Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

How many have you guys, came in right after Highschool?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 11:18 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default How many have you guys, came in right after Highschool?

When I graduated, I got shipped off to boot camp 6 days later.

Now eight years later I am still active, and going to be staying in.

But what my main problem with that is. Since I came in straight out of school, I am scared to be a civilian again, having to actually work for a living, and adjust to the civilian way of life... Kinda scares me you know?

I really have only known hard labor work, when in Highschool, and then military work.

And I have always had some kind of supervision. Either military, or my father.
Old 03-05-2008, 11:21 AM
Launching!

I went into the Marines right out of high school and got Med out only 4 months after going in. Went to college and joined the Army, I just reenlisted for 6 more years in November. I wish I could of stayed in the Marines though
Old 03-05-2008, 11:32 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I joined at the end of summer after I graduated. Spent 5 years in the Corps and thought that life would be better on the outside. I miss the Corps everyday and wish I would have re-enlisted. Life as a Civ. isnt all its cracked up to be. Theres no dicipline very little structure. You could end up working for or with someone that you feel is a complete piece of **** and theres nothing you can do about it. People for the most part are pussies to. If they have a problem with someone or something they wont speak up they are scared to get in someones face.
Old 03-05-2008, 11:43 AM
Launching!

Joined 3 weeks after high school, came in for 6 years and i cannot wait to get out. Only 2 more years!!!!

-justin
Old 03-05-2008, 01:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Shipped to BMT after my last summer. I can't wait until I get out!
Old 03-05-2008, 02:58 PM
Teching In

Year of college. Want to get out and go back to school
Old 03-05-2008, 04:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

I joined right after HS and I am still a little wierd when it comes to civilian life. I say and do things all the time that nobody understands. I am going to school and thats a little wierd too cause now I am 28 and going to school with 18-21 year olds that mostly still live at home and havent done anything, thats the hardest part to get used to. Saying that, I am happy to be out.
Old 03-05-2008, 06:45 PM
Staging Lane

I was delayed entry all of my senior year of high school, then went to boot camp right after graduating. Been in the Marine Corps for about 9 years now. Just recently finished my bachelor's and am submitting to the May officer selection board to be a pilot. I can not imagine doing anything other than being a Marine. I feel sorry for people when I go back home to Tulsa and see how sheltered and bland their lives are; how people only care about themselves. I can't do a 9-5 job. I guess I'll just stick with the 5-9 instead, eh?
Old 03-06-2008, 12:04 AM
Restricted User

I joined the army right after highschool when I was 17. Left everything behind and have been in 9yrs. I pinned on SFC/E-7 not too long ago. I will be applying to PA school next year and will hopefully be accepted and commissioned when I graduate. Your career is what you make of it.
Old 03-06-2008, 06:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I joined at 17 like a week after graduating. I would NEVER have stayed enlisted even though I made e-5 at 20, but i transferring to warrant officer (pilot) and love it. Now Im a CW3 and kicks *** being in the middle lol.

Jerry
Old 03-06-2008, 10:03 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I too joined the Military straight out of High school in 02. I've got 2 more years left in service and as it gets closer to my DOS all I keep thinking about how much different things will be as well as all the things I loved and hated that I'm gonna miss (weird I know). I've seen a lot of people that have gotten out and just basically fell off simply because they didn't plan ahead, my advice to you is to see what options you have available if you decide to get out i.e. civilian gov employeed, your current job as a civilian in the non gov world, education, etc. Like I mentioned earlier, I've got 2 years left and I've been taking as many college courses as I can since Fall of 06. Before you decided to get out see what you could do if you decided to stay in such as a change in career fields. Best of luck with your decision...

Isaac
Old 03-06-2008, 10:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i waited...went to college for 3 weeks and got bored and joined the navy...probably not the smartest bored thing to do...
Old 03-06-2008, 10:21 PM
11 Second Club

Thanks for the kind words...

I pretty much have my career mapped out. To be honest, I have since I was 14... I always new I would serve. But never planned on doing the full 20+. I have had job offers from some pretty neat companys, such as Edlebrock, Raytheon, HAAS, BOENG, Government based jobs in the Sub feild. But I have turned down all of them.. I was just not ready for the Civilian side yet, and I still am not.

Sometimes I kick my self in the ***, because some of my job offers, were paying three times what I make now, as a married E-5 with 8+ years... lol. But my time will come.

I was just interested in what you guys thought of it, and what your feelings are on the life after the military...

And if you are wondering what it is I do, that can get some good job offers like that.
I am a CNC Programmer/Operator working with CAD/CAM 3,4, and 5 AXIS.<<6+ years, and Manual Machinist<<<9+ years.
Old 03-06-2008, 10:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Got you all beat, 36 hours after graduation. Left for the Corp, and cant wait to get out!!!! Not that the Marine Corp is bad, just not for everyone. I need a job that makes me scratch my head everyday, and kicks my ***. Plus i need a environment that is always changing. Am going to be attending S.A.M. in Houston this summer, and cant wait. Did my time, but now its time to PARTY.
Old 03-06-2008, 10:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I quit school and joined the army when I was 17 in 1987. I now have 21 years and submitted my retirement this week. It has been one hell of a ride and I have to say I am a little nervous about being a civilian but I think I am old enough and mature enough to be successful. I will just have to carry a needle and thread to sew my tongue back together. Apparently you can't get in someone's face a scream you are a dumb MF'er in the civilian workplace. The army actually frowns on it now too. When I came in it happened every five minutes. LOL Anyway I loved the army and it was really good to me and my family but its time to move on. Household six has spoken.
Old 03-08-2008, 09:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

i joined like a month or two right after i graduated. i cant wait till i get out....in 2020 lol i'll just have turned 38 and will get paid for the rest of my life. cant beat that with a stick.
Old 03-09-2008, 08:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

i was DEP for 13 months waiting to go...now i cant wait to get out.
Old 03-09-2008, 07:57 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Mike @ CMS
I joined at the end of summer after I graduated. Spent 5 years in the Corps and thought that life would be better on the outside. I miss the Corps everyday and wish I would have re-enlisted. Life as a Civ. isnt all its cracked up to be. Theres no dicipline very little structure. You could end up working for or with someone that you feel is a complete piece of **** and theres nothing you can do about it. People for the most part are pussies to. If they have a problem with someone or something they wont speak up they are scared to get in someones face.
I went went to MCRD San Diego 20-something days after i graduated. I loved the Corps and had every intention of re-enlisting until I was so sick of the Air Wing I could've puked. I am now working the same job/civilian side (firefighter) over here in Iraq. I still work for dumbasses and it's almost not worth the extra pay! All in all, the grass isn't always greener on the civvy side but it isn't bad either. Don't be afraid of change. As far as discipline and structure goes, that's up to you to stay on top of.
Old 03-10-2008, 02:33 PM
Launching!

Joined the Marines a few months after graduating from High school. Parents had to sign because I was still 17. I was in the DEP for 6 months before I went to MCRD.Did a 5 yr. stint and got out back in 97.
Old 03-10-2008, 05:34 PM
TECH Regular

you probably know this already, but that is most people (joining right after high school). I joined when I was 22, after 2 years in college and two years doing corporate stuff, and I was really frustrated with the 18 year olds who just didn't understand most of the time. I still get frustrated by that, and I am 26 now, but I am used to it... I was one of the smaller percentage who did not join till I was in my 20s...

Quick Reply: How many have you guys, came in right after Highschool?