Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

I love Christmas

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2007, 05:20 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I love Christmas

Hey all,

You know what I got for Christmas? Yep, you guessed it! Car stereo stuff.

I got a Blaupunkt Kingston MP47 Head Unit, Alpine SPS-17c2's for the doors, and CDT M6's for the Sail Panels.

I'm going to start installing today. The question that I have is... what should I do first?

I was going to start with the speakers and make everything is right before I started on the HU.

Or do you think I should do the HU First?

Any thoughts? Suggestions?

Thanks,
Steve
Old 12-30-2007, 05:31 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

it doesn't really matter.....it's all going to get replaced, anyway.....

if you wanna be careful about it, just do one thing at a time and test it before moving onto the next one. that can help you pinpoint any problems you may occur along the way.

but personally....i would do the hardest part first (the front door speakers)......once you're done with those, it's a downhill struggle the rest of the way.
Old 12-30-2007, 05:44 AM
On The Tree

Your right that will be the hardest, at least for me anyway. Wiring the tweeter components off the HU. I'm definately not a stereo guy but have done a lot of reading on here.

The question I have is how good are the tweeters on the SPS-17c2's vs the stock tweeters in my car? Should I stick the stock tweeters, use the SPS-17c2's tweeters, or try to run the old and new tweeters in series?

My concern is whether my sound stage will effected because the tweeters are mount in the center of the woofer on the SPS's. Thoughts?
Old 01-02-2008, 05:59 PM
On The Tree

Hey all,

Well I did it! I installed everything and it is awsome. Thanks to all the great threads from folks like Rogue Leader, Whitebird00, and many others I was able to plan out and install my audio upgrade.

I installed a Blaupunkt Kingston MP47 Head Unit. I spliced and soldered all the connections and I even mounted a push button switch for my antenna so it wouldn't go up every time I turned on the head unit (I very rarely listen to the radio). It is USB compatible with a thumb drive in my glovebox and I can change the display color to match my dash lighting. The thing is easy to use and works flawlessly.

I installed the Alpine SPS-17c2's in the doors following instructions I found on here to wire the woofers and tweeters from different sources. The Alpines offer so much more clarity over stock,

I installed CDT M6's for the Sail Panels following instructions I found on here. This was the main reason why I started this, I blew one of the Stock Subwoofers. The CDT's work great but not a significant difference over stock.

I also installed some sound deadening in the doors and sail panels. I used Frost King Duct Insulation which was convenient to purchase at my local Home Improvement Center and less expensive than some of the alternatives.

I still need to play with the settings some to achieve the exact sound that I want. But overall I'm very pleased with the results and with myself since I'm not an Audio guy.

Thanks to all you guru's out here on LS1tech!!

Steve
Old 01-02-2008, 07:03 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by steveb1
I installed CDT M6's for the Sail Panels following instructions I found on here. This was the main reason why I started this, I blew one of the Stock Subwoofers. The CDT's work great but not a significant difference over stock.
They should sound a bit better and should be a lot harder to blow. But 6.5" speakers don't make good subwoofers. You NEED a proper box to get them to sound anywhere near good. That's why I recommend a stealthbox in my sig. I made a thread about sail panel replacements and decided it's just not worth it.
Old 01-02-2008, 07:12 PM
On The Tree

I was trying to maintain a stock look so I'll stay with this for a while. Perhaps sometime in the future I'll consider putting a Sub in back to supplement this setup.
Old 01-03-2008, 12:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Old 01-03-2008, 07:19 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Italiankid77
Sorry but I didn't take pics of the install.

Here are some night pics of the headunit. The yellow display is actually red in real life and matches my dash lights exactly.

Old 01-04-2008, 12:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Nice.