Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

The Final Step.

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 08:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Default The Final Step.

Well today I took the, possibly, final step of my military career. I have asked to be allowed to retire. After nearly 21 years of service I think it is time for me to move on. It was probably the hardest thing I have ever done. My retirement date would be a year from now but just filling out the paperwork requesting it was really hard for some reason. But my wife said she couldn't go through yet another deployment knowing that I have given 21 years and knowing what could happen. I can't blame her I've been to Iraq 3 times and have also been to every other shitbox country we have gone to in the last 21 years except Somalia. I am sad but also very happy. Wierd feeling. The army can say no and make me stay but hopefully they won't. We'll see.
Old 03-05-2008, 08:43 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good luck and best wishes for you and your family. My first term is up in about 1.5 years and I don't know if I will reenlist or not, I like the job security/benefits but at the same time many other things the military does that I don't agree with.
Old 03-05-2008, 09:32 PM
10 Second Club

It's people like you that define the term hero.

Thank you for your service and if you ever need anything - just ask.

Old 03-05-2008, 10:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by NWDragRacer

Well said. Thanks for your service!
Old 03-06-2008, 12:33 AM
TECH Veteran

There is plenty out there that won't take you away so often from the family. You'll get used to it
Army is doing pretty good about letting retire before 25 years now espcially if you have had 2 deploys in the last four years alone not to mention your entire career.
Look at it this way: you and the wife can now stay at the military 5 star hotels anywhere for bout' $30 a night. Great way to take a road trip vacation

John got cut on re-up to 5 years to the 20 year mark. He's done enough travel too and will leave July for Iraq. At least it will be his last deploy - since they wouldn't let him go to 25 years he had them write it up for one tour in the next four years...and it was last year he signed his last contract. Loopholes can work in your favor.
Old 03-06-2008, 07:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for serving!
Old 03-06-2008, 08:12 AM
10 Second Club

Thanks for laying your $hit on the line for us for all these years!!!! We all owe you....
Old 03-06-2008, 09:16 AM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have anouther friend doing the same thing. He is out soon. Not sure what he is going to do but sure he will figure it out

Congrats on making it!
Old 03-06-2008, 10:07 AM
Launching!

Congrats on your retirement decision! I am almost at my 11 year mark and it's already difficult to think about living civilian life after retirement. I have to been to the Middle East six times, but I wouldn't trade my experiences for anything.
Old 03-06-2008, 12:11 PM
11 Second Club

Congrats man, I know I would be nervous as well. I have only been in 8 years, And I wonder about it some times too.
Old 03-06-2008, 02:07 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for your service defending our way of life. I hope everything works out well for you!!

Old 03-06-2008, 03:20 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Went through the same thing in 1992.. best thing I have ever did was retire. I loved the Navy for the most part. My last command was what really done me in. Served in the 1st Gulf War and couple of other "conflicts". In 1992, I was a single parent with 2 teenage children. Just could see leaving them yet again.

But I do love the 1st of each month; Uncle Sam has never forgotten me - yet.

Good Luck and like already said many time thanks for serving our great country.

David - YNC(SW) retired
Old 03-06-2008, 08:35 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by NWDragRacer

I agree, nice job and thank you. I only lasted 4 years.
Old 03-06-2008, 09:05 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Old 03-06-2008, 10:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for all the kind words. I truely appreciate it. For those that are serving or have served thank you from the bottom of my heart. At some point in my career someone just like you inspired me to carry on. For those that have never served you obviously understand freedom isn't free and that is all any Soldier, Sailor, Marine or Airman expects as gratitude.
Old 03-21-2008, 09:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Default Updates

I found out today that the Army has decided to let me retire. My last day of putting on the uniform will be November 30th and I will be a full fledged civilian on March 1st 2009. One the the greatest and saddest days of my life is today. I found out I can leave but at the same time I'm kinda sad to leave the "other" woman. My wife has stood by me through some insane times, happy times, sad times and times where the future was very uncertain, at least my future. She is happy and at the end of the day that is all that matters. I am proud to say that I am a soldier and I really don't know how it will be when I have to say I used to be a soldier but everything will work out and I'll move on. Thanks for all the kind words from everyone. I didn't want to start a knew thread so I just resurrected this one from the dead.
Old 03-21-2008, 09:12 PM
T is for Towing not Turbo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good luck to ya man! I've been in 8 and a half and got 2 left, but after that I'm done. I just don't think I could do another 10 years of this stuff, just not the life for me.

Brian
Old 03-21-2008, 11:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I will hit my 15-year mark in May, and will be re-enlisting for the last time. I'm definitely jealous of you, and I can't wait 'till I can get my DD214. I count my time left in PT tests; I only got 4 left that I have to pass. After that, well that 5th one I think I might just run one lap around the track, muster up a push-up or two and tell them to go to hell. LOL

I'm in a little different situation where my wife is almost done w/ her Master's degree. So once I'm done, I want to make sure we're settled in so that she can work on her career for once. I might just try my hand at being a house-Dad for a while 'till that drives me crazy.

Just think though Manalishi, now YOU can be one of those old crusty retirees. You can soon be officially entitled to a shopping cart at the shoppette (I swear they're the only ones that use 'em). You can come by once a week there and empty out one of the liquer shelves into that shopping cart, drive slow on base pissing everyone off, and buy gas a gallon at a time on base holding up the lines.
Old 03-22-2008, 12:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

So, where's home? You know, that place you'll be living when you're a civilian.
Old 03-22-2008, 02:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Crisisman
So, where's home? You know, that place you'll be living when you're a civilian.
I'll be staying here in Washington unless the wife's job asks her to move. Tired of moving around and she wants to have her career now. Can't say that I blame her. She has given up enough because of the army so its her turn now.

Quick Reply: The Final Step.