General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.
View Poll Results: Should i trade or sell for a C5?
Yes, do it!
47.06%
No, just wait...
52.94%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Thinking of trading for a Vette? (Opinions Wanted)

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2008, 10:57 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Thinking of trading for a Vette? (Opinions Wanted)

For a while now ive wanted a clean, low mile C5. With the way prices are, it wouldnt be a problem. Seems like a good time to buy. Also, just getting back from the Auto Show isnt helping.

Here's the situation-> My wife NEEDS a new car, which we will be purchasing sometime in spring. I dont need a new sports/muscle car. Just want badly.... If it wasnt for her needing a new car, i would most likely just pick up a Vette, and have 2 nice cars in the garage.

So sacrifice comes to mind. If i were to sell or trade in my TA, the cost of a C5 would be penny's. Atleast in my eyes. It would be really hard to part w/ my car, and id be afraid id regret it later. But DAMN i want a Vette!

My wife is totally against me getting rid of my TA. Says its not gonna happen! She'd rather have me just wait until the time is right, instead of making it the right time. She just dosent understand the male itch...

Has anyones else been in this situation, or a similar one? What did you end up doing? Any regrets on trading ur Fbod for a C5? Do you guys think my wife is right, and i should just wait? Im open to all opinions, and advice. In no way is my mind made up on the situation. Just looking for some clear-headed, non-biased responses here! Thanks!
Old 02-13-2008, 11:06 AM
TECH Regular

Remember that prices are only going to drop. Try searching a bit and waiting until you find a really good deal and go for it. Or you could let your wife drive the T/A. :-)
Old 02-13-2008, 11:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

IMHO ..i see far more C5 vettes around then 4th gen ls1 fbodys... especially in that color... in fact i have never seen one in person in that color, it looks liek a unique ride, i would keep it. maybe find a different way to "scratch the itch" ... like a new mod, ram air hood, something...
Old 02-13-2008, 11:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

tough decision, C5's are amazing nd I would love to have one rite now too but then again you do have one of the nicest cleanest T/A's I have seen. You could always sell it to me
Old 02-13-2008, 11:16 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

This isnt even a question. GET THE VETTE! If it isnt going to impact her new car then there is no reason to deny yourself. I'd be in a Vette if it fit around my ***..LOL
Old 02-13-2008, 11:23 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Vette Vette Vette Vette Vette!!!!
Old 02-13-2008, 11:26 AM
TECH Apprentice

i say keep your TA looks like a very nice car, just do a few things to it you will appreciate it even more. I think you would probably regret it later on down the road if you were to sell/trade. I sold a grandnational i used to own when i was 17 to buy a LT1 6 speed camaro, i regret that one big time. But now i have my LS1 TA so im happy again but still want another GN for sure.
Old 02-13-2008, 11:43 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by adillhoff
Or you could let your wife drive the T/A. :-)
Funny you say that. There's this new girl in her office that drives a new droptop v6 Stang, that thinks that car is the shiznit. Ever since, my chick keeps saying she wants to take my car to work, to "show her up." Women....

Originally Posted by 98_Formula
IMHO maybe find a different way to "scratch the itch" ... like a new mod, ram air hood, something...
Yeah, im always thinking of that too...

Originally Posted by 99blancoSS
If it isnt going to impact her new car then there is no reason to deny yourself.

It wouldnt.
Old 02-13-2008, 12:17 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Honestly there isnt a question here..lol The EPA is going to enact some hardass guidlines in I think 2010 or something like that. the muscle car's we're seeing now are going to go away. THis is like the last hurrah for the car companies. 35mpg will be the minimum and there will be massive tax on anything not meeting it is my guess. Get it while you can and it's still affordable. Not to mention GM is not doing well at all.
Old 02-13-2008, 12:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

keep your clean *** T/A and like stated above try getting some new mods. it will really make you like your car more.
Old 02-13-2008, 01:13 PM
TECH Addict

keep the T/A and wait for when the budget allows for both, like stated above, its time for a new mod to scratch that itch!
Old 02-13-2008, 01:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

bro, you kno how long ive wanted a T.A? since i was able to say it correctly! dont sell it, vettes are everywhere! and like some of the other guys said your T.A is deff unique. Ive never seen a T.A in that color till now and i can almost guarantee if you put a ram air hood on it and some other mods here and there, you'll look back and be like wtf was i thinking! IMO of course.

BIG RED
Old 02-13-2008, 01:58 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your Trans Am is Hot to death man! I love it but i can honestly tell you i made the same move in Sept. I sold my 2001 Camaro SS to get a Z06. I searched for a Z06 but found my FRC for a steal so i scooped it up. The only difference is I had 2 F-Bodies when i did this but still i loved my SS. The Vette is a amazing car and I say go for it. You only live once man
Old 02-13-2008, 02:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

i think youre all forgetting about the infamous corvette tax. think of upkeep and maintenance. not to mention mods for vettes are typically 2-300 dollars more expensive than t/a's
Old 02-13-2008, 03:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 96ta
i think youre all forgetting about the infamous corvette tax. think of upkeep and maintenance. not to mention mods for vettes are typically 2-300 dollars more expensive than t/a's
This is one reason why I own two Z28s and no Vettes. Nothing wrong with the Vette at all, but it definitely requires more money to fix...
Old 02-13-2008, 03:52 PM
11 Second Club

Let the wife drive the bird and you buy a vette...problem solved...she can "show up" her friend at work and you can have a vette.
Old 02-13-2008, 03:54 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 96ta
if you can do your own oil changes, there isn't much more that needs to be done over an F body for normal maint. I will say that most vendors add a vette tax for mods .
Old 02-13-2008, 04:06 PM
TECH Resident

Yeah, im not worried about the vette tax. You gotta pay to play anyways. I've been pricing up mods for them, and it dosent seem outrageous to me.

Shes getting a new car regardless. The bird isnt, and wont be a d/d.

Anybody else here that made the switch? What are your thoughts and comparisons?
Old 02-13-2008, 04:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I had a Corvette along with my Firehawk at the same time until just recently... The Corvette will get more looks and attention, but that's about it.. Your current car is UNIQUE, a C5 Corvette (non Z06 especially) ISN'T. Parts are more expensive, labor is more expensive, and mods are somewhat more expensive...

Old 02-13-2008, 04:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

I made the same move on the first of the month. I can honestly tell you I will never look back. As soon as I drove of in my Z06 I completely forgot about my T/A and the Z28 I had before it. The C5Z is a absolutely amazing car and you will not be disappointed. Even if you get a coupe you will still enjoy the hell out of the decision. I highly recommend going with a Z, it is a true race ready factory car. I would do it for sure if I was you bro.