007, 10:38 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

For a Firebird, you don't really have a lot of choices. There just aren't many 6.5" dual voice coil subs around.

You can install a single voice coil 4-ohm sub but you will be using only one of the two amp channels for a loss of half your power.
Old 12-12-2007, 10:45 AM
TECH Apprentice

I'd say screw the 6.5's. There too much of a pain to find the right kind. I'd buy two 8 inch shallow subs that are DVC and cut out the required amount of metal and make a new template and install them but I like doing things the complicated way.
Old 12-12-2007, 10:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

^ I stll have the stock Monsoon amp, so I dont think 8 inchers would benifit me. Thanks though.
Thanks WhiteBird, So as long as I buy some sort of single/dual voice coil, 4 ohm sub, I will be fine with my stock speakers and amp?
I'm sorry I'm so speaker illiterate; the coils, ohm's, and channels are all WAY over my head.
Old 12-12-2007, 12:57 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have 2 8" subs in my sails and I highly recommend NOT doing that. It sounds fine but I could have acheived the same results with a higher end 6.5" midwoofer. There are many really nice 6.5" midwoofers that I now carry I wish I would've gone with instead. They weren't available to me when I did the cutting...lol! As far as I know and I've done some searching ED is the only company that offers a DVC 6.5" sub. I do carry several 6.5" midbass that are SVC @ 4ohms. Prices start at $89.00 a pair plus shipping.
Old 12-12-2007, 01:33 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Originally Posted by colby72olds
Thanks WhiteBird, So as long as I buy some sort of single/dual voice coil, 4 ohm sub, I will be fine with my stock speakers and amp?
I'm sorry I'm so speaker illiterate; the coils, ohm's, and channels are all WAY over my head.
Just a little explanation...(and don't have the experts jump all over me - I know this is over-simplified):

Speakers have a magnet that is controlled by electrical current through a coil of wire. The changes in that current (from the audio signal) cause the magnet to move the material cone of the speaker creating sound waves. Most speakers have a single coil of wire (called a voice coil) wrapped around the magnet. That's why they have one positive and one negative connection. Some speakers (mostly subs) have two voice coils intertwined around the magnet. They are called dual voice coil and they have four connections - two positive and two negative. The usual reason for dual voice coils is to provide flexibility in wiring the speaker to an amp (different ways of wiring the voice coils together produce different loads on the amp).

The Camaro sail panel subs are single voice coil. Firebird subs are dual voice coil - they have four connections and are wired to run from two separate channels of the Monsoon amp. That is an unusual arrangement in a 6.4" speaker so there aren't many aftermarket options available.
Old 12-12-2007, 01:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

I went to Best Buy on my lunch break, and I dont understand enough about audio to decide. So I am going to wait for now and then hopefully upgrade all speakers with yours (kee), and get you to guide me through through my selection haha. Thanks
Old 12-12-2007, 01:45 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd be happy to assist you any way I can!

Quick Reply: best monsoon compatible 6.5 speaker