Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Ls7 Clutch Video

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 11:35 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Ls7 Clutch Video

Hey guys if your installing an ls7 clutch or anyone for that matter feel free to check out my video. If your only interested in seeing the video and have no interest in actually doing the clutch please help save bandwidth for people who could actually use the vid. I have 130 downloads available for the next 6 days until my bandwidth reset. Thanks!

www.ls1videohowto.com

Simply go to Install Videos and there you are...
Old 01-16-2008, 01:19 PM
12 Second Club

Haha...damn you guys hit like vultures. 100 downloads left...
Old 01-17-2008, 01:21 PM
12 Second Club

55 left...
Old 01-17-2008, 01:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

awesome vid man
and yes i am currently in the middle of my swap
just having a hard time breaking the trans free from the bellhousing, it looks like some jackass used gasket maker or something. i wish there was a pry point
thanks for taking the time to do the vid
Old 01-17-2008, 02:13 PM
TECH Resident

I believe there is a pry point hndakilr... should be a tiny slot on either side.

Anyways it was a great vid. I plan on swapping my clutch with new hydraulics when I get home. You spelled anti seize wrong though haha. If I knew you were looking for video how-to's I could have tried doin' a couple myself for ya. Anyways maybe some other time Keep up the good work
Old 01-17-2008, 02:59 PM
TECH Regular

Thanks for taking the time to make the vid. How did you remove the oil galley plug? Since there is the fear of knocking it into the oil pan, is there a safe way to pull it out? Thx!!!
Old 01-17-2008, 04:35 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by MrEddie
Thanks for taking the time to make the vid. How did you remove the oil galley plug? Since there is the fear of knocking it into the oil pan, is there a safe way to pull it out? Thx!!!
I have done it twice on two different cars and both times I used a punch or a chisel and placed it at the 12 o clock position on the galley plug and used a hammer to hit the punch or chisel. As soon as you get the plug to get even just a bit sideways or **** eyed, grab a pair of needle nose pliers and grab the bottom end of the galley plug that will now be sticking out a bit. Don't be to scared when tapping on it there is a good 1/4 inch or more of room before that plug will drop in to the pan. The only reason it really falls in there is being forced using the grease or toilet paper method.
Old 01-17-2008, 04:38 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by hndakilr
awesome vid man
and yes i am currently in the middle of my swap
just having a hard time breaking the trans free from the bellhousing, it looks like some jackass used gasket maker or something. i wish there was a pry point
thanks for taking the time to do the vid

Gasket maker shouldn't be that tough to break free and its stupid to use it right there since there is a vent at the bottom where it meets the bellhousing! LOL. Be absolutely sure that you have all the bolts taken out and double check and triple check that all of your sensors and solenoids are unplugged on the tranny. You really should not have to pry much if any.
Old 01-17-2008, 04:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by camaroguy26
I believe there is a pry point hndakilr... should be a tiny slot on either side.

Anyways it was a great vid. I plan on swapping my clutch with new hydraulics when I get home. You spelled anti seize wrong though haha. If I knew you were looking for video how-to's I could have tried doin' a couple myself for ya. Anyways maybe some other time Keep up the good work
hmm.. im pretty sure i looked for one but then again i was kinda drunk
ill look again. we are talking about the trans to bell housing separation point right? well at least it will be easier next time around
thanks guys
Old 01-17-2008, 07:11 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice video.
I consider myself a pro at this, but I did learn a new tip. Using the drive shaft inserted into the tranny to help index the tranny pilot shaft into the disk.
Old 01-17-2008, 11:19 PM
Staging Lane

Ok someone rehost this ****!
Old 01-18-2008, 12:42 AM
12 Second Club

If more people would donate hosting wouldn't be the issue. Out of 250 downloads I got one yes one $2.50 donation...that means 249/250 people did not donate. No shame it was only if you wanted to but that won't cut it sadly as this site will cost $250.00 per year to keep up. This is so easy to maintain if everyone were to donate only $2.50 which is next to nothing. And by the way not just anyone can host a 90mb file like this which is why I ask for donations. I'm 20 years old guys and the donations can keep the site up. I will more than likely toss some more money in the pit for next month and I will update the thread. Hope some of you guys found the video useful.

Josh

Pm me if you would like to help...
Old 01-18-2008, 03:04 AM
TECH Veteran

Josh,
Double donation sent.

I thought you did a good job on the video. Even though you were working on an LS1 car you might want to include some comments that might help us "****-on" LT1 guys also. It appeared to be the exact same process except we dont have to deal much with the hydraulics and TOB since it is attached to the pressure plate. You might actually find that people would be willing to pay that $2.50 for the video rather than giving it away on the board. I applaud your dedication.

