Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crate Engine or Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2008, 10:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crate Engine or Rebuild

I have a 2000 Camaro SS with 89,000 miles on it. There have been a few mods done. The car was purchased new and suffered some of the factory issues. This included a mild piston slap at startup which would go away when it warmed up. The car had been driven hard the last 2 years and I was thinking about rebuilding the engine.

Any recommendations, rebuild what I have or buy a new crate engine?

Any feedback would be welcome.
Old 01-14-2008, 10:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

if the car runs now id get a core or crate moter, can take your time and no downtime on the car
Old 01-14-2008, 11:03 PM
TECH Addict

What makes you want to rebuild? There is probably tons of life left in that motor.
Old 01-15-2008, 07:57 AM
Banned

If you want a good reliable motor, I would go with a rebuild. Crate motors are put together on a production line and are subject to flaws. On a rebuild you can customize to your needs and later plans.
We have some core blocks in stock and can build a stout bottom end for a reasonable price. If you want to reuse the engine and parts you have we can do that as well.
One advantage to having another engine built is that depending on how far you go with your new motor, a long block or complete short block is more desirable to resell.
Old 01-15-2008, 09:10 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

We can get you into a forged short-block for less $$ than a new crate engine. This way you get to customize your engine to your wants and needs. Want more compression? No problem! Need less compression for a turbo build you're planning? No problem! Give me a call or PM me and we can discuss your plans and get you into an engine that works for you (that won't break the bank!)

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!
Old 01-15-2008, 09:41 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

texas speed has good products!!!!!!
john is the one to talk to .......set it up man!!!!!

i spent 5900.00 with them around april of last year......they are awesome......they are not rude on the phone and no matter how many times you call in a day they will always chuckle with ya on the phone as well as give advice!!!!!!
props to tsp!!!!!!!
Old 01-15-2008, 10:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

It may be just me, but I would go with a different motor and keep the original if you ever sell the car for the next owner. Of course other will disagree but this is from someone who sold a bunch of parts in the late sixties that now thoroughly regrets it and I save everything that came with my car from the factory.
Old 01-15-2008, 10:59 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wouldn't go with a GM replacement style crate engine. You can build yourself a forged motor for less money that will take more abuse. We have customers running our short-blocks with boost and nitrous every day with zero issues. I can think of several customers running our strokers that now have over 50,000 miles on them and continue to see track duty on a weekly basis! With a quality build and name brand components, it is possible to have a forged motor that makes great power and will take a good deal of abuse as a daily driver!

Feel free to give us a call or shoot me a PM with any questions or concerns you may have!

Thanks!
Jon Reynolds
Old 01-15-2008, 10:15 PM

Thanks for the replies guys. LS1Sliverado, the main reason that I want to rebuild / replace the engine is because of the high miles and because I might have a valve train issue that needs to be looked into. I just figured I would do a complete refresh on the car both mechanically and cosmetically .

I am still up in the air about what to do. I guess I will have to do some more research along with looking at pricing. I thought about a LS6 but figured the car originally came with the LS1 so I might just keep it at that. But I want to go with a comp cam and lifter set, a good set of heads, and headers.
Old 01-15-2008, 10:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've got a website on my work computer where an LS6 longblock goes for $3k. PM me if you want it.
Old 01-16-2008, 12:50 AM
Staging Lane

When you say a forged short block, is that a rebuild kit or an entire new short block? I'm looking into a future upgrade, but I'm going to do a head/cam/intake first and let the motor run!

Originally Posted by Matt@Texas-Speed
We can get you into a forged short-block for less $$ than a new crate engine. This way you get to customize your engine to your wants and needs. Want more compression? No problem! Need less compression for a turbo build you're planning? No problem! Give me a call or PM me and we can discuss your plans and get you into an engine that works for you (that won't break the bank!)
Old 01-16-2008, 04:30 AM
Launching!

crate engine more than likely rebuilds seem to never be as reliable..but..then again u can do a crazy rebuild..buy all new stuff and build urself a monster like i did!
Old 01-16-2008, 09:04 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by xirxious
When you say a forged short block, is that a rebuild kit or an entire new short block? I'm looking into a future upgrade, but I'm going to do a head/cam/intake first and let the motor run!
Brand new short-block

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
Old 01-16-2008, 10:46 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

get something forged!
Old 01-16-2008, 10:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

If you buy a new crate motor and change the heads and the cam and it mess up then you screwed because have already voided your warranty by modifing the crate motor. And you would be left with the bill. I would buy a new Short Block from TSP. You'll come out cheaper and have a warranty.
Old 01-16-2008, 12:44 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by WeberRacingEquipment
If you want a good reliable motor, I would go with a rebuild. Crate motors are put together on a production line and are subject to flaws. On a rebuild you can customize to your needs and later plans.
We have some core blocks in stock and can build a stout bottom end for a reasonable price. If you want to reuse the engine and parts you have we can do that as well.
One advantage to having another engine built is that depending on how far you go with your new motor, a long block or complete short block is more desirable to resell.
great advice!
Old 01-18-2008, 12:35 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks! Its definitely on my list for the upcoming year, but I just bought a house in Seattle and they're friggen expensive here. As long as I don't get sidetracked by finding a '69 F-body to restore....

What displacment are they available? Originally I really wanted a 6.0, but the cost/hp didn't work out back then... Do you need a core?

Originally Posted by Matt@Texas-Speed
Brand new short-block
Old 01-18-2008, 09:03 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Originally Posted by xirxious
What displacment are they available? Originally I really wanted a 6.0, but the cost/hp didn't work out back then... Do you need a core?
We have everything from 346ci up to 454ci available currently, and most of them in stock! Check out our website at www.texas-speed.com and go into the Assembled Engines section. There, you can chose your upgrades and hand select your components and it will update your pricing immediately! If you don't see what you're looking for on there, don't hesitate to call or PM me and I'll be glad to assist!!

Old 01-23-2008, 07:33 PM

I am located around the Hershey PA area. I can travel about 2 hours any direction. I probably will be purchasing a crate engine in the next 2 months and will need it installed and tuned. I have not decided on anything yet because I have been tied up with work and have not had the time to research much. But who does installs in or around this area? And if I can get a general idea of pricing on an install. Also I am looking to repaint my SS. Anyone know of any good places in or around the same area?