Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can I add headers without making the car (much) louder?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2008, 03:29 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can I add headers without making the car (much) louder?

I have a '99 Z28 with a stock exhaust except for a Magnaflow catback. I like to hear my stereo nice and clear inside the car, for that reason I wouldn't like a louder exhaust system. The sound level of the Magnaflow suits me just fine.

Is there any header/ catted Y-pipe set-up that isn't gonna increase the sound level of the car? ...or at least not gonna increase it much?

If you suggest any set-up please mention what kind of hp gain I could hope to get from it. Also, I heard headers make changing plugs easier, is that right?
Old 02-09-2008, 06:36 AM
Launching!

FWIW, I think my car is actually quieter at a cruise than with just the Borla alone.

Yes, changing the plugs is much easier when doing the headers.
Old 02-09-2008, 07:52 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, you can install headers and still keep your car quiet. I had slp longtubes with and ORy installed on my car with the stock catback. Is was retarted quiet but a little to high pitched for my liking. I installed the slp dual/dual muffler and it sounds perfect. No drone and its not annoying. It all comes down to the catback you are going to choose. And adding cats will def help keep the sound down to a min. The quietest mufflers are the slp dual/dual and the hooker. I would check one of those out or keep your stocker.
Old 02-09-2008, 08:41 AM
Alt
TECH Resident

So between the SLP, Hooker, and stock. I assume that the stock would be the quietest? Followed by the Dual/Dual and then Hooker?
Old 02-09-2008, 10:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by mindreaper
I have a '99 Z28 with a stock exhaust except for a Magnaflow catback. I like to hear my stereo nice and clear inside the car, for that reason I wouldn't like a louder exhaust system. The sound level of the Magnaflow suits me just fine.

Is there any header/ catted Y-pipe set-up that isn't gonna increase the sound level of the car? ...or at least not gonna increase it much?

If you suggest any set-up please mention what kind of hp gain I could hope to get from it. Also, I heard headers make changing plugs easier, is that right?
Adding headers makes it a lot louder at higher RPM - in a good way. I don't think the different brands will affect the sound much as long as they all have cats. Performance wise they are all in the same ballpark. Personally I went with the dynatech stainless header/cats. With headers/cats, magnaflow, bolt ons & tune I made ~349hp/364tq (blue plot).
http://www.putfile.com/pic/6993895

I didn't try to change plugs until I put on headers so not sure about making plug changes easier. Passenger rear plug is easiest from the bottom.
Old 02-09-2008, 10:32 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Headers will add more of a bass tone to your exhaust. In the end it's the mufflers themselves that will determine the volume of the exhaust. My car got a bit louder after longtubes and true duals but at cruise it's just fine. Personally I'm a fan of the change in tone rather than going for that bullet sound. At WOT the car sounds great, the headers really give the upper RPM a VERY mean sound and tone to it. Stockers don't come that close to the sound.
Old 02-09-2008, 04:15 PM
On The Tree

Check the sticky at the top of the threads for the ls1sound page. Has all sorts of set ups on there. Just do some listening and see what you like.
Old 02-10-2008, 11:16 AM
Staging Lane

all dependent upon exhaust choice. they will all be louder than stock. just some are outragous.
Old 02-10-2008, 11:33 AM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The magnaflow will wake up quite a bit with headers. I have the SLP dual/dual and I can't even tell a difference from before to after the headers with my catback. It is REALLY quiet inside the car. I am not sure how it sounds outside the car. I have a cutout for insanely loud when I want it. I have still not closed the cutout since I put the headers on if that tells you anything. I can hear my stock crappy monsoon radio just fine still.
Old 02-10-2008, 04:08 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

Your Magnaflow is on the quiet side already, so I wouldn't make a change there. I'd do a catted Y with Carsound cats. If that isn't quiet enough, I'd do a bullet or powerpack in the I-pipe. Lastly, going to smaller tips will quiet the Magnaflow a little more.
Old 02-11-2008, 11:54 AM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks for the suggestions, much appreciated! I'm gonna look into those Carsound cats.

Quick Reply: Can I add headers without making the car (much) louder?