Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Detailing my engine.......

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2007, 11:18 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Detailing my engine.......

I'm looking to detailing my engine....any ideas on how or what worked for you...any tips would be helpful...thanks in advance...
Old 12-25-2007, 11:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i used to just spray it all down with degreaser, powerwash it, then dry it with an air gun and silicone the whole thing. then wipe it all down.
Old 12-25-2007, 11:41 AM
On The Tree

Hey ss4matt did any of your engine get damaged when you did this???and whats the silicone for?
Old 12-25-2007, 11:48 AM
FormerVendor

https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearance-detailing/159036-proper-cleaning-lsx-engine-bay.html
Old 12-25-2007, 12:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 02 hawk
Hey ss4matt did any of your engine get damaged when you did this???and whats the silicone for?
never had any problems, and the silicone was to make everything shiney (basically like "tire shine" or something of the likes) except i have a 55 gallon drum of it at work. I used to do the same thing to just about every vehicle that came through my work, never had any problems except with Ford F150's with the triton and Range Rovers, so we stopped doing it all together.
Old 12-25-2007, 12:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

I just use a light amount of simple green cut with water and spray lightly, and only leaving on for 2-3 minutes. Simple green is not liked too much by alum, so be carefull. Then I use no pressure water hose followed by the leaf blower to dry it off. Then I use CD-2 Engine Detailer. Been doing this for years.

Last edited by sleepinghawk; 12-25-2007 at 12:26 PM.
Old 12-25-2007, 01:56 PM
JDP
TECH Fanatic

ya, tire shine makes a world of difference, when i worked at a car wash back in the day, i used to detail my engine bay in my probe. and used a lot of tire shine, it makes every dirty hose look brand new, definately worth doing, cause the car had 90k miles, was a '94, and the engine looked damn near brand new
Old 12-25-2007, 03:32 PM
On The Tree

hey sleepinghawk that one clean hawk you have there.....im gonna try cleaning the engine...hope i dont f something up....
Old 12-25-2007, 05:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 02 hawk
hey sleepinghawk that one clean hawk you have there.....im gonna try cleaning the engine...hope i dont f something up....
Thanks! Mine is a Daily/ Driver so I keep it clean. If you have a 2002 also then more than likely you won't need to use anything other than what I use. I just have dust that will stick to the detailer I use even when I try to just use a little. Just be careful of the amount of water pressure. I use pressure washers at work but not on my car. Your car should not be that dirty to use a pressure washer on it. Good luck either way.
Old 12-25-2007, 05:11 PM
On The Tree

This is a copy and paste from another website where I posted but it applies here too...

_______

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Simple Green is very light product. It will leave hard water marks on the inside of the fenders and unless lightly soiled, it will not break down grease or oil. I love SG for light cleaning - not the engine compartment. If you're looking for a great all around degreaser get the product from Safe Rust Remover. Nothing like it and its safe to use on paint. Hit the inner fenders, plastics, metals etc with 3M hand glaze. Any bright chrome/metal/polished stainless etc use some Blackfire Heavy Cut Metal Compound. I do this on my Camaro with great results. Another great product to use is Meg's Super Degreaser. When you're all done, dress the motor with Aerospace 303 Protectant and you'll be in business.

Spraying down the motor with a hose/water is not good idea. What most guys do not know is what happens after you spray down the motor. Without properly drying your electrical connections, the connections are proan to developing water condensation within. In other words, electrical problems are caused from corroded connections (from the inside-out). Be very careful when spraying any water on the motor.

I have been detailing cars for about 10 years. Started off small scale and now serve customers with the everyday Saturn to the impressive Shelby Series One (and everything in between). Take my advice above, you'll thank me later. I would love to help member's of the forum. Any questions? Shoot 'em my way.

-Dan
Old 12-25-2007, 06:16 PM
On The Tree

Hey dbanks so you're saying dont spray any water in the engine bay?????So confused????

Last edited by 02 hawk; 12-25-2007 at 06:17 PM. Reason: wrong name
Old 12-25-2007, 06:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would say use your discretion. a newer car with good electrical connections wont leak water into the connector itself, where-as an older car with worn out seals on the connectors will. If giving advice, a professional will usually say not to spray water in just because they dont know the condition of everyones connectors and dont want to be responsible for issues.

If you think about it this way, water gets into your engine bay sometimes when it rains out. if those connectors cant take any water then youd have issues. I still wouldnt advise anyone to spray a pressure washer directly at an electrical connector, but if it gets wet while washing down the rest of the engine bay then i dont think it would be a big issue.
Old 12-25-2007, 06:39 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by fast01z28
I would say use your discretion. a newer car with good electrical connections wont leak water into the connector itself, where-as an older car with worn out seals on the connectors will. If giving advice, a professional will usually say not to spray water in just because they dont know the condition of everyones connectors and dont want to be responsible for issues.

If you think about it this way, water gets into your engine bay sometimes when it rains out. if those connectors cant take any water then youd have issues. I still wouldnt advise anyone to spray a pressure washer directly at an electrical connector, but if it gets wet while washing down the rest of the engine bay then i dont think it would be a big issue.

MODERATE (at best) amounts of water get into the engine compartment when it rains. If you're hosing down the motor, you're forcing mass amounts of water into a confined area very quickly. When the motor heats up, it causes the water to turn into steam or water vapor. This vapor rusts your electrical connections. In theory hosing off the motor seems like a good idea. In practice, you're asking for trouble.

I never hose down motors. There are thousands of cleaners out there that do comparable jobs to water.
Old 12-25-2007, 07:15 PM
On The Tree

hey dbanks what cleaner do you suggest.....never cleaned my engine before
Old 03-18-2008, 01:28 AM
Staging Lane

ok now im really confused, to clean or not to clean? car already has issues...
Old 03-18-2008, 01:35 AM
11 Second Club

I detailed cars at a dealership for 2 years. I always used a powerwasher on the engine bay of cars. 3-4 cars a day...I never had ONE car have related problems to the engine being wet. Of couse these were mainly newer cars..1998+. I wash the engine bay in my truck everytime I give it a good wash. No problems.

Quick Reply: Detailing my engine.......