Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heads/Cam Opinions

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 11:42 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heads/Cam Opinions

Hey hows it going guys. I have been thinking of ordering my H/C package, this is what I had in mind. Please let me know if it will work without fly cutting. I might shot some N20 in the feature maybe a 75-100 shot but way later after the H/C install. 2800$ budget.

Heads: PRC 5.3L Stage 2.5 with PRC Dual Valve Spring Kit with Titanium Retainers. If you guys have any suggestions on how to have them setup let me know.

Cam: Torquer V3 231/234 .643"/.598" 111 LSA

Timing Chain: LS2 Set(is that ok?)

Heads Gaskets: I need help with this, should I just get the GM H/C package that TSP has, or with this particular setup should I get something safer? I can get Cometics if recommended and then get the basic Cam gasket and bolt kit separate.

Oil Pump: TSP Ported LS6

Push Rods :I dont know? 1.400 standard?

Bolts:ARP 12-Point Head Stud Kit , Pre-2004 Blocks

Pulley: Power bond 25% UD Balancer Pulley with all the belts.

Thermostat: 160 or 180? where I live the Hottest it gets in the summer is 90' and its only for like 2 days max, then its cools to like 70's to low 80's.

Btw my car has 26lb injectors, but my buddy gave me a free pair of stock 28lbs from another ls1 motor, do I need to flow check them or something before install? or are they good to go?

Well thyre you have it, I have an idea of what to get but im still a noob and just want to do it right.

Thx guys POST UP! hehe
Old 02-13-2008, 12:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The heads are set up fine for that cam and should clear fine with out flycutting but its is always good to check to be safe. The ls2 chain will work. There are plenty of people using the GM MLS gaksets with no problem or you can use a .04 cometic for more compression, about 11.0 to 1 with those heads and a .04 gasket. I went wiht a 7.4 pushrod but it is kind of noisy I also have the powerbond pulley and have had no problems with it. I would just go with a 180 thermostat. You might want to step up to the SVO
30lb injectors because with the stock 28s I am at 89% IDC with a 224 cam and those heads.
Old 02-13-2008, 02:00 AM
12 Second Club

Thx for the info mchdg86.

Ok guys, so the PRC 5.3's will work well with 5.7 GM MLS gaskets with the torquer V3? I hear people saying 7.425 instead of standard 7.400 push rods. ??
Old 02-13-2008, 07:24 AM
Restricted User

That size PR might make a little too much valvetrain noise. I'd just stick w/ the 7.4"
Old 02-13-2008, 07:37 AM
Launching!

just ask TSP
Old 02-13-2008, 08:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would swap the lifters out also. I'm putting LS7 lifters in mine, TSP has them and they are cheap too. LS2 chain is fine, I'm only getting the chain myself. I know if you order from TSP, they will make it so the heads fit with the cam. I agree with just asking TSP. I've been told that the MS3 (114LSA) I'm putting in is going to have PTV issues. TSP said they will make the heads to fit the cam. I'm doing just about the same set up just a little bigger cam. I was told LS7 lifters/2.5-5.3 heads/MS3 w/114LSA will still use 7.400 pushrods. Been doing alot of talking with TSP
Old 02-13-2008, 10:05 AM
TECH Resident

GM replacement gaskets should be perfectly fine. The only problem i ever had with them was a blown one ... that was on my part because i drove it too much untuned, not the gaskets problem.

PS, don't forget lifters. Unless your on a 30K mile car.
Old 02-13-2008, 02:20 PM
12 Second Club

Thanks guys for the info, I will be calling TSP soon to place my order!
Old 02-13-2008, 02:27 PM
TECH Resident

just some info...tsp uses cammotion lobes not comp lobes...good luck you your setup
Old 02-13-2008, 03:15 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by firefighting1101
just some info...tsp uses cammotion lobes not comp lobes...good luck you your setup
whats the diff? lol
Old 02-13-2008, 06:23 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Patrick G suggested 7.425 pushrods with my cam
Old 02-13-2008, 07:25 PM
12 Second Club

I just called Matt at tsp, and he said the setup is good to go, and wont have any issues with PTVC. I went and ordered some new ls7 lifters as well. I cant wait!

BayAreaSS, I was thinking about the 7.425 but Matt said the push rods are fine I mean I would think he would recommend me the best for thy re own product.
So have you installed you cam yet?
Old 02-13-2008, 09:52 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by BuBbABFP
I just called Matt at tsp, and he said the setup is good to go, and wont have any issues with PTVC. I went and ordered some new ls7 lifters as well. I cant wait!

BayAreaSS, I was thinking about the 7.425 but Matt said the push rods are fine I mean I would think he would recommend me the best for thy re own product.
So have you installed you cam yet?
If thats what he recommended than i would of went with him just like you did. They are the professionals

The cam install begins friday night and should be done by saturday evening. I have noticed that me and you do similar mods at around the same time! Our cars are very similar except you can afford heads

When do you plan to install it?
Old 02-13-2008, 11:02 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I used 7.425 for my setup with no problems whatsoever on a stock GM MLS gasket. You should upgrade injectors for sure. The SVO 30 lbs I used actually flow at 36 lbs on LS1s, and my duty cycle maxed out at like 82%. Still plenty of room. And I did Hex Nuts on my ARP studs instead of 12 point, but it's personal preference.
Old 02-13-2008, 11:03 PM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Just re-read you might be doing a shot in the future, go with bigger injectors for sure. 42 lbers ought to do it.
Old 02-14-2008, 02:48 AM
12 Second Club

BayAreaSS
If thats what he recommended than i would of went with him just like you did. They are the professionals

The cam install begins friday night and should be done by saturday evening. I have noticed that me and you do similar mods at around the same time! Our cars are very similar except you can afford heads

When do you plan to install it?
Hehe, I just placed the order today, they said it will take about 3-5 days to get the heads assmbled then my order will ship. I cant wait mang! So what cam did you end up going with? Btw good luck with the install!

