Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

exhaust system set up question

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 02:29 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default exhaust system set up question

ok since i got long tubes i had my friend make a custom y pipe but it was hard to put OBII cats on there so i took both of them off and put one OBI cat on.... but it only putting back pressure on one side and not the other.....i was just wondering is that bad for the car?
Old 01-06-2008, 02:48 PM
TECH Resident

why don't you just run it catless....?
Old 01-06-2008, 02:50 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by bryan04h
why don't you just run it catless....?
i really do want to do that......but......first....i heard that it creates knock...running catless thats just what i heard i am not sure though..... and second........would that sound Super loud....
Old 01-06-2008, 03:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Catless does create some rasp and slightly increases power. I would love to run catless on my next setup but its a federal crime if you get caught, of course officer dictating. I live close to a military post and the police aren't friendly.
Old 01-06-2008, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by Moscosoalfredo
and second........would that sound Super loud....
Isn't that the point? Who wants to be running stock? All three of my cars have aftermarket exhaust. My '99 SS has an ORX into a TSP rumbler dumped before the 12 bolt. It is only marginally louder than my '01 SS. On the '01 SS I have LT's into a high flow catted Y and out through a LM, for about another 2 weeks, and it is very loud too. I think you have opened up a can of worms here that will require way too much engineering to make it work. And when you do make it work it may well defeat most of the gains you would have gotten from the headers and an ORY in the first place. Do yourself a favor and order an ORY. BTW, what exhaust system do you have?
Old 01-06-2008, 05:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ryanmgaspard
Catless does create some rasp and slightly increases power. I would love to run catless on my next setup but its a federal crime if you get caught, of course officer dictating. I live close to a military post and the police aren't friendly.
Now your car has to be super loud for you to get caught catless right? Its not like you go to get it inspected and then somone calls the cops because u dont have cats on it right?
Old 01-06-2008, 06:30 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Rowin Gearz
Isn't that the point? Who wants to be running stock? All three of my cars have aftermarket exhaust. My '99 SS has an ORX into a TSP rumbler dumped before the 12 bolt. It is only marginally louder than my '01 SS. On the '01 SS I have LT's into a high flow catted Y and out through a LM, for about another 2 weeks, and it is very loud too. I think you have opened up a can of worms here that will require way too much engineering to make it work. And when you do make it work it may well defeat most of the gains you would have gotten from the headers and an ORY in the first place. Do yourself a favor and order an ORY. BTW, what exhaust system do you have?
SLP loudmouth
Old 01-06-2008, 07:40 PM
Banned

i have straight pipes from the cats back and it is very loud. i am doing a cam header swap as we speak and have no choice (lack of funds to get high flows) but to do open headers, and i'm sure it's going to be loud as seven hells. which makes me wonder about backpressure issues as well.
Old 01-06-2008, 07:48 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by lightemupls1
i have straight pipes from the cats back and it is very loud. i am doing a cam header swap as we speak and have no choice (lack of funds to get high flows) but to do open headers, and i'm sure it's going to be loud as seven hells. which makes me wonder about backpressure issues as well.
thats what i was thinking...... i think i am just going to buy some high flows and true duel it