Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

pushrod length checker.....

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 11:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default pushrod length checker.....

What is the preferred pushrod length checker tool that most people use for the ls1?

And where can one be purchased?
Old 01-18-2008, 11:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

with stock heads, 7.400" is what most use.
Old 01-18-2008, 11:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by vader99
What is the preferred pushrod length checker tool that most people use for the ls1?

And where can one be purchased?
I bought mine through Jegs.
Old 01-18-2008, 11:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

thanks
Old 01-19-2008, 12:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BES Stroked Nova
with stock heads, 7.400" is what most use.
Did you read the question or just see pushrod in the title and offer your .02 on a completely different subject?
Old 01-19-2008, 07:49 AM
TECH Resident

The Comp push rod length checker is what you want. It is 6.8 inches in length and extends to 7.8..... each turn is .050. It can be bought from any of our sponsors. I bought mine from Speed Inc.

http://www.ls1speed.com/catagory.cfm...in%20/%20Heads

Its at the bottom of the page.

R/

Frat
Old 03-02-2008, 06:45 PM
Teching In

How exactly do I use the length checker on a hydraulic setup? Im using oem lifters and non-adjustable rockers. Do I just put everything in place and unscrew the length checker until it is hard to turn?
Old 03-02-2008, 07:37 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How exactly do I use the length checker on a hydraulic setup? Im using oem lifters and non-adjustable rockers. Do I just put everything in place and unscrew the length checker until it is hard to turn?

This is someting I would like to know also.
Old 03-02-2008, 09:21 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Fratsit
The Comp push rod length checker is what you want. It is 6.8 inches in length and extends to 7.8..... each turn is .050. It can be bought from any of our sponsors. I bought mine from Speed Inc.

http://www.ls1speed.com/catagory.cfm...in%20/%20Heads

Its at the bottom of the page.

R/

Frat
Be sure the comp cams"hi tech" checker. It'a s bit easier to use. I originally bought the Jegs brand version. I had no idea what the length was fully closed, fully open or what what the change in length was with each turn.
Old 03-02-2008, 09:29 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

IIRC...

0. Put the #1 piston at TDC.
1. Remove the rocker arm
2. Remove the pushrod
3. Shorten the checker as much as possible. Wrap a rubber band around the top end of the bottom section a few times. Hold onto the loose end of the rubber band and drop in the checker. This will prevent the bottom end of the checker from rotating with the top end. Wrap loose end around, say, an adjoining piece of the valvetrain to keep it out of the way.
4. Re-install the rocker arm and tighten to 22ft-lbs
5. Unscrew the top of the checker until the rocker arm tip will no longer slide back and forth horizontally over the valve tip.
6. Remove the rocker arm and measure with calipers, or measure how many turns were extended. 9 turns = 9x.050=.45+6.8 base=7.250, for example.
7. Add in your desired lifter pre-load to determine your ideal pushrod length.
Old 03-02-2008, 09:45 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by DMHWS6
here's how i was told to do it:

install 2 stock pushrods on a cylinder and tighten the rockers.

Rotate the engine until the intake valve closes(rocker no longer moves). Rotate a bit more to be sure the lifter is on the base circle and neither rocker is moving.

Remove the rockers and stock pushrods.

Set the checker to about the same length as the stock ones then close 2 or 3 turns.

Install the checker and rocker and tighten the rocker.

open the checker while lightly moving the rocker up and down until you no longer hear the ticking noise of the valve tapping the valve stem, but no pressure on the lifter either. if you can't turn the checker while installed, you may have to pull the checker, adjust it, reinstall and check the lash. remember to do very small increments when you get close and there is little rocker movement

Carefully remove the rocker so not to move the adjustment of the tool.

Count the number of turns it takes to fully close the checker. There is a line on both halves of the checker to help get an accurate count.

Multiply the number of turns by .050(.050" per turn) and add that to 6.800(fully closed length of the checker)

Then add in your preload spec. There is a range, but I dont remember what it was. Max was .100 though. That should give you your gauge length.

My calcualtions:

.050" x 9.5 (turns) = .475"
.475" + 6.800" = 7.275
7.275" + .100" (preload) = 7.375"
Old 03-02-2008, 09:49 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by JimMueller
IIRC...

0. Put the #1 piston at TDC.
1. Remove the rocker arm
2. Remove the pushrod
3. Shorten the checker as much as possible. Wrap a rubber band around the top end of the bottom section a few times. Hold onto the loose end of the rubber band and drop in the checker. This will prevent the bottom end of the checker from rotating with the top end. Wrap loose end around, say, an adjoining piece of the valvetrain to keep it out of the way.
4. Re-install the rocker arm and tighten to 22ft-lbs
5. Unscrew the top of the checker until the rocker arm tip will no longer slide back and forth horizontally over the valve tip.
6. Remove the rocker arm and measure with calipers, or measure how many turns were extended. 9 turns = 9x.050=.45+6.8 base=7.250, for example.
7. Add in your desired lifter pre-load to determine your ideal pushrod length.
The bold above is a great idea. I used a mini-screwdriver to hold the bottom half. A rubber band would have been much easier.
Old 04-21-2011, 01:00 AM
TECH Resident

About to do this and have a few questions...

1. I'm using the Trickflow checker and can't seem to find how to tell the length. Would it be alright to use a micrometer to check? I figure this would be more accurate than any other method anyway.

2. I have LS7 lifters. How do I figure out preload? Or adjust it? Didn't know this was an option and I don't quite understand it. Valvetrain math is over my head, I'll be the first to admit. But I have to figure it out quickly.

3. Will all of the pushrod lengths be roughly the same? Or do I need to check all 16 valves at TDC?

Thanks!

Quick Reply: pushrod length checker.....