LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

future plans...and some help with a header question please

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 03:26 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default future plans...and some help with a header question please

well i have a mod plan for this car...in a few months when i get the money saved i plan on getting:

edelbrock cam (#2108) 286/286, Lift .525/.525
1.6 roller rockers
52mm throttle body (edelbrock #3809)
performer heads (edelbrock 61909)
performer rpm intake manifold (edelbrock 7107)
new pushrods....gaskets...timing chain...etc...

I would like to do the long tubes but like i said i want to keep the cats so i can still get inspected....i guess ill just get 2 universal cats and weld them on the end of the headers before the X pipe...then have the O2 sensors in place and such...how much of a difference would the headers make? is it pointless to do all this stuff without the headers?

does this sound like a good plan? im at 254rwhp/288rwtq right now...how much extra power am I gonna be lookin at?
Old 03-07-2008, 03:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Headers will make a pretty big difference in performance on a built motor, but i dont think you can pass a visual inspection with longtubes even with cats. i have longubes on my car but dont have any kind of emissions testing in my area so im not too sure about the tests.

Also, i think you would be better off getting your stock heads ported by someone like lloyd elliot or A.I., than buy the edelbrocks. also what are the plans for the car because that cam sounds huge for street use.
Old 03-07-2008, 04:11 PM
Staging Lane

well the thing with the edelbrock heads is that i can get them at a great price right now...and i am on kindof a budget with this.

i plan on the car being only street, i need to the be street drivable..according to edelbrock...the cam is supposed to be mild...what do you recommend?

the modifications my car currently has in place are:
k & n cold air
airfoil
40 series muffler
hypertech power tuning
160 degree thermostat
K&n injectors

like i said im throwing down 254hp and 288 tq on the dyno right now....with what i have in place, with the headers be a big diffrence? im just wondering because i need to know whether i should go ahead and throw down the cash for the headers or just save that money and get that whole package. But i dont want be buy all that stuff and it suck because its being choked by the stock manifolds, then have to get the headers anyways.
Old 03-07-2008, 04:34 PM
11 Second Club

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts

Edelbrock heads are a waste of money no matter how cheap, expect little gains like 10-20hp max. Same deal for that manifold, expect <5hp. That cam is no good either, LT1's dont like single pattern duration cams too much, and it hasnt exactly made a name for itself. If you went with an LE1 package for like $1200 or whatever they run I'm confident you would put down significantly higher numbers and run wayyyy faster than you would with any edelbrock junk. The stock throttle body and manifold can support alot of power and when people go with nice head setups they have the stock manifold ported out which will yield much better gains than the edelbrock manifold. By your numbers I assume your Automatic and you might wanna get the right gears and stall converter before you think about tearing into the motor because you wont have much of a car without them first. With those listed mods (edelbrock heads, manifold, cam) etc. on stock stall and gears I wouldnt expect to break out of the 13's for all of that money.

Last edited by StealthFormula; 03-07-2008 at 04:40 PM.
Old 03-07-2008, 04:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

im saving up for a stall and gears right now before i even think about doing a cam.
Old 03-07-2008, 04:49 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by IronOutlaw
im saving up for a stall and gears right now before i even think about doing a cam.
good man. I was an idiot and went the cam route first and the car drove like crap and had nowhere near the ***** it now has.
Old 03-07-2008, 04:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

i almost decided to go cam first but heard how much its sucks driving it. but how i love the sound of a loping cam.
Old 03-07-2008, 07:36 PM
Staging Lane

nah guys its a 6speed. it has 120,000 miles on it and my dyno showed its running pretty rich also.

stealthformula: can u give me some suggestions? like a specific LT1 head/cam combo that you know will make good power....also this is going to be an everyday driver car. also, is there anything else I should do while i have the motor torn down that?

also, do you know of any shops or places that will do the work to my manifold?

im just trying to get as much information as i can before i go do this, i dont want to regret it or find out anything i shouldve known beforehand that wouldve been helpful.
Old 03-07-2008, 11:00 PM
11 Second Club

I would look at eportworks.com and advancedinduction.com and check out what they have to offer. Advanced Induction has intake porting on their website.
Old 03-08-2008, 08:43 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

anything by AI and Loyed are amazing lol

Quick Reply: future plans...and some help with a header question please