Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

xx tuning in CT

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 10:44 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default xx tuning in CT

anyone ever been there? was looking into getting tuned over there w/ my buddy (he has an STi which is what they specialize in). thanks for any info.

corey
Old 02-05-2008, 10:55 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is a guy ChrisSVT, known on local stang websites, a few yrs ago he was involved with them and I and many others had issues with him. They seem to be big in imports. They have a AWD dyno.

So did Victor down the road in E. hartford, but Bristol Dyno who runs the dyno side is selling the dyno's so I am not sure if there isnt any AWD places in CT.

Personally I am going to ESP in wallingford, not "currently" a sponsor but a LONG time sponsor of LS1tech.com and has ran some SERIOUS LSX based cars and currently holds the record for the Fastest LSX based N20 Car so I would think they know their stuff.

There is also Dez Racing which if I see your from NH would be on the way since they are in Mass. Another good shop with plenty of people who will speaking highly for them.

So in the end, you have options
Old 02-05-2008, 10:58 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Omec
anyone ever been there? was looking into getting tuned over there w/ my buddy (he has an STi which is what they specialize in). thanks for any info.

corey
XX Tuning fine-tuned my Cobra, they have that Dynopac four wheel drive dyno for Subies but they do domestics as well. Ask for Chris.. Chris@XXTuning.com
Old 02-05-2008, 12:36 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by BlackScreaminMachine
There is a guy ChrisSVT, known on local stang websites, a few yrs ago he was involved with them and I and many others had issues with him. They seem to be big in imports. They have a AWD dyno.

So did Victor down the road in E. hartford, but Bristol Dyno who runs the dyno side is selling the dyno's so I am not sure if there isnt any AWD places in CT.

Personally I am going to ESP in wallingford, not "currently" a sponsor but a LONG time sponsor of LS1tech.com and has ran some SERIOUS LSX based cars and currently holds the record for the Fastest LSX based N20 Car so I would think they know their stuff.

There is also Dez Racing which if I see your from NH would be on the way since they are in Mass. Another good shop with plenty of people who will speaking highly for them.

So in the end, you have options

thanks for the info. my buddy with the STi had mentioned xx tuning did stuff w/ hp tuners so i was just thinking the two of us could make a day of it and have a nice cruise. no biggie i wasnt realy that hot to go there. but realy my plans were after i get everything back together in the next few months buy a tuning software (leaning towards EFI live) and have a rep shop tune it and kinda gimmie the rundown of the program. seems like most shops in the area are using HP tuners so im not realy sure what to buy now. Know anyone that would be willing to take some extra time on the dyno to show me the software i buy?
Old 02-05-2008, 01:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go to Don at Dez racing in Mass they are a sponsor, PM Slowhawk. its closer to your location too and you will not be dissapointed.....the tune that was done on my car is awsome, drives like stock, no issues what so ever, and prices are good too. awsome results with second to none coustomer service, id deffiantly would not go to XX.
Old 02-05-2008, 02:07 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Alot of my customers come from XX tuning. They are real good with the 4cyl stuff like STI's ect but have little experience with LS1's. I'm sure they will want more LS1 vehicles to practise on though.
Old 02-05-2008, 02:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

I went to XX and needless to say I need to set up a time with slowhawk when I can afford to pay for a second tune. Like said before they seem to be real good with 4 bangers esp subies though.
Old 02-05-2008, 02:35 PM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Slowhawk
Alot of my customers come from XX tuning. They are real good with the 4cyl stuff like STI's ect but have little experience with LS1's. I'm sure they will want more LS1 vehicles to practise on though.

I wouldnt feel comfortible having anyone learning on my car, def should take it to experts, most places WILL NOT cover catastrophic failure and maybe there is a few that will make amends but most tell you to pound sand. So taking in recommendations from everyone else should give you a good idea why you should go to them in the 1st place.

I live local to the shop and as far as I know Chris and Al are still there and i'd never take my car down there, due to past history
Old 02-05-2008, 03:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

thanks guys for your input! i figured that XX was just realy good at doing the imports. thats why i asked. ive heard alot about slowhawk and his tunes. ill prob take a trip over there soon. lol if this winter ever ends that is.

