Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

New MAF for FI guys?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 09:32 AM
8 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default New MAF for FI guys?

I'm not sure if any of you seen this MAF yet?

http://www.abacoperformance.com/

I was talking to one of my Mustang Tuners and apparantely you can adjust the frequency so the table doesn't max out. If this holds true then it should be a great tuning aid for guys running the MAF and FI.

Any thoughts?
Old 02-11-2008, 09:35 AM
9 Second Club

You dont like your SD tune?
Old 02-11-2008, 09:41 AM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by JMBLOWNWS6
You dont like your SD tune?
NOPE! It's no better than to trick the MAF-I had to reduce my VE by 50%-so back on went the MAF. I think kit's safer IMHO-you'll never over boost with a blower.
Old 02-11-2008, 09:44 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by eb02z06
NOPE! It's no better than to trick the MAF-I had to reduce my VE by 50%-so back on went the MAF. I think kit's safer IMHO-you'll never over boost with a blower.
Strange. Im not saying you dont know how to tune but my SD tune was much better than my Maf tune. Hell my car drives like it's stock now untill you mash the gas. No bucking,surging or anything of that nature. And I have a BIG CAM.
Old 02-11-2008, 09:53 AM
8 Second Club

I think part of the problem was the 96lb injectors. Nick Y had the same problem too-hit too many grams/cyl and the computer shuts down. Even Doug@ECS and Road Rebel have stayed away from it on C5's. I know Nick got some patches from HPT so we'll have to see if they work. In the summer I may try it again but it get's hard to drive around tuning building a VE table in the snow-lol!
Old 02-11-2008, 10:04 AM
9 Second Club

I hear yea! I had HPT do alot of editing on the silver car. There were options in the 2bar OS that needed to be s/d in order to get the car to run right. I am suprised you havent tried the 79lbs from racetronix. They are high imp and add up to around 91# ers after you add our base pressure of 59 psig.
Old 02-11-2008, 10:12 AM
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by JMBLOWNWS6
I hear yea! I had HPT do alot of editing on the silver car. There were options in the 2bar OS that needed to be s/d in order to get the car to run right. I am suprised you havent tried the 79lbs from racetronix. They are high imp and add up to around 91# ers after you add our base pressure of 59 psig.
They didn't have them out last April/07 when I got the car out. It would of been nice to try. The 60's@80 psi(BR) where at 130%DC, I was going to try the 75's from RC but one of my Mustang buddy's talked me out of them. The 96's where pretty easy to dial in-Slowhawk helped out here.
I might try the 79's soon on a turbo car but it's weird that no one has tried them yet. I heard there some guys out in Australia drilling out the 60's with great success-after drilling they where like a 96.
Old 02-11-2008, 10:41 AM
9 Second Club

They didn't have them out last April/07 when I got the car out. It would of been nice to try. The 60's@80 psi(BR) where at 130%DC, I was going to try the 75's from RC but one of my Mustang buddy's talked me out of them. The 96's where pretty easy to dial in-Slowhawk helped out here.
I might try the 79's soon on a turbo car but it's weird that no one has tried them yet. I heard there some guys out in Australia drilling out the 60's with great success-after drilling they where like a 96.
We are using the rc 75's on the silver vette at 900 rwhp to the tire. And a WOT the fuel pressure is around 78 psig. They run well. But needed alot of tuning.
Old 02-11-2008, 12:22 PM
8 sec potential, 12 sec slip

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So would that MAF be a direct replacement for the stock MAF and then the stock computer can read it? How do you calibrate the stock OS with say HPT to use this MAF?
Old 02-11-2008, 05:30 PM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

A company called "injection Perfection" in Oz did those apparently. I did make one enquiry...but then figured, **** it.

Im going to 16 injectors instead. The 60lb Siemens just work too well. May as well use 16 of them !!!
My ecu can do it without me even thinking about it, so it makes sense.

Ive been using the RC 73lb's....I'll be glad to get rid of them, although they have worked ok.
Old 02-17-2008, 01:20 AM
Teching In

arun if i get one can you tune it for me at daves new shop
Old 02-17-2008, 07:58 AM
TECH Addict

I'm not sure if any of you seen this MAF yet?

http://www.abacoperformance.com/

I was talking to one of my Mustang Tuners and apparantely you can adjust the frequency so the table doesn't max out. If this holds true then it should be a great tuning aid for guys running the MAF and FI.

Any thoughts?
Here's the same concept MAF from LPE> http://www.lingenfelter.com/store/ln4232.html

I almost went with this one before my last dyno tune, but ended up talking myself out of it becuase Bryan from PCM's for less is a master at taking care of the PE tables once the MAF is maxed out, so I thought I'd save the money and just stay with my stock descreened MAF.

