Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

limits of the aluminum block???

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2003, 08:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default limits of the aluminum block???

Assuming all the internals were up to the task, what is the limit of the stock bored aluminum block? I have heard of a few people busting the walls out but is that from detonations pressure spike or from extreme horsepower? I know a few people (I think Big Mike is one) are running up around a 200 shot on them, can they handle alot more if tuned properly???

Jeffrey
Old 07-10-2003, 09:21 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: limits of the aluminum block???

You mean the limits in thousandths of an inch of wall separation or in displacement? Seems like someone was building 454s but I thought I heard of one bigger also. Of course that is from both bore and stroke increases.
Old 07-10-2003, 09:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think he's talking about how strong they are in terms of what kind of abuse you can give them. For example How High Of Compression can you use? How much boost can you run? How much can you spray? How much boost can be run while spraying into the motor to cool down the intake/motor.

Old 07-12-2003, 12:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sorry I wasn't more clear. I mean in terms of horsepower. At what point are people splitting the cylinder walls just because of cylinder pressure due to high horsepower? Or has anyone even done that yet?

Jeffrey
Old 07-12-2003, 12:28 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ive never heard of someone splitting a block or punching a hole from horsepower. Only from thrown rod, broken piston or a popped head gasket that cracks a wall when coolant gets in the cylinder...

Guys are running mid 9's /w 700-850 horsepower around here...but i dont know at what point you have to go 6.0L iron block or C5R block
Old 07-12-2003, 06:09 PM
TECH Resident

ARE car runs mid 8's on a stock darton sleeved block. so however much hp it takes to push a 3k lb? car to 161mph in the 1/4 is how much itll take so far.
Old 07-12-2003, 06:40 PM
Launching!

ARE's motor went south at the shootout in Bowling Green so I'm not sure what kind of setup they are running now, if its running period. These blocks seem to take a lot of horsepower and abuse but the question is how long will it hold up. I think anything over 450rwhp is pushing it with the factory rotating assembly. The rod bolts seem to be the weak point in the LS1 shortblock. Depending on the future plans for the car, I would consider ARP's rod bolts then just keep your fingers crossed.
Old 07-12-2003, 07:40 PM
7 Second Club

ARE's motor went south at the shootout in Bowling Green so I'm not sure what kind of setup they are running now, if its running period. These blocks seem to take a lot of horsepower and abuse but the question is how long will it hold up. I think anything over 450rwhp is pushing it with the factory rotating assembly. The rod bolts seem to be the weak point in the LS1 shortblock. Depending on the future plans for the car, I would consider ARP's rod bolts then just keep your fingers crossed.
ARE engine did'nt go south at BG.The tranny in the car took a dump.You should check you facts before making such statements.Yes the car is running on the same engine it had at BG,to the tune of 8.7s@159mph.
Old 07-12-2003, 10:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Since BG that same motor has been to the track at least four times and run new bests. Do a search and you'll find those times. This is the very same short block that has been in the car for two years and only been freshened once.

As ARE422DP said they busted a tranny the motor was fine and ran the following week untouched internally. No limits found yet

Paul
Old 07-12-2003, 10:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Are the sleeves Darton uses made of the exact same material as the factory sleeves? If so I guess I asked a dumb question, I didn't realize that.

Jeffrey
Old 08-10-2003, 10:36 PM
Launching!

Nope, they are a proprietary alloy.
Old 08-10-2003, 11:04 PM
TECH Addict

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

You'll run into the problem of lifting heads long before you exceed the power potential of the LS1 block.

That's why I'm not too big a fan of the Iron Blocks. You'll start lifting the heads (about 700-800 HP) long before you even exceed the aluminum block strength.

Yea, there are some methods out there to keep the heads nicely sealed down, but they require a significant re-work of the block.

Just my .02
Old 08-11-2003, 07:25 AM
7 Second Club

You'll run into the problem of lifting heads long before you exceed the power potential of the LS1 block.

That's why I'm not too big a fan of the Iron Blocks. You'll start lifting the heads (about 700-800 HP) long before you even exceed the aluminum block strength.

Yea, there are some methods out there to keep the heads nicely sealed down, but they require a significant re-work of the block.

Just my .02
My thoughts exactly.The guys at ARE educated me on this one.Head lift is the limiting factor not block strenght.
Old 08-11-2003, 09:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

ARE is running a ton of power through the motor (Well over 850RWHP)

Best mph at 3200 pounds is 164 I believe

Quick Reply: limits of the aluminum block???