Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TSP Lid Problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2003, 08:32 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default TSP Lid Problems

I know everyone here raves about the TSP lid, but I received mine today and had a problem with it. First off, one of the plastic welds (the two seams) on either side of the lid (where it connects to the MAF) looked really sloppy like it had been gone over several times. Then when I went to connect it to the MAF it just split open where that crappy looking weld was. I didn't even have the clamp on yet since I was just testing it to see how well it was going to fit so it definitely wasn't anything I did incorrectly. I'm very right now. I guess I'll have to call those guys tomorrow, then pay $$ to ship the damn thing back, then order a different lid. What a pain in the a$$.
Old 07-16-2003, 09:02 PM
TECH Junkie

Default Re: TSP Lid Problems

Dude, why come on here and bash TSP without at least contacting them first? They're fellow LS1 enthusiasts and as far as I know it is their intention to take care of us. I know from previous posts that they worked hard to ensure these lids fit perfectly and were of high quality (I know mine is). If you simply call them and tell them your problem, I'm sure they will take care of you.
Old 07-16-2003, 09:15 PM
TECH Resident

I realize they're a sponsor, and I'm not trying to bash them. I'm only reporting the problem I have with the lid, mainly because I'm curious if anyone else has had similar problems.
Old 07-16-2003, 09:16 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Like he said, and drink a beer while youre at it. Call the guys at TSP, Im sure they will even go as far as to cover return shipping and get a new lid out to you asap. TSP has gone above and beyond many times to make the cosumer happy. Im sure they will with you as well.
Old 07-16-2003, 09:50 PM
TECH Resident

Dude, why come on here and bash TSP without at least contacting them first? They're fellow LS1 enthusiasts and as far as I know it is their intention to take care of us. I know from previous posts that they worked hard to ensure these lids fit perfectly and were of high quality (I know mine is). If you simply call them and tell them your problem, I'm sure they will take care of you.
This happens all the time. I make and sell the Super Sucker. My product got thoroughly trashed on this forum. Due to his post I made the SSRA a totally superior product than what it was. It's the best CAI out there in my opinion. Posts like these get the manufacturers attention and forces them to change if they want to keep selling their product.
I've heard about this problem with the TSP lid before. This would make me think twice about the TSP lid. If Texas Speed and Performance sees enough of these types of posts it will force them to improve their product which will benefit the next guy to come along and buy one.
Old 07-16-2003, 10:38 PM
Ian
Launching!

I have a TSP lid on my 00 WS6, and it fit perfectly. I couldn't have asked for a better product.
Old 07-16-2003, 11:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Why not come on and say he got a crappy lid he's not bashing their company just stating the one he got sucked. What if you bought a head & cam package and it made 325 hp would you come on here and vent your anger? I have an old MTI lid and i am thinking of getting a TSP lid will this change my mind, no but if i see this complaint 20 times it probably would and this is the exact reason why we post info good or bad!!
Old 07-16-2003, 11:10 PM
TECH Resident

Exactly. You can't censor how you feel just because someone is a sponsor. Hell, I bought the TSP lid because everyone on here says they're so good...and I'm not saying they don't make a fine product, but the one I got was no good.
Old 07-17-2003, 12:06 AM
LSxGuy widda 9sec Mustang

They'll probably just send you a call tag to ship the old one back. Too bad there isn't a way for the manufacturing plant to make a 1-piece lid.
Old 07-17-2003, 12:32 AM
TECH Resident

I hear ya. Are any of the aftermarket lids 1 piece?
Old 07-17-2003, 12:41 AM
TECH Regular

I think you just got a bad one. I've had 2 TSP lids (85mm CF & regular CF lid now) & they both have been awesome. Now shipping times are terrible but the product is good.
Old 07-17-2003, 12:43 AM
LSxGuy widda 9sec Mustang

Not that I know of, they all seem to have adhesive, and some brands come with extra plastic welding. Mostly the black are plastic welded since it seems a better plastic than whats available in clear IMO.
Old 07-17-2003, 07:57 AM
Launching!

Not that I know of, they all seem to have adhesive, and some brands come with extra plastic welding. Mostly the black are plastic welded since it seems a better plastic than whats available in clear IMO.
There is a way to make one. The process is called twin sheet vac-forming. I am in the plastics industry and we do injection molding and vac-forming. Unfortunately for me I am a processor/machine builder and don'thave the funds to produce such a mold. It could be done with an injection mold as wel but at probably 10x the cost. Just letting you know that it is possible.
Rob
Old 07-17-2003, 08:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

My TSP lid came with an epoxy where it was welded together, clear lid, I didn't like how it looked, I spoke with TSP over the phone and they were VERY easy going about it and are sending me a new one with clear epoxy (not yellow) and all I have to do is send the other one back.
Good customer service if you ask me.
-Steve
Old 07-17-2003, 09:17 AM
TECH Junkie

