Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Need Help 5-6 Driven Gear Removal

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 10:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need Help 5-6 Driven Gear Removal

I have a transmission here that is kicking my rear. I cannot get the 5-6 driven gear off of the main shaft to save my life. I have the puller that is made for getting that gear off. I have tried heat with the puller. I do not know what else to do.

Does anyone have aby pointers or opinions?

-Ryan
Old 01-25-2008, 08:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have done many that I could pull off with my hand and then some I had to heat when using a puller. I have had one before that was leterally smoking it was so hot before it came off. Just be patient and dont give up-
Old 01-25-2008, 09:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BadAzz96Z28
I have done many that I could pull off with my hand and then some I had to heat when using a puller. I have had one before that was leterally smoking it was so hot before it came off. Just be patient and dont give up-
What is bad is I can not give up now, my puller has chipped some teeth on the gear.

I was thinking the same thing about the ones that just pull off. More often than not, they slide right up. Oh well, I will get it. I just have to get away from it for a bit then go back to it.
Old 01-25-2008, 10:27 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use the otc tool specifically made to remove that gear along with the necessary puller. If I have one thats a little stubborn I will just pull with the puller a bit using an air gun, then stop and whack the the end of the puller with a hammer (right where the socket goes). A few good licks and the puller will usually become loose. Repeat this procedure until the gear is removed. It works like a charm.
Old 01-25-2008, 11:43 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it is already significantly chipped can you sacriface the gear to get it off more easily and buy a takeout?

I think some of our sponsers sell T/Os?
Old 01-26-2008, 12:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jonathan@Tick
I use the otc tool specifically made to remove that gear along with the necessary puller. If I have one thats a little stubborn I will just pull with the puller a bit using an air gun, then stop and whack the the end of the puller with a hammer (right where the socket goes). A few good licks and the puller will usually become loose. Repeat this procedure until the gear is removed. It works like a charm.
Yeah, I have the puller for that gear with the gear with the otc tool. I am going to get back on it tomorrow.
Old 01-27-2008, 09:12 AM
Banned

I use a larger two jaw puller from Snap On and it flat out gets the job done . In the event that it did not , you would have to use heat on it until it popped loose . Its very common to do this on some of the larger transmissions in the bigger trucks like the F350's and Dodges .
Old 01-28-2008, 07:46 PM
Staging Lane

thanks guys i was having the same problem... tonight this tranny is the first one that i have pulled out and had like a cup of fluid in it u can tell it has been ran hot and 5&6 gear is just stuck .. i have always just pulled them off by hand..
Old 01-28-2008, 09:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I ended up having to cut this gear off, I rebuilt another t56 this afternoon, the 5-6 pulled right up no problem. This is the 2nd one we have had to cut off.

Thanks for the help though guys.

-Ryan
Old 04-15-2011, 01:16 PM
TECH Resident

I know this is an old post, but this is all I could find using the search.

How common is it that the 5-6 drivin gear gets siezed to the main shaft? I had this happen to me, and am wondering what caused it? Low fluid? Type of fluid? Driving habit? Thanks for any input!
Old 04-15-2011, 02:26 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Black 99 Bird
I know this is an old post, but this is all I could find using the search.

How common is it that the 5-6 drivin gear gets siezed to the main shaft? I had this happen to me, and am wondering what caused it? Low fluid? Type of fluid? Driving habit? Thanks for any input!
It's not seized, it's suppose to require a puller to remove. If it's loose, that's bad, a tight fit is good.
Old 04-17-2011, 01:51 PM
TECH Resident

The puller would not pull it off. Had to be cut off, like the one above.
Old 01-25-2012, 08:02 AM
TECH Resident

Sorry I am digging this old thread up, but I am having this problem right now myself. If I heat the gear up to get it off is it ruined or can I reuse it? Also if its that tight how do you get it back on? I have a press, do you put the whole trans in a press?
Old 01-25-2012, 10:08 AM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by 96lt4c4
Sorry I am digging this old thread up, but I am having this problem right now myself. If I heat the gear up to get it off is it ruined or can I reuse it? Also if its that tight how do you get it back on? I have a press, do you put the whole trans in a press?
re: 5/6 cluster: https://ls1tech.com/forums/13010740-post5.html (I extend it like you mentioned in your other thread for C5/C6 boxes)

Some all-thread threaded into the mainshaft end and nuts to push down on a pipe that fits over the mainshaft presses it back on.

Quick Reply: Need Help 5-6 Driven Gear Removal