Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

what is all needed for single turbo setup?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 11:24 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what is all needed for single turbo setup?

Was curious once i get rid of my S-trim i was thinking either going to a T-trim or go turbo. what all is needed for a turbo setup? single setup

LT1 setup

special headers
piping
turbo-BOV
FMIC ( i have)
oil lines- npt fittings
computer tune-have fuel system setup
maybe aftermarket fans-radiator
Old 01-11-2008, 11:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

needed
wastegate

optional
alk injection
Old 01-11-2008, 01:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

needed $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$4
Old 01-11-2008, 02:19 PM
TECH Resident

Looking on ebay at turbos i can get one pretty cheap but no clue how good they are. i know garret makes good stuff. never heard of the other types on there. so even if i pieced this together instead of a kit i'm still looking at like $5,000.00 correct?
Old 01-11-2008, 03:53 PM
TECH Addict

For the millionth time do not get an ebay turbo.............. unless you want to try it out and get back to us.

Call up a sponsor and get a legit kit. There are threads going on as there is always about what kit to get and what's the current best to go with.

Or look in the classifieds, I got a kit with only 500 miles on it and the price I won't even mentioned. It honestly doesn't look like it was even used, maybe pass for mock up and a dyno run

Its all what your after but prepare to buck up no matter which way you go. 5000 g's may get you a kit but beleive me there is a long way to go from there before you kit is COMPLETE. Than you need a sound drivetrain, tires, fuel system, gague's, allot of misc, etc. I could go on all day, ohh ya than the nonformentioned things randomly dying, tweaking, etc. Welcome to FI, but how do you make a 1000+hp without a hairdryer
Old 01-11-2008, 04:28 PM
TECH Resident

well my motor is forged and has upgrades like i said i was running a S-trim. the fact of i never drive my car its not worth it to spend the money on a turbo then.
Old 01-12-2008, 11:25 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 94blownz281
Was curious once i get rid of my S-trim i was thinking either going to a T-trim or go turbo. what all is needed for a turbo setup? single setup

LT1 setup

special headers
piping
turbo-BOV
FMIC ( i have)
oil lines- npt fittings
computer tune-have fuel system setup
maybe aftermarket fans-radiator
turbo (not an ebay special)
Hotparts (consists of O2 bungs, flanges/clamps, flex section depending on how you design it)
cold side piping/ silicone connectors/ t-bolt clamps
oil feed and return lines and associated fittings as you mentioned
wastegate
BOV
intercooler
fab an IB support bracket
depending on where you mount the turbo, you may need slimmer electrci fans for clearance.

Jon
Old 01-12-2008, 03:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

My turbo setup is costing around 3000 (and that's a highball estimate). If you know where to spend and where to put money smartly then you can make it work. You just need to look for deals and have realistic goals. I only have $1,262 in it so far and only thing I have left is to get a FPR (120 bucks), fuel lines (200 bucks), fuel filter (80 bucks), muffler (60 bucks), injectors (360), and a few miscellaneous pieces for the tb transition and maybe some more heat wrap (probably 200 bucks as I don't know if 100 feet will hold me). There are a few small things here and there that add up but spend wisely and it can be done on a budget. If I was only going with 42 lb injectors and just a drop in fuel pump it would be even cheaper. But I got an A1000 for a great deal and am building for when I go forged. I may even upgrade to the 80mm version of the S400 before I put it together seeing as I have a bunch of cash left.

Oh and I'm selling my LT's/Exhaust, lid/filter, and a few other things to eat up a lot of the cost. Go me.

Marty
Old 01-12-2008, 04:06 PM
9 Second Club

it can definatly be done for under 5k doing it yourself.
I got a hobart handler 140 mig welder, craftsman 10 inch band saw. Only tools ill need.
I got a PTE 76 turbo with 1.12 ar. It should be a great turbo. I got a tial 50mm bov, 44mm wastegate. My whole fuel setup, with 60 pound injectors. All the 2.5 3 inch, and 4 inch pipe. 02 bungs, silicon couplers, 6.0 truck manifolds, Garret Fmic, new spark plugs.

More or less i got a list, and its complete. Ive kept track of all the prices, and even with 500 bucks on a tune, it is @ 4700 and change right now. I know this isn't complete. I will have to do a rear end, **** will break, and i will need things along the way, fluids ect.

For me i have been collecting stuff since mid nov, and i have never been overwhelmed with all i had to buy, because i did it week by week.

Good luck, Chris
Old 01-12-2008, 04:18 PM
Staging Lane

Turbo manifold, wastegate, turbo, downpipe and exhaust piping/kit, coldside piping, FMIC, BOV, injectors, fuel pump, tuning, clutch, rearend, etc.

$$$ lol.
Old 01-13-2008, 05:27 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks for the input everyone! guess i will just stick with my blower setup then. since i have everything i already need for that. i don't have tools to fab up my own exhaust cold/hot parts. don't know anyone personally to help me out with a turbo build either. was just curious,and forgot to include a nunch of other needed items as people posted. i have heard that turbo cars are way more maintance then blower cars. guess its who you talk to ans how the car is used.
Old 01-13-2008, 06:37 PM
TECH Addict

Yes, turbo systems have many factors and vary b/w kits, etc. A basic blower setup will most likely on average be less hastle but turbo's IMO are better in the end if taken the time to setup correctly. Good Luck, either way FI is the most fun

Quick Reply: what is all needed for single turbo setup?