Exactly. You can't censor how you feel just because someone is a sponsor. Hell, I bought the TSP lid because everyone on here says they're so good...and I'm not saying they don't make a fine product, but the one I got was no good.
My point is not that there aren't anomolies in any manufacturing process nor am I preaching censorship - my point is that there are "proper" channels to go through when you have a problem. The first step is to contact the vendor. The reason being that when you make a negative comment about a product and broadcast it out to thousands of people (with bad intentions or not) there can be repercussions to someone's business and livelihood. If you have a problem with a part at least give the vendor (sponsor or not) the opportunity to make it right. Remember, in any business accidents and mistakes WILL happen - its just a given. The sign of a good vendor is how they handle the problem when it does happen.
Old 07-17-2003, 10:22 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

TA WS6,

Like everyone said if your not 100% satisfied with your lid we will ship you a replacement no problem. Every lid is test fit before it ships out so I'm really surprised you have a lid that doesn't fit properly. Call or E-mail the guys at the shop & they will get you a lid out to replace it.

ss1le02,
We have now implemented a system of checking every lid before it is shipped out, the odds that someone gets a lid that doesn't fit propery is very very slim.

TA WS6,
Like I said give Brian or Trevor a call, they will take care of you on it & get you a new lid out asap.
404cid Stroker, 67mm Twins
994rwhp/902lb ft @ 22 psi (mustang dyno) www.Texas-Speed.com
Old 07-17-2003, 10:46 AM
TECH Apprentice

So far in my experiences - these guys have been great to deal with via email and via phone. Have spoken to both Brain and Trevor personally and due to their easy going/helpful personalities - I just opted to try out their new lid. Should be here Friday/Saturday. I am sure if you call them - they will make it right.
Old 07-17-2003, 11:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

In a post above it is stated this is the sponsors livelihood. Before you make a post that will allow someone to second guess what ever the sponsor is selling consider this. You can actually take food from their table and from their family by possibly misleading a lot of people. Many times people make negative comments about a sponsor and never come back to clean up the mess that they have started when the sponsor handles the situation like a professional. They simply leave everyone to believe that they were screwed. Contact the business and see how they respond, if they are a ***** about it then let us have the WHOLE story. Then we can make a more complete decision about doing business with the sponsor in question and others can compare notes as to what kind of service and product they are getting.

Later,
Bart
Old 07-17-2003, 11:24 AM
TECH Resident

For those of you that are upset about my post, I'm sorry. But like I said, I wanted to know if this was a common problem. And since I'm not the type of person to "leave everyone hanging" as someone posted, here's an update. I called and talked to Brian today (I couldn't yesterday because by the time I got home and tried the lid TSP was closed) and they are sending another one out today. Brian was very cool on the phone and quick to help. I also am having them ship the smooth bellows since I have the induction system taken apart already. I'll update this again as soon as I fit the lid.

I think some of you should also note that, most LS1 enthusiasts are not idiots. They're going to fully research parts before they buy. And they're not going to read my post and simply not buy the TSP lid. As someone else said earlier, if there were dozens of complaints like this, maybe, but one bad lid isn't going to hurt their business. I've seen other posts about other brands of lids having problems and unless it's a consensus that it's a crappy lid, people will buy it. Just look at all the great comments about TSP lids on this forum. As far as I can tell, I'm one of the first people to post here that has had one with a problem. And it's my understanding that it is the purpose of these forums to share information. Now that I've rambled enough, I hope this clears up any misconceptions about my intent with this post. As I said, I'll update again soon.
Old 07-17-2003, 11:29 AM
LS1Tech Premium Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My e-mail has been down for two days, so this post was just brought to my attention. We ALWAYS take care of our customers. All you have to do is give us a call, and we will be more than happy to take care of this for you. We ship out a LOT of lids each week, and we are the only vendor out there that test-fits the aftermarket lids to my knowledge. Once in a blue moon we have a lid that has problems, like yours. I am the first to admit that we're not perfect, but I can guarantee that we will take care of our customers. All you have to do is call or e-mail us, and we will get it taken care of. We will issue a call tag for your current lid and get another one out to you ASAP. You can e-mail me with your phone number if you prefer, and I will give you a call. Whatever is easiest for you will work for us.

ss1le02 - We are constantly revising our product to make it better than it already is. If this was a common problem, then we would not send anymore out the door until it was fixed. This is why the black and carbon fiber 85mm lids have been on back-order for so long. We won't send them out if they do not meet our standards. We have sent back well over 100 lids to the manufacturer because they did not meet our quality control checks. Our ratio of good vs. bad lids is very high, so I think telling people to think twice before buying our product is a bit of a stretch. Again, we're the only company that I know of that test-fits EVERY induction lid before shipping it out. It doesn't take a large pile of negative posts to make us want to change our product. We are constantly revising to make it better because we have customer satisfaction in mind. We don’t wait to receive a ton of negative posts before starting updates or revisions. Maybe you should give one of our lids a try before speaking so poorly about it. If this is something you would like to discuss more, then I encourage you to give me a call at the shop. The number is in my sig.

Thanks!

Trevor