SweeTbone
Just re-read you might be doing a shot in the future, go with bigger injectors for sure. 42 lbers ought to do it
I was thinking of running a shot in the feature but my kit is a Wet kit I would think that the injectors wont matter but the fuel pump? Hehe, anyways my buddy gave me a set of stock 28lb injectors from another Fbod I will install these for now till I get new ones. Do you guys think I would have to flow check them and all or are they good to go?
Old 02-14-2008, 05:31 AM
12 Second Club

Hey hows it going guys. I have been thinking of ordering my H/C package, this is what I had in mind. Please let me know if it will work without fly cutting. I might shot some N20 in the feature maybe a 75-100 shot but way later after the H/C install. 2800$ budget.

Heads: PRC 5.3L Stage 2.5 with PRC Dual Valve Spring Kit with Titanium Retainers. If you guys have any suggestions on how to have them setup let me know.

Cam: Torquer V3 231/234 .643"/.598" 111 LSA

Timing Chain: LS2 Set(is that ok?)

Heads Gaskets: I need help with this, should I just get the GM H/C package that TSP has, or with this particular setup should I get something safer? I can get Cometics if recommended and then get the basic Cam gasket and bolt kit separate.

Oil Pump: TSP Ported LS6

Push Rods :I dont know? 1.400 standard?

Bolts:ARP 12-Point Head Stud Kit , Pre-2004 Blocks

Pulley: Power bond 25% UD Balancer Pulley with all the belts.

Thermostat: 160 or 180? where I live the Hottest it gets in the summer is 90' and its only for like 2 days max, then its cools to like 70's to low 80's.

Btw my car has 26lb injectors, but my buddy gave me a free pair of stock 28lbs from another ls1 motor, do I need to flow check them or something before install? or are they good to go?

Well thyre you have it, I have an idea of what to get but im still a noob and just want to do it right.

Thx guys POST UP! hehe

You are moving in the right direction but just with the wrong parts. I would definitely go with a 243 casting or 035 casting, just because they are better starting points. It seems like everyone gets 5.3 heads because they are cheap. I'm sure they are milled as well. 59cc combustion chamber?? Using a factory thickness headgasket you MIGHT not run into clearance issues but I wouldn't bet on it. If you still plan on using these heads, please spec out a custom grind for your application. It will cost the same as any off the shelf grind except it will actually work. The car will only run as well as its combination of parts. Do more research before you spend your money.
Old 02-14-2008, 06:29 PM
TECH Veteran

BayAreaSS
Hehe, I just placed the order today, they said it will take about 3-5 days to get the heads assmbled then my order will ship. I cant wait mang! So what cam did you end up going with? Btw good luck with the install
I went with a patrick g custom cam. It is a 232.2/233.8 .614/.593 110.89 lsa.

I decided to have a local norcal-ls1 member do the install. I dont have the time or tools to do it myself.
H/C and spray is going to be a lot! Your car is going to be a beast!
Old 02-14-2008, 07:31 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by KONG
You are moving in the right direction but just with the wrong parts. I would definitely go with a 243 casting or 035 casting, just because they are better starting points. It seems like everyone gets 5.3 heads because they are cheap. I'm sure they are milled as well. 59cc combustion chamber?? Using a factory thickness headgasket you MIGHT not run into clearance issues but I wouldn't bet on it. If you still plan on using these heads, please spec out a custom grind for your application. It will cost the same as any off the shelf grind except it will actually work. The car will only run as well as its combination of parts. Do more research before you spend your money.
I don't think these heads are milled, and I believe they have a 62cc chamber..

BayAreaSS

I went with a patrick g custom cam. It is a 232.2/233.8 .614/.593 110.89 lsa.

I decided to have a local norcal-ls1 member do the install. I dont have the time or tools to do it myself.
H/C and spray is going to be a lot! Your car is going to be a beast!
Today 06:31 AM
Nice cam choice, Patrick G has lots of good credit here!

A buddy is going to help me with the install I dont really want to pay a grip you know.

I dont think im going to spray after the install hehe I will wait a few then maybe a 75-100 shot .. LOL
Old 02-14-2008, 08:48 PM
TECH Veteran

I don't think these heads are milled, and I believe they have a 62cc chamber..

BayAreaSS

Nice cam choice, Patrick G has lots of good credit here!

A buddy is going to help me with the install I dont really want to pay a grip you know.

I dont think im going to spray after the install hehe I will wait a few then maybe a 75-100 shot .. LOL
Yea i'm getting it installed for a pretty good price. I will have the cam and a 100 shot. Thats should be enough for me