Parts Manager of an Auto Dealership. Payscale? Ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 12:03 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Parts Manager of an Auto Dealership. Payscale? Ideas?

I have the oppertunity to take the position of Parts Manager for an upcoming Ford dealership. Im supposed to get with the General Manager and discuss money. Anyone have any ideas on approx what this position makes? I dont want to overshoot and look like an ***, but the last person I want to rip off is myself.
Old 02-05-2008, 04:01 PM
12 Second Club

Bump for the evening crew!
Thanks for any help!!
Old 02-05-2008, 05:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

My buddy is a parts manager at an Acura dealer. He gets a base pay plus 5% of his departments net sales..Works out to about 70K a year...His assistant manager gets a base pay plus 2% of his departments net sales.. Around 50K a year..It really depends on the size of the dealership. anywhere from 45K-90K a year..
Old 02-05-2008, 05:11 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

damn how to get qualified for that easy job lol

im almost done with my master auto mechanics degree.. so i know im qualified pretty much besides the customer service aspect but iv done other jobs with that
Old 02-05-2008, 07:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

well the parts manager that i work under was there for 6 years, he started at the postion that i am at (which is stocking) and now is making stupid money all while reading a book in his office lol you really get awsome perks being a parts manager to a dealership
Old 02-05-2008, 07:40 PM
On The Tree

chriswtx, what Acura dealer?
Old 02-05-2008, 07:40 PM
Teching In

The position usually pays based on the following, location and type of dealership, your experience, some reference of your ability to manage, how many employees you have to manage, how much gross profit or gross sales per month or potential profit. Smaller sales/profit dealers (IE 1 other parts counter help and usually 1 warehouse/driver help) should start at 3,500 to 4,500k per month, multiple lines and/or more employees pay goes up!! I'm manage a parts dept now. So ask any other questions if you like.
Old 02-05-2008, 07:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TXB4Z
chriswtx, what Acura dealer?
Its a dealer in Augusta, GA..
Old 02-05-2008, 08:06 PM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by MavrikTA
Bump for the evening crew!
Thanks for any help!!
What part of Texas will you be managing the Dealer? Pay will depend on location and market.
Old 02-05-2008, 10:57 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Parts Manager is not an easy position to do correctly. Unfortunately, most Parts Managers suck ***. I am a Parts and Service rep for a major automotive manufacturer and I consult with parts and service managers. Do you have any experience? Do you know what is required in the job? Be sure you know what you're getting into.
Old 02-05-2008, 11:08 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Higgs Boson
Parts Manager is not an easy position to do correctly. Unfortunately, most Parts Managers suck ***. I am a Parts and Service rep for a major automotive manufacturer and I consult with parts and service managers. Do you have any experience? Do you know what is required in the job? Be sure you know what you're getting into.
Werd! I have seen my fair share of "parts managers" and Parts Managers. There is a big difference.
Old 02-06-2008, 02:10 AM
On The Tree

As others have said, it depends. I use to work in Toyota parts during college and my cousin was the parts manager. We were one of the top selling Toyota parts dealers in the country. He makes pretty ridiculous money doing it, but he's been doing it for several years and the dealership sells well over a million dollars a month in parts.
Old 02-06-2008, 08:06 AM
12 Second Club

The dealership is on the outskirts of Waco.
I have worked in sales of auto parts for 3yrs, turned wrenches for 6, and been the warranty manager and service manage's right hand man for 2 large companies for 3yrs. Ive also been in sales and logistics. Anything from A/P to expense reports to scheduling and Safety meetings. Been there done that. I think Ill be fine, but who knows!? Im guessing 42-45K would be a fair starting area and it seems that some of yall are thinking in the same area. Its the 'perks' that make the job worth it. The %bonus based on sales was one area in particular I was interested in. Havnt dealt with that yet. Im assuming 5% is status quo?
Thanks for all the responses!
Old 02-06-2008, 08:35 AM
TECH Apprentice

work for a hyundai delership making 35k, but your right the peks are the fun part.
Old 02-08-2008, 05:54 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MavrikTA
The dealership is on the outskirts of Waco.
I have worked in sales of auto parts for 3yrs, turned wrenches for 6, and been the warranty manager and service manage's right hand man for 2 large companies for 3yrs. Ive also been in sales and logistics. Anything from A/P to expense reports to scheduling and Safety meetings. Been there done that. I think Ill be fine, but who knows!? Im guessing 42-45K would be a fair starting area and it seems that some of yall are thinking in the same area. Its the 'perks' that make the job worth it. The %bonus based on sales was one area in particular I was interested in. Havnt dealt with that yet. Im assuming 5% is status quo?
Thanks for all the responses!
Prepare to become an Money Manager. That's all a good parts manager is. Parts are money. A dealer has his cars on loan. He pays cash for his parts. Learn what good phase in/phase out criteria is, track lost sales to capture True Demand, trust your stock orders, use your Sources properly, get to training classes asap, etc. There is more to it than expense reports and logistics. Also, learn how to read a financial statement. I don't mean being able to read it, though. I mean knowing what's between the lines, too.

Good luck.

Quick Reply: Parts Manager of an Auto Dealership. Payscale? Ideas?