Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Vanishing Oil Issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 06:56 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vanishing Oil Issue

My 2002 SS Vert now has a SDPC forged 402 6.0L LQ9 Iron Block with D1SC at 13.5 psi. CR 8.78:1 and is a very fast daily driver. M6. Set up is great and I love driving the car as much as I can. Al the right parts were bought and a grade A mechanic with knowledge put engine in. Car has been tuned at 675 RWHP/635 RWTQ. (Speed Inc. speed density)

Per the S-D suggestions, I followed the proper break in periods and techniques. Used the oil supplement provided and have had Shell Rotella-T 15W40 API specification CI-4 Plus in the car since the build. This oil was also suggested by S-D for at least the first 5000 miles. Changed the oil out after first break in period and then at 3000 miles. Car now has 4300 miles on it and has apparently burnt over a quart of oil in approx. 1300 miles. No leaks anywhere that I can find. Has an open breather set up and the catch can had only about 10 drops in it, the same as when oil was changed thefirst time.

I realize boosted applications will likely burn some oil due to the pressures and forces involved. The thought is I am likely losing it through the exhaust. No bellowing clouds of smoke and nothing really noticeable upon starting or throttling up the car.

My questions are, Is this rather normal? Any other ides? What amount of oil loss/burn should I expect and what oil would you guys suggest I switch to when I next change the oil? I have had it suggested that I use Mobil 1 - 15W50. I plan on changing the oil every 2500 from here on out as well. Just as a note, I have thrashed on the car a little harder since the first oil change than I did prior. Thanks for any input, all you purveyors of wisdom.
Old 01-23-2008, 09:05 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well my ride is turbo. I have the same issue, no smoke no leaks no nothing, But every 800-1k miles she is a quart low! I think its the nature of the beast andmy turbo eats it up also. I use quaker state Q 15/50 4*4 blend the best so far mobile one cakes to much. But you should have better results with the mobile one becasue you wont cook it at 700 degrees!
Old 01-23-2008, 09:43 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1 qt every 1000 miles is normal,hell the automakers consider that normal.
Old 01-24-2008, 10:44 AM
Staging Lane

Thank you gentlemen, my mindr ests a little easier now.
Old 01-24-2008, 10:56 AM
10 Second Club

your pcv is open breather? can you explain your setup a little more? i am having some misty vapors coming out of my breather during idle, and i dont know if its normal or not.
Old 01-24-2008, 12:37 PM
Staging Lane

My set up runs to a Moroso catch with top mounted filter, from the rear of the valve cover where bungs have been attached (welded). I think the hose is -10N or -12 N to the can. This set up relieves the positive crank case pressure these engines and set ups are known for and catches any blow by oil. However, both times I have checked so far, I have only had about 10-12 drops in the can. This reassures me that the seals andrings have seated well in my new engine. I have not seen any misty vapor, however I do get somewhat of a smell when running the car hard. The filter mounted on top shows no signs of dirtying at all. I am not a seasoned mechanic by any means, and there are numerous threads reference this type of open breather set up. Some even attach vacuum to the set up. Hope this helps.
Old 01-24-2008, 11:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by RooRnZ28
your pcv is open breather? can you explain your setup a little more? i am having some misty vapors coming out of my breather during idle, and i dont know if its normal or not.
I had a similar problem a while back. search for PCV or posts by "see5". He did an excellent write up on how to make a open breather with a catch can that fixed my problem of misting or "huffing" completely.
Old 01-25-2008, 06:14 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine had a lot more vapor coming out of the catch can breather and crankcase breather for the first 3500 miles, then dropped off dramatically.

At first I was getting like a quarter cup of oil in the catch can after 200 miles - after 3500 miles I started getting maybe a teaspoon every 500 miles.

Jim

Quick Reply: Vanishing Oil Issue