You are correct though about how MAF cars are better than the SD tunes, as they are hardly ever accurate as the atmospheric changes constantly occur and you have nothing to take it into account and change things like having a MAF would.

Last edited by CALL911; 02-17-2008 at 08:04 AM.
Old 02-17-2008, 08:59 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by CALL911
Here's the same concept MAF from LPE> http://www.lingenfelter.com/store/ln4232.html

I almost went with this one before my last dyno tune, but ended up talking myself out of it becuase Bryan from PCM's for less is a master at taking care of the PE tables once the MAF is maxed out, so I thought I'd save the money and just stay with my stock descreened MAF.

You are correct though about how MAF cars are better than the SD tunes, as they are hardly ever accurate as the atmospheric changes constantly occur and you have nothing to take it into account and change things like having a MAF would.

I agree, Ben. Brent tunes with stock maf's on a lot of the cars we build, such as the C5 shown here. We also prefer to keep the front 02 sensors on as well. http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com...Car.php?car=40 Bob
Old 02-17-2008, 09:21 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Alot of tuners prefer the MAF because it takes less time and it will correct tables that are off or temp/elevation changes which you need to know the correction factors going OLSD.
In my eye's nothing beats OLSD on a FI or big cam car.If you know what you are doing the car will run perfect and correct itself in all weather,elevation changes. Also we have our Vette running perfect with 96lb injectors toping out at 20-22lbs of boost in OLSD.

Don't get me wrong.We still have FI cars running 16-18lbs on stock MAF's but SD without the MAF's just runs better.
Old 02-17-2008, 09:33 AM
9 Second Club

i love my olsd tune vs my maf. I like my a/f and timing being correct for whatever boost i decide to run.
Old 02-17-2008, 09:51 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Slowhawk
Alot of tuners prefer the MAF because it takes less time and it will correct tables that are off or temp/elevation changes which you need to know the correction factors going OLSD.
In my eye's nothing beats OLSD on a FI or big cam car.If you know what you are doing the car will run perfect and correct itself in all weather,elevation changes. Also we have our Vette running perfect with 96lb injectors toping out at 20-22lbs of boost in OLSD.

Don't get me wrong.We still have FI cars running 16-18lbs on stock MAF's but SD without the MAF's just runs better.

We've done a lot of our customer's cars both ways as well, such as Anthony Peck's Trans-Am that would hardly run when he drove it off the trailer for us to tune, after another shop had tried to tune it SD. Once we tuned it SD as well the car purred. http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com/hotCars.php?car=70 Bob
Old 02-17-2008, 10:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

i think the problem with MAFs are in the ECM,
the MAF table only goes so high.
maybe a COS with higher MAF table values like some COS
with a boost VE table would be an option.
Old 02-17-2008, 11:03 AM
8 Second Club

This MAF is completely different than the LPE, the LPE will still max out as nothing has changed but the size the of the meter. This new meter will allow you to change the frequency so you don't max it out.

I do like the SD tunes for big power but Nick and I had the same issues with the throttle closing-this required alot "tweaking" by HPT to eliminate that. I had to reduce my VE table by 50% so I wouldn't hit the 2.32 gram/cyl and put the car in reduced power mode. That's fine and I can work around it, while it is a PIA but for customer who doesn't want to mess with the car the MAF i still the way to go.

If this new sensor works, the end user will really benefit.
Old 02-17-2008, 11:44 AM
FormerVendor

This MAF is completely different than the LPE, the LPE will still max out as nothing has changed but the size the of the meter. This new meter will allow you to change the frequency so you don't max it out.

I do like the SD tunes for big power but Nick and I had the same issues with the throttle closing-this required alot "tweaking" by HPT to eliminate that. I had to reduce my VE table by 50% so I wouldn't hit the 2.32 gram/cyl and put the car in reduced power mode. That's fine and I can work around it, while it is a PIA but for customer who doesn't want to mess with the car the MAF i still the way to go.

If this new sensor works, the end user will really benefit.
Isnt this the same deal as a MAFT? Skewing the output rate based on range?

Either way there is only a certain amount of data that the pcm knows. In all reality, we need a custom OS that allows aftermarket mafs and higher ranges, and or multiple mafs. A twin maf system is ideal due to low range reading and also wot airflow reading as well.

And yes, nothing beats a sd tune for big cam / FI cars, theres a reason most all of the standalones are map based.
Old 02-17-2008, 04:50 PM
TECH Addict

When I talked to them on the phone they made it seem as though the MAF compensated for the extra flowing air (besides the fact it is larger) and it made it near impossible to max it out.

In either case, it would raise the bar considerably to a level that would be harder to achieve to max it out, which is the whole problem in the first place.

Quick Reply: New MAF for FI guys?