Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

90mm Weiand/Holley aluminum intake manifold?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 06:47 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 90mm Weiand/Holley aluminum intake manifold?

has anyone attempted to take an aluminum weiand/holley intake and modify the throttle body area to a 90mm. i have one and i think i am going to try it and wanted to see if anyone else has done it and if so what kind of gains they have recieved. pics would be nice if there is someone out there that has done this. thank you.
Old 01-25-2008, 06:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have one as well..I thought about it and mocked up a 90MM throttlebody..It would have taken alot of work. The snout is too small. You would have weld up a new mounting plate for sure.

I also ported the snot out of mine...The port exits are smaller that the stock heads ports. Looks like it was designed to be port matched...Also ported the radius turn in the runner it was way to small...

Unported..

ported to stock head ..

unported radius...

ported..
Old 01-25-2008, 07:16 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by summitproducts
has anyone attempted to take an aluminum weiand/holley intake and modify the throttle body area to a 90mm. i have one and i think i am going to try it and wanted to see if anyone else has done it and if so what kind of gains they have recieved. pics would be nice if there is someone out there that has done this. thank you.
correct me if i'm wrong but the throttle body flange on that intake is 3 bolt??? LS1 style

I haven't seen one of those intakes in years
Old 01-25-2008, 09:01 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Fraser@SpeedInc
correct me if i'm wrong but the throttle body flange on that intake is 3 bolt??? LS1 style

I haven't seen one of those intakes in years
yes you are correct. the intake is a 3 bolt design. i am oing to weld the flange a make it work for the five bolt along with making the opening match the 90mm throttle body.
Old 01-26-2008, 01:03 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by chriswtx
I have one as well..I thought about it and mocked up a 90MM throttlebody..It would have taken alot of work. The snout is too small. You would have weld up a new mounting plate for sure.

I also ported the snot out of mine...The port exits are smaller that the stock heads ports. Looks like it was designed to be port matched...Also ported the radius turn in the runner it was way to small...

Unported..

ported to stock head ..

unported radius...

ported..

thank you for replying with the photos. i will post some as soon as i am done with mine. it will probably be a couple more days. i am also polishing the intake to a mirror finish.
Old 01-26-2008, 01:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Cool..here's mine polished..
Old 01-26-2008, 01:27 PM
On The Tree

Cool..here's mine polished..
nice. did you buy yours polished?
Old 01-26-2008, 01:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

yes bought it polished..
Old 01-28-2008, 03:35 PM
On The Tree

i finished welding and polishing the intake today. i just need to drill and tap the holes for the front throttle body area and put a final buff on it and i'm done. pics by the end of the week.
Old 01-28-2008, 03:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

cool post some pics of how you welded it up please...
Old 01-28-2008, 05:23 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by summitproducts
I did close to what you are requesting. However, I only opened it up to 85mm & used an 85mm 3 bolt TB, I think bought from Summit. It was a while ago & can't remeber for sure, but, probably was Summit. Also, the runners were opened up to port & gasket match similar to what is shown above. Everything that I've read shows some level of improvement from increased inlet sizing on the Weiand & LS6 manifolds.

I've also got a filled, smoothed & ported 90mm LS2 intake & am conflicted between the two set ups. Currently, the Weiand is in place.
Old 01-28-2008, 05:36 PM
On The Tree

cool post some pics of how you welded it up please...
i will as soon as i am complete i will post the pics. i also welded the egr hole closed since i won't be useing that anymore. i wll have pics of that as well.
Old 01-28-2008, 05:43 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by LS1-450
I did close to what you are requesting. However, I only opened it up to 85mm & used an 85mm 3 bolt TB, I think bought from Summit. It was a while ago & can't remeber for sure, but, probably was Summit. Also, the runners were opened up to port & gasket match similar to what is shown above. Everything that I've read shows some level of improvement from increased inlet sizing on the Weiand & LS6 manifolds.

I've also got a filled, smoothed & ported 90mm LS2 intake & am conflicted between the two set ups. Currently, the Weiand is in place.

that was a delema for me i knew that i could go with a 85 and stick with a 3 bolt pattern and not have to do much work other than increasing the diameter from appox 75 to 85mm on the throttle body opening but i really wanted the 90 mm which does create alot more work but in the end it should help out alot. plus it looks cool.

does the ls2 intake flow better than a ls6 or the weiand? if it isn't a great improvement i would stick with the weiand.

Quick Reply: 90mm Weiand/Holley aluminum intake manifold?