Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Some CB opinions

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 06:45 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Need Some CB opinions

So currently im looking at two cat backs that are withing my price range, ive used www.ls1sounds.com but they dont give me as accurate of a sound as id like...im looking at:

Magnaflow
TSP Rumbler

What im looking for is something nice, slightly aggressive at idle, (not like the loud mouth) and nice at WOT...im only looking at these two or a CB within the same $400 price range. I dont want anything used, and i will also have LT headers and a catless ORY

does anyone have, or have had the TSP Rumbler? trying to get a grasp for how much louder at idle it is than the magnaflow
Old 02-10-2008, 06:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

since you already have headers why dont you go with a TD setup...sounds better than any catback besides GMMG and makes more power than any catback...
Old 02-10-2008, 07:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

the best exhaust i have heard in person on an ls1 is one with longtubes,ory,cutout,flowmaster muffler in stock location(i know flowmaster sucks but the cutout makes up for it.)...something about most of the exhaust exiting through the cutout and part of it through the muffler make it sound amazing
Old 02-10-2008, 09:25 PM
Teching In

i dont think ive ever heard the flowmasters before, all i know is they dont have the best rep.

I would go with a TD setup, but i hate how it dumps before the rear axel. i know its more efficient but this is just a street car for me...i think the true duals sound insane but i really just wanted to go with a CB, thanks for the suggestion tho.
Old 02-10-2008, 10:21 PM
Launching!

everyone around here praises magnaflow as the best cheap catback... I have no experience with it and personally think the tips look like crap... unless you get the dual dual tips... but thats like 650
Old 02-10-2008, 10:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Since you're in RI I think stainless would be a good option. I'm pretty sure the TSP exhausts are plain steel.
Old 02-10-2008, 11:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by midnight_effect
i dont think ive ever heard the flowmasters before, all i know is they dont have the best rep.
thats why there is a cutout...that will outflow a catback
Old 02-11-2008, 08:08 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Go with the Magnaflow. I've got it on my car and I personally think it sounds great. It doesn't necessarily have a "unique" sound, per se, like the Borla, Corsa, or Loudmouth, but it's pretty much just a straight forward kick your *** kind of sound. You really can't go wrong with it for the price, plus they flow really well, as opposed to something like the Flowmaster previously mentioned.

PS - If you had a TA, I would not recommend the Magnaflow unless getting the dual tipped CB for a bit more money because the standard tips don't look too great on the TAs, in my opinion.
Old 02-11-2008, 08:12 AM
TECH Addict

yep,,
Magnaflow. You get the best of all worlds...
Old 02-11-2008, 08:12 AM
Restricted User

I have PS LT's ORY ECutout and Magnaflow CB and I love it! It's quiet until I open the cutout but with it closed it still has a quiet rumble to it.
Old 02-11-2008, 11:45 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yup running magnaflow and love it!! yeah its pretty quiet, but sounds really good!! another good option is hooker as well. but if i were to change my catback i would say corsa.
Old 02-11-2008, 01:19 PM
Teching In

yeah i was thinking hooker as well but a buddy of mine has it and i wasnt too impressed with it...it might just be his set up (not sure what it was) but yeah.

i mean the rumbler just uses the Dynomax Bullet muffler, i would have thought someone would have used it on here lol

Thanks for the suggestions guys and keep em coming!
Old 02-11-2008, 02:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

ive got the car that aaron653 is talking about. I dont exactly know why it sounds so good, but its pretty amazing. Now the cutout is 2.5 inch i believe. It was on there when i got it, and all i know is that a 3'' electric cut out wont fit in the i.d. of the cutout. So maybe the smaller diameter has something to do with it. I aslo have a cammed 98 with coated long tubes, ory, and a 3'' cutout with magnaflow cb and it doesnt sound NEAR as clean as my convertable. So who knows?!