Slowhawk - im going to send you a PM later w/ some questions if you dont mind.

thanks again,
corey
Old 02-05-2008, 03:12 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Here is the good and bad. A safe bet is to use a sponsor here.As you see alot of the sponsors have been here for a long time.In that time they have learned alot about these cars and know a problem when they see it.

There are alot of non-sponsor shops that keep opening and sell you the world.You as a customer have to find out the hard way.Alot of places sell themselves as tuners ,sadly though that is where alot of us sponsor's get the work from because they did not do it right.So the customer pays twice for the same work.
Old 02-05-2008, 03:31 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

For an STI or the like, I'd go to XX< but for an lsx car, I don't think so. I know Chris that works there, and with import stuff I think he's up to speed, but with lsx stuff... no. Avoid j&m too, there another one that claims to know how to tune lsx stuff, but I know first hand they have no clue, I made the mistake of going there myself the first time and needless to say, I regret it to the point I send people anywhere BUT there.

Don can take care of whatever you need, and it would certainly be a shorter drive. Being close to your tuner is nice, because as you change things, they're close enough so you can get there with semi short notice and as they get to know you and the car, it's alot easier for the results to be to your liking.

Getting the software yourself isn't a bad idea either, but I'd still pay someone to teach ya what's what and how it works, be $ well spent.
Old 02-05-2008, 04:26 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Omec
Slowhawk - im going to send you a PM later w/ some questions if you dont mind.

thanks again,
corey
You'd be better served by Slowhawk/DEZ for an LSx-based motor.
Old 02-05-2008, 05:23 PM

I've been to the shop. It's a really nice place. Showroom like a dealership. They do a good job with the imports. I have seen some of the lsX work they have done. all I can say.

Go to Slowhawk. He is argualby the best tunner in the northeast. You will not be dissapointed.
Old 02-05-2008, 05:59 PM
Teching In

I took the EFI class with ChrisSVT about 2 years ago.. so thats when he started using viable software and began his dyno tuning. You choose... but Don at Dez has done me very well, and ESP has made alot of people happy. I haven't visited ESP since Nogo left, so i'm not sure whos doing it now.
Old 02-05-2008, 06:31 PM
TECH Regular

Well i will be making the trip to XX tuning with a slowhawk tuned TBSS on a 200 shot lol.. they need a SUV on their to 10 dyno list...
Old 02-06-2008, 07:49 PM
Launching!

I drive by there place once and a while - it's loaded with ugly ricers. Go to a sponsor's shop.
Old 02-06-2008, 09:58 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 99Andrew
I drive by there place once and a while - it's loaded with ugly ricers. Go to a sponsor's shop.

Some of those Subies would CRUSH you.. 500+ HP.

Don't be so mindless when it comes to performance.

Old 02-06-2008, 10:03 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Being that I owned a wrx for a while, I can tell you that I would seriously not want to push one of those cars to that level. I seriously question the ability of one of those to stay togeher at that level of power, not only the engine (I know build it up etc. etc. but the longevity is gonna be bad) but the driveline, tranny especially, is not gonna deal well with that for long, and the car itself is just not a very rigid feeling car. Mine had all kinds of creaks, rattles, and general signs of chassis flexing after about 20K, and I never raced it or anything like that, just drove it daily, maybe a little harder then some would, but that's to be seen.

Can you get 500 hp from a subie, sure, would you want the maintenance and the constant upkeep that it would take, as well as the vast array of **** that would be breaking on a regular basis, probably not.
Old 02-06-2008, 10:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

someone i knew had a 03 wrx done by them 11k worth to be exact and just under 300 whp was the result. wrx's are very nice i personally like the 03 style better but to each is own.
Old 02-07-2008, 01:04 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
Can you get 500 hp from a subie, sure, would you want the maintenance and the constant upkeep that it would take, as well as the vast array of **** that would be breaking on a regular basis, probably not.
If you want any car to make twice as much power as stock without constant problems you have to completely rethink the whole car, not just the engine. And spend a ton of cash doing it. Just look at 600 hp f-bodies.