I suggest for the future:
Ring pinion setup
Pulling the motor
head cam
Torque coverter (if you can borrow an automatic car)
LCA's
Tubular adjustable TA
Motor mounts
Roller rockers

The rest of you deadbeats please help this guy out.

Last edited by wrd1972; 01-18-2008 at 03:18 AM.
Old 01-18-2008, 09:40 AM
TECH Apprentice

donation coming
Old 01-18-2008, 09:40 AM
TECH Apprentice

got the trans off btw
just needed to get angry
Old 01-18-2008, 10:11 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by hndakilr
got the trans off btw
just needed to get angry
So if this is the case be prepared to get @#$%ing pissed to get it seated back in.

To me the most frustating part is getting the tranny to mate with the bell housing. Sometimes is glides right in and other times I have to "carefully" force it in with the mounting bolts. This is either due to the disk alignment being just a tad off or the grease in the pilot bearing creating a hydraulic pressure condition that wants to resist the pilot shaft from sliding in.
Old 01-18-2008, 10:13 AM
TECH Regular

I'm not set up on paypal....how about a money order? Send me a pm and I'll send some $$....
Old 01-18-2008, 10:58 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by wrd1972
Josh,
Double donation sent.

I thought you did a good job on the video. Even though you were working on an LS1 car you might want to include some comments that might help us "****-on" LT1 guys also. It appeared to be the exact same process except we dont have to deal much with the hydraulics and TOB since it is attached to the pressure plate. You might actually find that people would be willing to pay that $2.50 for the video rather than giving it away on the board. I applaud your dedication.

I suggest for the future:
Ring pinion setup
Pulling the motor
head cam
Torque coverter (if you can borrow an automatic car)
LCA's
Tubular adjustable TA
Motor mounts
Roller rockers

The rest of you deadbeats please help this guy out.
William I certainly do appreciate it sir. At this point guys I have received 3 donations for $7.50 with 2 being from one person. That alone means alot to me fellas. I can now go ahead and get one more month of hosting for the files!

Basically on a breakdown with my plans right now here is the rundown on the site cost per month and per year:
KEEP IN MIND GUYS THAT I DO NOT WANT TO MAKE MONEY ON THE SITE BUT SIMPLY KEEP IT SELF SUPPORTED!

File Hosting ($5 per month, $50 per year)
Next plan up($10 per month, $100 per year but it gives me 10gb storage and 50gb of bandwith)
Next plan up($20 per month, $200 per year and yet again doubles data availability)

5gb of storage (not the problem)
25gb of bandwith (the problem)

That means with a file that is like the clutch video and that is almost 100mb I can only hand it out roughly 250 times in a month on this plan
which is why I am out of bandwith for this month. The funny thing is guys the thing was only available for 2 days and it outgrew my 30 day plan!

Web Hosting ($9 per month) GoDaddy
No problems here guys I have plenty of room left and the site can grow to 10 pages which all I see that it would need for a long time.

So essentially:

$14 Per Month ($168 per year out of my pocket w/o donations) Keeps the site up and running but obviously we will continue to run out of bandwidth especially when we get more videos up and going.
6 Donations per month guys and the site stays up like this!

$19 Per Month ($228 per year out of my pocket w/o donations) Keeps the site up and running with double the bandwidth. This would be better but obviously it would still run out but like I said its more uptime for you guys.
8 Donations per month guys and the site stays up like this!

$29 Per Month ($348 per year out of my pocket w/o donations) Keeps the site up and running about full time. This is the most uptime I can get with the company before migrating to another business for file hosting.
12 Donations per month guys and the site stays up like this!

If you take a step back it's so easy to keep this thing going between the 1000's of us but I don't have a lot of motivation to spend my hard earned money just for the site if you know what I'm saying. We have 3 donations this month so 3 more and what do ya know the site stays up with limited bandwidth for another month. Keep in mind I chose to do this monthly so it would work out to if I didn't get enough donations, the site would simply go down for that period of time. The site could be a very resourceful free site with great information guys it's just up to whether we want it or not.

Thanks for all donations an thank you for the support with the site.
Also thank you to Tony (Nineball) for working with me to allow us to share information through the site.
Old 01-18-2008, 11:04 AM
12 Second Club

Just bought another month of file hosting on the current plan guys! GoDaddy monthly will expire tomorrow so with another 2 donations we can set that up for next month to!
Old 01-18-2008, 04:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks alot for the great video. I will be doing the ls7 setup in the next month or two so this was very helpfull.