Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 08:39 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Photos - 315s tires on all four corners

My car is riding on:

1. Front - 17x11x35 wheels, 315x35x17 Verdestein tires
2. Rear - 17x11x50 wheels, 315x35x17 Verdestein tires

All four corners bolted right on with no modifications. Ride is stock 1LE srings, HD Belisteins, adj. PHB, adj LCA, Samie bars front/rear.

No wheel spacers were used.

...car just GRIPS around corners like a F1!
Attached Thumbnails Photos - 315s tires on all four corners-camor.front.2.jpg   Photos - 315s tires on all four corners-camaor.back.jpg   Photos - 315s tires on all four corners-camaro.side.6.jpg   Photos - 315s tires on all four corners-camaro.quarter.2.jpg   Photos - 315s tires on all four corners-camro.flank.2.jpg  

Last edited by robertbartsch; 01-14-2008 at 03:16 PM. Reason: more photos
Old 01-14-2008, 09:27 AM
TECH Veteran

I have one issue; the rear wheel center caps that came with the Factory Reproduction ZR1 wheels do not work. The rear hub pushes the center cap off when the wheel is bolted on the car.

...any ideas on this?
Old 01-14-2008, 03:17 PM
TECH Veteran

I added some additional shots in the first part of this thread.
Old 01-14-2008, 10:44 PM
TECH Addict

do they rub when u turn hard? it seems like they should!
Old 01-14-2008, 10:54 PM
Staging Lane

Did you have to do any modification to the fenders, or 1/4's? Those look SICK!
Old 01-14-2008, 11:46 PM
TECH Veteran

No mods were done to the fenders or quarter panels (e.g., fender rolling, BMH, etc.); the wheels merely bolted on.

I used ZR1 style 11 inch wide wheels since they readily come in both 50mm offset and 36mm offset sizes. The 36mm offset wheels were used on the fronts with no spacers or longer studs.

Ride height is factory on 1LE (SS) springs.

The wheels and tires DO NOT RUB and the fronts turn 100% right and 100% left with no issues!

I threw this car into a sharp power turn at 90mph and the tires did not even squeel; it was begging for more!

I've been modding for several years now and this is one of the very best. I find it hard to believe this is not a popular mod!
Old 01-15-2008, 09:19 AM
Launching!

Yeah but I bet it follows the road like a police dog chasing a crackhead

Eitherway it still looks badass
Old 01-15-2008, 10:48 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Biggin'89
Yeah but I bet it follows the road like a police dog chasing a crackhead

Eitherway it still looks badass
This is probably true. Say, Robert, how does she handle on the freeway? I assume those grooves are damn near killer to drive with. We have a freeway here with grooves so deep a friend of mine can literally let go of his steering wheel (Chevy Lumina) and the car will steer itself. I can't imagine having 315's up front trying to navigate through those with.

More pictures if you can please!
Old 01-15-2008, 11:35 AM
Staging Lane

yea that must track all over the road... even with my 275s in the front ive actually been pulled over and asked if i was drunk

Question on the wheels...
I see on your ZR1s that just the center bore is recessed and on Reidonlys car, on the rear ZR1s the spokes are recessed behind a bigger lip, is this due to an offset difference between yours and his?

Pic of what im talking about (linked since its a large pic)
http://www.reidonly.net/Z28/misc/P1080002.JPG
Old 01-15-2008, 12:03 PM
TECH Veteran

Someone asked me this on the suspension and handling forum ---->

Well, we have a highway near my house that is tracked up bad from heavy truck traffic. My old 275 tires tracked poorly there and I had to constantly fight the car to keep it straight. I buzzed down it Sunday and the tracking in the new 315 tires was not as bad.

Needless-to-say, I was surprised.

I've been moding this car for several years, and I can say this was one of the best mods ever. It is hard for me to believe more folks don't opt for this option.

Turns at high speed now are effortless; it tracks like it was on rails! I'm not sure I would change too much more on the suspension since it seems to be working well. I was initially worried that the additional un-sprung weight from the bigger tires and wheels would be an issue with the HD Beilsteins.

The HDs seem to be be handling the extra few pounds OK, however.
Old 01-15-2008, 12:48 PM
TECH Veteran

RedMaro:
Yeh, the wheels in the photo you posted are different from mine. I'm using Factory Reproduction (17x11x35 front) and the 5 spokes are recessed within the rim more than your car photo.

I'm not sure the difference is anything other than cosmetic, however. If the wheel manufacturor from your car photo made a ZR1- 17x11 inch 36mm offset, I assume they would bolt up with 315s on the front too.

In addition, for this mod, I don't think it is necessary to have the wheels in 35mm offset for the fronts. One other option for the fronts would be to use a standard 17x11 - 50MM offset wheel for the front. This would require, however, the use of spacers and longer than factory wheel studs. Since I'm not rubbing at all, I assume you could use a spacer that would be in between 50mm and 36mm offset to get the wheels to tuck in more.

For those who already have 315s on the rear, going this route would allow you to buy only another 2 rims that match your non-ZR1 rear hubs in the commonly available 50mm offset size. This would eliminate the need to buy four new wheels.

The guys in the "Road Race" forum below were helpful in identifying my options in this regard. I posted a bunch of threads before I learned where to post. Most folks in other forums said "this can't be done!"
Old 01-15-2008, 05:08 PM
TECH Resident

i cant tell from the photos.. maybe a because of a lack of good lighting, but is it really obvious that the fronts stick out more than the rears and can completely turn the steering wheel?
Old 01-15-2008, 05:57 PM
TECH Regular

^ Yeah, I questioned this too. Could you post a few more pics of your car if you get some time? Thanks in advance!
Old 01-15-2008, 08:00 PM
TECH Veteran

Sure; more pictures comming up!

One limiting factor is the size of the files that can be loaded here. I have to reduce the image quality to get them to load.

Anyway, on level ground, the front tires do stick out a hair but this is only noticeable from certain angles. You can see this best from the last photo on the right above in the first thread.

Quick Reply: Photos - 315s tires on all four corners