Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Is it my car or does the stock shifter blow?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 07:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it my car or does the stock shifter blow?

My stock shifter seems to be "inaccurate" for the lack of a better term. I really have to the push the shifter into reverse to make sure it's engaged. The same goes for first gear. I've thrown it in first quickly, but as it did not fully engage, the tranny begun to grind as I released the clutch (and of course, quickly clutched in again).

As I am going from gear to gear, I'm hitting a bunch of bumps and random clicks. What kind of shifter do I have to buy to get that precise, short throw, easily "click" into gear feeling?
Old 01-02-2008, 07:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

It might not be all in the shifter. Could be transmission issues. A cheap way to help eliminate some causes could be to buy a WS6 store short stick to replace the stock stick that has the soft rubber bushing. It should help you feel more of whats going on. Do you have a factory hurst shifter or the regular shifter? The regular shifter may have clearance problems with the center console (mine did). but its cheap so I would try it anyway. If its still tough to get into 1st or reverse and you are pretty sure its the shifter, I have the Hurst Billet plus with the WS6 store short stick. I think it feels great.
Old 01-02-2008, 08:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

pro 5.0 if you want a notchy shifter or a b&m ripper-both are pretty good i have a pro 5.0 myself and its pretty good after you get use to it-you just have to make sure your hands aren't faster than your feet or you'll miss gears when you race.
Old 01-02-2008, 08:11 PM
TECH Resident

Try a Lou's Short Stick. I love mine.
Old 01-02-2008, 09:09 PM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

I hate stock shifters, they are shitty.
Old 01-03-2008, 07:32 AM
TECH Junkie

just replaceing the stick will make a HUGE difference in the feel of the shifter.

but as suggested, a whole new shifter is the best way.

another option is to look for the factory installed Hurst units from the SS or WS6 models. they usually are pretty cheap, typically around $50. you'll get shorter more positive shifts, and with a short stick it will be even better.
Old 01-03-2008, 04:24 PM
TECH Regular

mine does exactly what your describing! I have purchased a ws6 SS to see if that helps the issue, I just hope it doesn't have clearance issues as mine isn't equipped with the factory hurst. I'd say try the short stick or different shifter and if the prob persists its the trans. (thats how I figure it) just my .02
Old 01-03-2008, 04:35 PM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Unhappy

Originally Posted by newton
My stock shifter seems to be "inaccurate" for the lack of a better term. I really have to the push the shifter into reverse to make sure it's engaged. The same goes for first gear. I've thrown it in first quickly, but as it did not fully engage, the tranny begun to grind as I released the clutch (and of course, quickly clutched in again).

As I am going from gear to gear, I'm hitting a bunch of bumps and random clicks. What kind of shifter do I have to buy to get that precise, short throw, easily "click" into gear feeling?
If your clutch was fully releasing you wouldn't have those problems nearly as much. Go do the drill mod to your line and bleed it.