Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Polished Robot

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 02:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Polished Robot

So, I know this isn't an lsx or lt1 or anything of that nature but i've been learning how to polish on a robot we're building for a competition called FIRST robotics. . . .i'm a mentor on the team and i took it apon myself to take the job of polishing the wheelboxes transmission and various other parts of our FIRST robot. . . .I hope to later buy an extra LT1 intake or a set of heads to practice on but for now this has been teaching me. - the polishing tools where'nt the greatest and i was given a set deadline on the sanding so i hope to later create a better mirror finish but for a first time this isn't too bad. . .

what the pieces of our robot looked before I sanded and polished them. . .

After I got done with the whole process . . . .

the finished results. . .

the object of the game for this year is to race around a circle track pick up 7 pound round ***** about the size of your robot. . .like the big huge ***** they gave you in elementry school P.E. then shoot them over an 8 ft overpass. . .our robot can shoot 15 .

this is an example of what our robot looks like - this was a prototype over the summer that nasa in houston (our sister team) helped us with designing. . . .

every part of the robot has to be re-fabricated and rebuilt for the actual competition. . .we have 2 of everything to build a practice robot and a game robot. . .the life expectancy of these things is about 45 minutes minimum. . . – we have our first year robot that has survived 3 years now. . .

The robot is built by high school students with the help of engineering students and volunteers in a total of 6 weeks. . . .This is a hardcore robotics competition that's for sure. . .
Old 02-15-2008, 04:06 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

hope you got bottles of WD-40 lined up lol.. sweet idea though.. good luck, and when you get your intake and try it, show us some progress pics
Old 02-15-2008, 04:11 PM
Teching In

i dont understand those sprockets in between the chain.. they are floating? Looks like they arent attached at all.
Old 02-15-2008, 04:12 PM
TECH Resident

i'm also just curious as to why yall put sprockets between the chains?
Old 02-15-2008, 04:20 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Pheonix
Free floating tensioner? Very cool project, can't hurt to have NASA as a sister team.
Old 02-15-2008, 04:24 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Pheonix
Tensioners.
Old 02-15-2008, 05:30 PM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Cool robot! I was in the competition in junior high and high school, and then helped with the competitions when I was at Tech (this and the WT BEST competition). Very cool!

Largest Stocking Distributor of LS-x Engines / CHECK OUT OUR NEW WEBSITE!

COMP - FAST - PACESETTER - DIAMOND RACING - EAGLE SPECIALTY PRODUCTS - CALLIES - COMETIC GASKETS
RAM CLUTCHES - MOSER ENGINEERING - KOOK'S HEADERS - ARP - GM BOLTS AND GASKETS - MSD - NGK
POWERBOND - ASP - AND MORE!
Old 02-16-2008, 05:17 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Matt@Texas-Speed
Cool robot! I was in the competition in junior high and high school, and then helped with the competitions when I was at Tech (this and the WT BEST competition). Very cool!
oh really? - I'm guessing you worked in double E? - yeah this years robot is pretty sweet. . .i hope we get it all put together and polished before we send it off but things are looking pretty close to deadline. . . .i'm still up here working on it even this late - and yeah the sprockets are there for tentioning (if i think what your looking at is the same thing as me) it has a little mark inside of it to sit between each of the little spacers and we tighten them down with 8-32 hex nuts . - thanks for all teh comments and i hope to start on my personal items soon. . .i might even play with anodizing. . .
Old 02-16-2008, 06:51 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

have yalll built a body for it?
Old 02-16-2008, 07:28 AM
8 sec potential, 12 sec slip

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds fun. The polishing looks good I have had 3 robot projects while at OSU for mechanical engineering. Very hard work and long hours, but fun and rewarding. Especially when your team wins the competition
Old 02-16-2008, 07:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

yes - our body is simular to the one in the picture however we designed a turret mounted in the center of the robot that hosts a claw and what we use to launch our ball.