Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Edelbrock conversion for A body

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2008, 08:57 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Edelbrock conversion for A body

Has anyone used the Edelbrock headers and engine mount kit yet? I am installing a LS6 in a 69 Chevelle and wondering if anyone has tried it. A buddy and I have put a LS6 in his 70 Chevelle and used the Hooker headers and manufactured engine mounts. We used the truck brackets on his and are planning on doing the same with mine. His is auto OD and I am considering using the Muncie 4 speed that came in my car. Any info would be great!
Old 02-25-2008, 10:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

do a search on the swap that are both on going and completed for the A-Body Chevelle guys.. if not.. I am sure someone will ping in..
Old 02-26-2008, 09:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im interested also... 6.0L/4l80E for my 71 chevelle...

Rick
Old 02-27-2008, 12:42 PM
Teching In

sounds like there is a problem with clearance on the AC compressor. wonder if this is true with the truck front pully system. We used the truck front on a 70 Chevelle and the AC has room but had a prblem with the pully on the power steering pump. Not sure about the engine location since we made our own mount and changer the location of the frame mount. Is the mount for the AC different on the truck setup?
Old 02-27-2008, 01:11 PM
Launching!

Just got off the phone with ATech(Summits wholesale) they have 2 sets of headers ordered and both are backordered.Next stocking order from Edelbrock is Mid to late March.This is when Atech/Summit will get Edelbrock stuff,NOT necessarily get the headers.I ordered the Doug's Headers and mounts for similair price.Will let you know how things install in 1-2 weeks.

http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_...ofit/ls1.shtml
Old 02-27-2008, 10:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

I don't know about the AC yet as it's not pulled from the donor vehicle yet! Soon tho...

Rick
Old 02-27-2008, 11:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by flywheel
Im interested also... 6.0L/4l80E for my 71 chevelle...

Rick

Old 02-27-2008, 11:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

And to add. I strongly feel that the edelbrock swap kit is a smokin deal.
Old 02-28-2008, 09:36 AM
TECH Senior Member

Ls1_chevelle.. does a stock hood fit over the intake cover ?.. would a oem style hood clear?
Old 02-28-2008, 03:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by bczee
Ls1_chevelle.. does a stock hood fit over the intake cover ?.. would a oem style hood clear?
lol nope. I knew someone would ask. There was a red chevelle in a hot rod magazine...where he claimed the hood cleared the engine cover. I can't see how. He said the oil pan was a stock truck pan. I have the ls car pan, and it is sitting on my crossmember and I still can't close my hood.
Old 02-28-2008, 04:41 PM
Staging Lane

can you close the hood with out the engine cover?
Old 02-28-2008, 04:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

LOL.. hmm I guess a can opener or a Cowl hood is next !
Old 02-28-2008, 05:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by markarleta1
can you close the hood with out the engine cover?
easily.
Old 02-28-2008, 06:17 PM
Staging Lane

The Header #65073 have been released to the warehouse....WOO HOO, for those of you who have them on order you should be seeing them anyday.

Originally Posted by Jim Maras
sounds like there is a problem with clearance on the AC compressor. wonder if this is true with the truck front pully system. We used the truck front on a 70 Chevelle and the AC has room but had a prblem with the pully on the power steering pump. Not sure about the engine location since we made our own mount and changer the location of the frame mount. Is the mount for the AC different on the truck setup?
The A/C compressor on any of the LS series will contact the frame on the A-body, it will require a relocation or a aftermarket pulley drive to use with A/C. We placed the engine as close the original location in the frame so that transmission would be in the correct location so things like shifters (column) and any of the aftermarket companies manual conversions for T56 or TKO's will work. Keeping the engine in the correct location makes the car handle better by keeping the weight off the front tires, effectively balancing the vehicle.
Old 02-28-2008, 07:43 PM
Teching In

Karl, Iam using the truck front pully setup. The power steering pump and alterator are switched around. Do you know if there is a clearance problem with the pully on the power streering pump and the steering box? I am guessing you have probably been working with the car setup but the truck ones are very easy to find and much cheaper.
Old 02-29-2008, 11:39 AM
Staging Lane

Jim; Your right on the accessory drive I have only dealt with is the what we believe was a GTO, it is hard to tell it was an LS2 from an Aussie AWD Holden cause the oil pan that was on the engine had a hole through it. I have not personally tried the truck drive, my concerns would be the PS reservoir hitting the steering box and the height of the alternator for hood clearance.
Old 02-29-2008, 01:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by EdelExh
Jim; Your right on the accessory drive I have only dealt with is the what we believe was a GTO, it is hard to tell it was an LS2 from an Aussie AWD Holden cause the oil pan that was on the engine had a hole through it. I have not personally tried the truck drive, my concerns would be the PS reservoir hitting the steering box and the height of the alternator for hood clearance.

alt to hood is a non issue with any mounts on the market. I cannot see this being an issue on a stock non cowl chevelle.

PS box... The pulley on the pump will only be an issue if your passenger side cylinder head is more then an inch from the firewall.
Old 03-02-2008, 12:19 AM
TECH Apprentice

I think ALL chevelles should have a cowl hood on them! HEEE..

LS1, what did those engine covers come on? My van motor will need something like that.

Is that the truck intake? and what oil pan did you use?

Will those covers/heads going to clear an AC box? I suppose since a big block fits an ls1 should. Looks close tho....

Rick
Old 03-02-2008, 01:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

I agree with Flywheel... My Chevelle has a fully functional Cowl Induction Hood that feeds my LS1 intake.. and it is really a Cold Air Intake, as it draw air from the outside of the engine bay only and through the Cowl !

Old 03-02-2008, 12:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

^^^^^that is ******* sweet

Quick Reply: Edelbrock conversion for A body