Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ls1 went into puddle of water cai sucked up the water, what to do? help

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 01:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation ls1 went into puddle of water cai sucked up the water, what to do? help

went into a big puddle of water, i have the slp cai, so my car sucked up some water and turned off, any ideas on what to do?
Old 01-25-2008, 01:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by themack56
went into a big puddle of water, i have the slp cai, so my car sucked up some water and turned off, any ideas on what to do?
Friend,

It is basically over for your engine if a substantial amount of water made it into a cylinder ... Assuming you can get ALL the water out of your cylinders, you might try to start it... Water does NOT compress so cranking it with water in the cylinders is a no no.... sorry man.

Old 01-25-2008, 02:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if it sucked up a lot a water just pull the plugs out crank it over untill its alll out(slowly) then probly a good time to put new plugs in since u got them out anyways and u should be good to go
Old 01-25-2008, 02:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tripblackls1
if it sucked up a lot a water just pull the plugs out crank it over untill its alll out(slowly) then probly a good time to put new plugs in since u got them out anyways and u should be good to go

If nothing bent....... Good luck!!
Old 01-25-2008, 03:05 PM
TECH Addict

if it cranks up after you get the water out.. change your oil filter asap then let it idle for a good time.. iv sucked up water in 4 bangers before and i just restarted them and let it all burn off (they where under warrenty so even if it didnt compress ohwell)
Old 01-25-2008, 03:46 PM
On The Tree

i am a hydrolock survivor. i completely seized my ls1 with water and unlocked and it ran better than ever. this is what i did

1)pull off the throttle body and suck as much water as you can out of the intake
2)pull plugs out and pump water out with a hose and a pump
3)pour marvel mystery oil in each cylinder and crank with plugs out
4)crank until it stops spitting out holes
5)pour a little mystery oil in each cylinder and let sit overnight with spark plugs out
6)put plugs back in and try starting it
7)you will want to run it for about 5 minutes top to get oil and water to mix
8) after about 5 oil changes in one day, oil should be as good as new
Old 01-25-2008, 04:34 PM
12 Second Club

Please say you didn't try to restart it after it sucked up the water and stopped...
Old 01-25-2008, 04:41 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by greinder03
i am a hydrolock survivor. i completely seized my ls1 with water and unlocked and it ran better than ever. this is what i did

1)pull off the throttle body and suck as much water as you can out of the intake
5)pour a little mystery oil in each cylinder and let sit overnight with spark plugs out
ya marvel i have heard is awsome for locked motors, its about $5-6 a bottle.. and goto wally world for the $7 gal oil specials (use it in all the DD's aint bad ****)

BTW instead of seafoam people actually used (still use) water shot into the brake booster it burns off all the carbon in the motor
Old 01-25-2008, 06:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Exclamation

put that oil stuff in the spark plug hole in each one?
do i need to take off my intake manifold?
should i try to turn it on after i take as much water out of the intake manifold? without taking the plugs out (just to see if it turns on)?

Originally Posted by greinder03

Old 01-25-2008, 07:33 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 79 Likes on 64 Posts

I too have done this...

If you had hydrolocked your motor, it would have sounded like a grenade when you tried to start it again..

Is your air filter soaked? pull off the air lid, check your maf, inside your TB... can you see where water entered in?

Mine ended up being some wiring that got soaked and shorted out.. I was lucky!!

Do like some of these guys said... drain your oil and see if there is noticable water residue.. "milky" etc...

Pull a plug or two...( drivers side) it's easier..

If in fact you did hydrolock it,,, get with your insurance company, often times they will take care of it.

Let us know.. Good luck!
Old 01-25-2008, 07:55 PM
12 Second Club

DO NOT crank it just to see if it'll go, cause if it doesn't, your screwed. Take the extra 20-30 minutes and pull the plugs!
Old 01-25-2008, 08:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

should i use seafoam inside the oil, when i change it to clean out the water?
Old 01-25-2008, 08:45 PM
Launching!

not too get off topic, but this is exactly why im leery about getting a cai setup..the companies SWEAR this never happens...as for the 'locked motor, marvel does wonders, ive never used it on an ls1 but i have used it on a 4 cyl before, luckily it was salvageable. did you try and restart it after you sucked up the water? cuz if you did that motor is
Old 01-25-2008, 08:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

is this a fact if i tried to turn on the car that the engine is dead, or is there a chance thats its dead?
tomorrow im gonna try and and take off the spark plugs
Old 01-25-2008, 09:00 PM
Launching!

if you did and you heard a really loud kinda-sounds-like-a-gunshot-but-not-really sound...then yes..count it as fact if you didnt, hear it, that doesnt mean your outa the woods, although it improves your odds a bit. its always worth a shot to try and save it. sorta like pascals wager my friend..the only risk youd take is by not trying..if it doesnt work your out what, 35-40 dollars..if it would have and you didnt try..its much more of an expensive mistake
Old 01-25-2008, 09:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

i tried to turn it on, and it didnt make a noies like everyone is describing, it did make like a noise like its stuck, im guessing the cylinders cant move cause of the water, but a noise like u say no, this happend to my friends lt1 and he tried to turn it on and it made the same noise, what he did is take the spark plugs out and his oil pan to take the water out, then he started it and it worked fine, im hoping my car will be fine,
Old 01-25-2008, 09:09 PM
Launching!

PULL THE PLUGS BEFORE YOU CRANK IT, if you take nothing else out of this thread remember that...water DOES NOT compress, period. thats what will dynamite that engine. no spark plugs+marvel mystery oil+crank it till you get the water out=hopefully itll save it. plugs in+drop the pan+try and get it out that way=bang smash 2k mistake

*edit* sorry, didnt read your post as throughly as i thought, missed where you said youd pull the plugs...i revoke my previous dick head statement lol
Old 01-25-2008, 09:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

ok , im gonna take the spark plugs out tomorrow,
1 take spark plugs out
2 were do i put the mystery oil, inside the spark holes, and do i put the mystery oil after or before i take the water out of the spark holes, do i try and crank it to take water out?
plz explain this step thnx
Old 01-25-2008, 09:30 PM
Launching!

as quoted from a website on salvageing 'hydrolocked motors' like i said, never dealt with a drowned ls1, but i have dealt with waterlogged 4cyls.

Next, get the water out of engine. To do this:

1. Remove the spark plugs (or injectors in a diesel). Use a turkey baster to suction water from the cylinders (if possible).
2. Remove the drain plug from the bottom of the oil pan and drain the contents in a container for proper disposal. (Remember, you are responsible for oil spills). In some situations the drain plug is not accessible (not a problem in this situation)and the oil-water mixture must be pumped out as in an oil change (change the oil anyway...duh). A siphon hose can be a big help in getting water out of cylinders, depending on how much is in there.

sears sells a drill powered syphon kit, as does home depot. use it, run water through it, and return it.
Old 01-25-2008, 09:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^^^ Thats funny. Not to be a dick but he asked for advice and everybody tells him not to crank it until he gets all the water out and what does he try to do? Crank the damn thing without pulling the plugs!

Ok anyways lol good luck man that must really suck, but how deep was this water anyways to make it all the way up into the intake?

Quick Reply: ls1 went into puddle of water cai sucked up the water, what to do? help