Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Need a large ring terminal for my ground wire

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 06:36 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Need a large ring terminal for my ground wire

I was working on amp and the damn f*****g ground wire came out of its f*****g connector again. Anyone know where I can get 4 gauge ring terminals that have extra large rings to go around large bolts? I use the seatbelt bolts near the hatch speakers. What I've been doing is taking a 0 gauge terminal, dremelling part of the ring off to make it open (more like a spade, but it has more spread) and dremelling some of the metal that wraps around the wire to give it room to clamp down on my 4 gauge wire. It's a pain in the ***. Also, what's the cheapest crimping tool for 4 gauge? I don't have a vice - been using a hammer. Another pain in the ***. And I don't wanna spend $30+ on tools I've seen.
Old 01-09-2008, 08:32 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by dragonrage
I was working on amp and the damn f*****g ground wire came out of its f*****g connector again. Anyone know where I can get 4 gauge ring terminals that have extra large rings to go around large bolts? I use the seatbelt bolts near the hatch speakers. What I've been doing is taking a 0 gauge terminal, dremelling part of the ring off to make it open (more like a spade, but it has more spread) and dremelling some of the metal that wraps around the wire to give it room to clamp down on my 4 gauge wire. It's a pain in the ***. Also, what's the cheapest crimping tool for 4 gauge? I don't have a vice - been using a hammer. Another pain in the ***. And I don't wanna spend $30+ on tools I've seen.

Either pay someone else to do it or buy the crimper tool. A loose ground wire is not a good thing to have moving around in your car, it's just going to turn into a crash course in "how arc welding works".
Old 01-09-2008, 08:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Welding supply shops, and you'll wonder why you ever spent so much on terminals after that..

when I do mine, I use a dulled chisel to stake the center of the wire hole lengthwise, then hammer it down.. Haven't had a single connection come loose in years.

I'd be alot more worried about the 12v+ wire than the ground wire tho..
Old 01-09-2008, 08:54 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Eskimo
Welding supply shops, and you'll wonder why you ever spent so much on terminals after that..

when I do mine, I use a dulled chisel to stake the center of the wire hole lengthwise, then hammer it down.. Haven't had a single connection come loose in years.

I'd be alot more worried about the 12v+ wire than the ground wire tho..
It's still the same 12v.... It will do exactly the same thing.
Old 01-09-2008, 08:54 PM
On The Tree

You could also look into buying one that has a hex head set screw... I've never had one of those come loose on me.
Old 01-09-2008, 10:21 PM
Staging Lane

I haven't put my ground in but I am just going to put a big screw threw it and screw it into the body of the car under the carpet somewhere.
Old 01-09-2008, 10:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah same here im finishing wiring my amp tomorrow took a couple hours of work already just to get the damn 4 gauge wire through the firewall without taking a single part off.
Old 01-09-2008, 10:40 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by italicizedsponge
Yeah same here im finishing wiring my amp tomorrow took a couple hours of work already just to get the damn 4 gauge wire through the firewall without taking a single part off.
Yea I feel ya!!!! Did you take out your BCM and install it that way?
Old 01-09-2008, 10:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

nope i didnt take anything out i bent back the plastic panel under the glove box and shoved a screw driver through the firewall, then i fit my arm in by the pcm and somehow taped the wire to the screw driver and then went back in the car and pulled the screw driver through and pulled the wire with it. it took like 3 tries before it came in with it but i didnt have to put anything back together. and im only 18 with skinny arms so i can fit it in by the pcm without taking it out.
Old 01-09-2008, 11:03 PM
Staging Lane

nope i didnt take anything out i bent back the plastic panel under the glove box and shoved a screw driver through the firewall, then i fit my arm in by the pcm and somehow taped the wire to the screw driver and then went back in the car and pulled the screw driver through and pulled the wire with it. it took like 3 tries before it came in with it but i didnt have to put anything back together. and im only 18 with skinny arms so i can fit it in by the pcm without taking it out.
Yea I am 18 as well, but I couldn't get my hand to slip past the bcm so I had to take it out and then it was EASY just popped it through that grommet looking thing then unscrewed the screws under the dash and ta da! It was a pain running the wires but I felt really good knowing I did it myself.
Old 01-09-2008, 11:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yeah me too why pay someone else to do it? systems are easy as cake to install. just have to have the patience and time to do it. and when u ran your power wire was it a pain to fit under the passenger seat belt bolt thing under the floor panel. im trying to lift up the carpet to fit it in there with that other wire tube thats in there but the rockford 4 gauge wire is so damn thick lol.
Old 01-09-2008, 11:57 PM
Staging Lane

yeah me too why pay someone else to do it? systems are easy as cake to install. just have to have the patience and time to do it. and when u ran your power wire was it a pain to fit under the passenger seat belt bolt thing under the floor panel. im trying to lift up the carpet to fit it in there with that other wire tube thats in there but the rockford 4 gauge wire is so damn thick lol.
After I ran it through the firewall i stuffed it up under the black looking thing where the passengers feet are, then ran it all the way through my middle console (just took out passenger front and rear seat ) and lifted it up where it met the carpet and put it in, then ran it under the carpet and there is a big hole of open-ness under the rear passenger seat. Pulled it through that then ran it along the panel to the right of the rear passenger seat all the way to the hatch area. Ran it under the carpet and cut holes to right where my amp is, just pm me or something and I will try to get pictures if you need them.
Old 01-10-2008, 12:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i get what you're saying. ill look at it tomorrow when i finish wiring everything
Old 01-10-2008, 12:11 AM
Staging Lane

i get what you're saying. ill look at it tomorrow when i finish wiring everything
Ok I tried to explain it to give you a good vision. If you want shoot me a pm and ill give you my #
Old 01-10-2008, 08:06 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SlowBurn

Either pay someone else to do it or buy the crimper tool. A loose ground wire is not a good thing to have moving around in your car, it's just going to turn into a crash course in "how arc welding works".
It came out while I was working on crap, and it was off at the time. I just removed the wire for now.
Old 01-10-2008, 05:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SlowBurn
It's still the same 12v.... It will do exactly the same thing.
A ground wire would only spark as bad as the current that the component it's attached to is trying to pull.. i.e. you won't get much from a 5w light bulb, but you damn sure would from a starter motor.

A 12v+ wire would arc weld until it melted, carrying as much current as it possibly can.
Old 01-10-2008, 06:38 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Eskimo
A ground wire would only spark as bad as the current that the component it's attached to is trying to pull.. i.e. you won't get much from a 5w light bulb, but you damn sure would from a starter motor.

A 12v+ wire would arc weld until it melted, carrying as much current as it possibly can.
That's exactly what I'm saying. It's still part of that same 12v circuit with as much current as whatever amp he is using is drawing. I don't know about his, but the 40A my amp can draw is not something I'd want sparking.
Old 01-10-2008, 09:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Uh yeah, but the 12v will try and carry 300+ amps instantly, or whatever the wire can support, not the far less an amplifier will typically pull.

THE main difference is that when you touch the ground wire to the car, you're completing a circuit. When you touch the 12v+ wire, that's a dead short. MUCH worse.
Old 01-12-2008, 03:37 AM
Launching!

Default terminal

u could just cut the terminal in the middle and spread it and that works good. Believe it or not but wal mart has alot of crimpers that are under 10 bucks
Old 01-12-2008, 04:51 AM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i hated finding a good ground point, seems like i would find a good ground point only to have it go to **** 3 months later. Now i just use the negative terminal on the battery for my ground. have had it hooked up like that on my girlfriends zx2 for 3 years on an 800watt amp without any problems

Quick Reply: Need a large ring terminal for my ground wire