Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

98 Camaro~ Carputer, Rearseat delete

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 11:33 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 Camaro~ Carputer, Rearseat delete

Well I don't post much here, just look around. I spend alot of time on CA.com and MP3car.com. I figured i'd post up pictures of my Camaro for you guys.
It's by no means anything special or perfect, but it's what i've come up with the past year and will all be changing this spring.

Here she is

Before i relocated my ac controls (the permanent time)

Slotload DVD Drive

Amprack

Over all (before i got new speaker wire)

HVAC and Window Control relocation
Old 12-11-2007, 01:38 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dude, that's some nice detail work. pretty trick to put the disk reader in the visor. I like the way you relocated the A/C and the window switches too.
Old 12-11-2007, 02:11 AM
TECH Resident

my fav part is the amps where the rear seats were.
Old 12-11-2007, 07:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

all looks great man! (except for the wire running to the sub)
Old 12-11-2007, 07:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

nice work man
Old 12-11-2007, 07:56 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love carputers! Personally I think that the way navigation and multimedia are progressing that a carputer or a version of it is really the direction that car audio will eventually be headed on a more regular basis. Especialy in factory vehicles like minivans and SUV's where entertaining everyone on long trips is a neccessity.
Nice work!!

Last edited by KEE AUDIO; 12-12-2007 at 01:45 PM.
Old 12-12-2007, 12:01 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks guys. And the picture of the back was before i bought new speaker wire. Now it's all hidden
Old 12-12-2007, 12:03 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by KEE AUDIO
I love carputers! Persoanlly I think that the way navigation and multimedia are progressing that a carputer or a version of it is really the direction that car audio will eventually be headed on a more regular basis. Especialy in factory vehicles like minivans and SUV's where entertaining everyone on long trips is a neccessity.
Nice work!!
Especially when you look at the price differences. My favorite part of my setup is the fact that I made my own skin for the frontend so that it's the only one out there that looks like that and it's made with all the features i need and can add on as i feel needed, how many aftermarket units can you do that with? lol
Old 12-12-2007, 07:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Ive followed your thread over at MP3car.com. I LOVE the way you incorporated your set up into your car. I wish I didnt just get my new head unit, because Ide go headunit-less when I do my carputer. But...I like it too much so Im going to have to try to do a remote mount with the faceplate I think.

I have a thirdgen...but I think Im going to try to swap in the 4th gen a/c controls just so I can relocate them just like you have. I already have a 4th gen console, so that part is done. And my window switches are located already. But my HVAC controls are sliders...so Ide need to upgrade to *****.

And that slot load is really trick! My visors would never accept one like yours did, but there are plenty of other spots for those little slot loaders...

Great work!

J.
Old 12-12-2007, 08:38 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks alot ghettocruiser. I'm glad someone got something out of it.

I'll tell you one thing it's weird without a headunit. I unhooked my processor for awhile and found it weird to tap the screen for the volume. I did the carputer in my friends computer and it looked great, my only problem is that i couldn't make on the fly adjustments to my eq settings while driving. I'm planning on getting a Alpine H701 and C701 combo next.

What headunit do you have?
Old 12-12-2007, 11:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Right now I have the Pioneer DEH-P980BT. Its a GREAT H.U. I love the blue tooth feature. I can have the tops out, cruising down the road, with my cut out open and still have a halfway decent phone coversation using the car speakers. The display is also bad ***. I wont post pics or anything because Im sure you know the unit...or can just google it. The screen is great too. I have a little video that place with some pics of my car etc.

Ide like to keep it... And the one thing that I hve going for me that the 4th gens dont, is my radio/hvac pod is separate from the dash. Meaning making my own pod would be VERY easy. Nothing in there but some air ducts, which I dont need, and the HVAC/radio wiring.

So my plan was to move the head unit down (or up), and mount the 7" lilliput in there, as well as the entire computer. Sort of like that guy on mp3car did in the mustang. Built the chassis of the computer to slide right in... But mine wont be modular. If I have to custom make a pod, so be it. Everything in the car is squared off with sharp corners...so fab to match would be easy.

J.
Old 12-12-2007, 01:19 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ghettocruiser
Right now I have the Pioneer DEH-P980BT. Its a GREAT H.U. I love the blue tooth feature. I can have the tops out, cruising down the road, with my cut out open and still have a halfway decent phone coversation using the car speakers. The display is also bad ***. I wont post pics or anything because Im sure you know the unit...or can just google it. The screen is great too. I have a little video that place with some pics of my car etc.

Ide like to keep it... And the one thing that I hve going for me that the 4th gens dont, is my radio/hvac pod is separate from the dash. Meaning making my own pod would be VERY easy. Nothing in there but some air ducts, which I dont need, and the HVAC/radio wiring.

