Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 Install Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2007, 07:18 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LS1 Install Question

I am getting ready to install an LS1 and 4L60E trans into a 62 Chevy II. My question is can I attach the trans to the engine and then install them both, or should I install the engine and then install the trans after the engine is in place?

My concern is the additional weight of the trans when the engine is being picked. I am using a leveling bar with 4 chains that will be attached at each corner to existing holes on the engine heads. I have installed the engine and trans combo many times, but this is my first time with an aluminum engine.

It is a lot easier to install the trans to the engine while it is out of the car. Has anyone installed the engine/trans combo together or know if this will be a problem.

Thanks for the help.
Old 12-19-2007, 07:23 AM
rao
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can do them together - people do it all of the time
Old 12-19-2007, 09:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

They do SBC and BBC all the time with both attached together.. the LS1 weight about 100 lbs less than a SBC... so.. don't worry.. just make it easy on yourself and do them together....
Old 12-19-2007, 09:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

It is WAY easier to install both at once. Have a hleper or two to watch clearances, and it helps if you can have the vehicle raised little. Then you can stab the trans down behind the crossmember, lower everything, and then tilt it into place. It is a lot easier if you have the radiator and core support out as well since you don't have to lift as high.
Old 12-19-2007, 11:01 AM
Launching!

i do them togther all the time even with a transfercase on sometimes
Old 12-19-2007, 12:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

The Chevy II engine bay is what I would consider rather short. Get the car up as high as you can, and come into the bay at a steep angle to get the trans in the tunnel. If this is a stock clip car, remove the front X member, that will make like a bunch easier! And yes, do it as 1 unit, it is a real PITA to get the trans in and out with the engine in place.

Jack
Old 12-19-2007, 03:40 PM
On The Tree

You will probably be very lucky to get it all in one try. I have had my engine in and out several times getting the motor mounts fabricated, frame boxed for the air conditioner and tunnel modified for the trans.
Old 12-19-2007, 04:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

I don't know about his Nova, but our LS1/T56 slides in and out of the Camaro (first gen) like butter. For us, no starter installed, it makes it hard to slide past the pedastal mount on the passenger side. Not impossible, just not nice. We had the subframe lifted about 6 inches to allow the hoist to slide under the tie-rods easily, and to give that long trans more room before it hits the floor. No problems getting it in and out, we did it about 12 times during the install.
Old 12-20-2007, 06:13 AM
Launching!

Do you have the motor mount adaptors?
I am using a Heidts front clip and putting the engine in/ out is not a problem, that is once you open up the trans tunnel.
Removing everything off of the firewall is also a good idea. Depending on the year of the engine there may be interference with the hoses on the back of the engine hitting the firewall.
Old 12-20-2007, 09:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Protect your heater core! It doesn't take much of a nudge with the head to damage it (I know from experience). Remove your wiper motor and brake booster if you really want to have some working clearance.
Old 12-20-2007, 02:50 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for all the tips.

The car has a TCI clip installed. The fenders and radiator support are removed as well as the inner fender panels. The car is up on jack stands. The firewall is bare. No master cylinder or heater core in place.

I have the motor mount adapters that put the motor back about 1". I have not done any modifications to the trans tunnel. Want to wait and see what if anything needs to be done. Don't have a trans mount yet. Again I wanted to get things mocked up so I could see what needs to be done.

I know the motor will be in and out a few times before it is final. My big concern was hanging the trans weight from the motor while it's on the cherry picker.

Thanks again.
Old 12-20-2007, 03:47 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Chevy II

I know the motor will be in and out a few times before it is final. My big concern was hanging the trans weight from the motor while it's on the cherry picker.

Thanks again.

you could always shorten the arm of the cherry picker so the load isnt as far out and get a load leveler to angle the engine and tranny assembly
Old 12-20-2007, 04:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

The engine does not care about the wieght of the trans being bolted to it, and as long as your hoist is rated for the weight, no worries.
Old 12-20-2007, 04:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I agree with 67rsss. also as long the engine/tran is balanced and you don't leave then engine/tran up high.. you should be able to suspend them for as long as you are working on the install.. but once your done for the day/night.. lower them down to the ground or so they are resting on something other than being suspended in the air.
Old 12-25-2007, 12:22 AM
Staging Lane

I know the engine doesn't care about the weight of the trans and I know the cherry picker can handle the load.

My concern was about the bolts attaching the leveler bar chains to the aluminum heads. I didn't want to damage or possible strip the threads out of the heads. The load will be carried by bolting to an aluminum head threaded connection. That was the question.

Thanks for all the input.
Old 12-25-2007, 02:14 AM
DCx
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i installed my ls1/t56 in my 69 camaro using a valley tray engine plate. halndled the load no problem. check it out.

i got it off ebay. carshop inc makes it. worth every penny
Old 01-03-2008, 10:40 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Got em in stock ready to ship 2!

Quick Reply: LS1 Install Question