So my plan was to move the head unit down (or up), and mount the 7" lilliput in there, as well as the entire computer. Sort of like that guy on mp3car did in the mustang. Built the chassis of the computer to slide right in... But mine wont be modular. If I have to custom make a pod, so be it. Everything in the car is squared off with sharp corners...so fab to match would be easy.

J.
I'm not sure what you mean by your radio/hvac pod being seperate and mine not.
I didn't even notice that you had a 3 gen. I love those cars so much. I always wanted to do a dash and center console conversion in one of them.
I tried to base my center console off yours with the window switches.

Have you thought about ventalation issues in your dash? How come you're limiting yourself to a 7 inch?
Old 12-12-2007, 02:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Here are some pics... The radio pod is a totally separate piece from the dash itself. Its like a little box... Has two little vents out the side, but like I said, I dont need them. I could block them off with no ill effect.

Kind of gives you an idea of depth.

And I only assumed that a 7" is as big as I could fit in here....but I havent actually measured or looked into screen sizes. However, if I upgrade to 4th gen HVAC controls, and remote mount my face plate, I could probably go bigger...

Nothing in the actual dash would be touched. It would be completly separate in this little pod. In fact...the entire carputer could be removed and replaced as a unit just by unbolting the pod. Thats my idea anyway...

J.
Old 12-12-2007, 02:38 PM
Staging Lane

That has a different dash then what my friends 89 had. Looks like to can get an 8 in there. I think i'd look good if you made a new "pod" that is formed to the center console and square on the top.

How is the conversion from 3rd to 4th gen hvac controls? BTW that center console looks good in there. any thoughts on a full dash conversion? I've been thinking about a firebird dash.
Old 12-12-2007, 02:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Did your friend have an 89 Camaro? If so...then yeah they are different. The radio pod is built into the center console on the maros. All firebirds from 82-92 had the same basic dash, radio pod, console layout. Minor changes here and there, but mostly the same.

The conversion of the controls seems feasable. People have done it, so the knowledge is out there. I doubt is more difficult than any of the other work Ive done to the car.

No thoughts to a dash conversion. For awhile I was contemplating doing a 4th gen firebird dash, with the round vents... But I like my dash better. Plus I just installed the custom gauges and what not...so its there to stay.

J.
Old 12-12-2007, 03:00 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ghettocruiser
Did your friend have an 89 Camaro? If so...then yeah they are different. The radio pod is built into the center console on the maros. All firebirds from 82-92 had the same basic dash, radio pod, console layout. Minor changes here and there, but mostly the same.

The conversion of the controls seems feasable. People have done it, so the knowledge is out there. I doubt is more difficult than any of the other work Ive done to the car.

No thoughts to a dash conversion. For awhile I was contemplating doing a 4th gen firebird dash, with the round vents... But I like my dash better. Plus I just installed the custom gauges and what not...so its there to stay.

J.
Yup it was a Camaro and i loved that thing.

I used Jasons info to do mine and he made my hot/cold cable for me
I like the look of your interior, the gauges are sweet. Are your window and lock switches on the door?
Old 12-12-2007, 04:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Nope. Door locks are on the doors, but window switches are in the ashtray of the console. Lid is still intact so it hides the switches, and the switches are also illuminated by an LED when my headlights are on. Mainly for my passenger as I know where the switches are and dont need to see.

Im going to go look into the 4th gen HVAC controls. I had some too... Sold them along with the dash from the 99 camaro that I used for a donor for my LS1 swap. Should have kept those suckers now that I think about it. haha.

J.
Old 12-13-2007, 09:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

i want to know as mush as i can about your ac relocation. That where i plan on moving mine to but i was going to cut off the cup holder and do a custom length slot to bolt it in. Is that what you did? It looks like its shorter tham stock, I didnt think it would fit without getting rid of the cup holder. More pics and info please!!!! As a whole it looks awesome!

EDIT; sorry, i forgot to ask, whats in place of the window switches? Did you put somthing there?
Old 12-24-2007, 11:32 PM
Banned

wow, sick dash. love the hvac controls lol
Old 12-24-2007, 11:41 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by evilZO6
i want to know as mush as i can about your ac relocation. That where i plan on moving mine to but i was going to cut off the cup holder and do a custom length slot to bolt it in. Is that what you did? It looks like its shorter tham stock, I didnt think it would fit without getting rid of the cup holder. More pics and info please!!!! As a whole it looks awesome!

EDIT; sorry, i forgot to ask, whats in place of the window switches? Did you put somthing there?
Hey, sorry for the late response (my subscription got turned off somehow)
I just cutout the cup holder and molded in the drivers switch bezel. For the doors i just shaved of the switches. Heres the shots of how i cut up everything and the shaved door switches. Hope this helps.

Originally Posted by lsheaven
wow, sick dash. love the hvac controls lol
Thanks alot, I'm waiting till spring to repaint everything.

On a side note i'm working on saving up to put air ride on my car, the one designed by Jason(ww)

Quick Reply: 98 Camaro~ Carputer, Rearseat delete