Military Hotrod Club For our members in the Armed Forces

The greatest day of my military career is today!

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 12:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default The greatest day of my military career is today!

Yes, a pun on the thread of a similar title. No, I'm not getting out yet!

I got orders to Key West!!

Been at Mountain Home AFB for over 3 years. It's my first duty station, and this place blows HARD. People keep telling me, "It's what you make of it!". Well, you CAN'T POLISH A TURD!

I've been camping, hiking, snowboarding, and traveled up and down in this state. Nobody can tell me that I didn't TRY to like it. Boise isn't bad, but it's 45 minutes away and isn't that great either. Most of Idaho is more like Mountain Home anyway.

Goodbye to MHAFB in 3 months!
Old 03-10-2008, 03:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Key West, thats awesome!!!
Old 03-10-2008, 08:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

To each thier own...I was at Mountain Home for 4 years, and I liked it. As a matter of fact, I hope to be going back.

Jack
Old 03-10-2008, 08:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by babydeuce
To each thier own...I was at Mountain Home for 4 years, and I liked it. As a matter of fact, I hope to be going back.

Jack
I'm sure that Mountain Home is hurting for people that actually like it. You'll have no trouble going back, I hope.

It also depends on where you work, too. I'm in the air control squadron - saw desert twice in two years, one ONE tasking, and 3x field deployments a year for three years. When I say field deployment, I'm talking entire ABEs with up to 2 DRs. The base exercises have NOTHING on the frequency or intensity to which our squadron trains and deploys to. This is why our squadron doesn't play in base ex's or ORIs - we have our own timeline that IMO is more strenuous than the rest of MHAFB.

By PCS'ing to Key West, I'll be stepping out of the ACS world for my career field. No longer will I deploy over Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years, and my birthday. I've missed three holiday seasons already!

The whole thing was made worse by calling "Mountain Home" my home - a place where I never felt like I belonged.
Old 03-10-2008, 09:22 PM
TECH Resident

congrats man. i have a friend there and he says it sucks something fierce!!
Old 03-10-2008, 09:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2002t/a06
congrats man. i have a friend there and he says it sucks something fierce!!
Thanks! Yeah, it looks ALL the way out there on the map. Let me tell you something, though. MHAFB was nothing spectacular, and MHAFB is an ACC base. The ops tempo of an ACS is quick, and where there are fellow 1C5s on ACC bases, there is an ACS. Not so much with the Navy!

Truth be told, I really wanted to PCS to your base, Luke. Beggars can't be choosers though. Trade ya?
Old 03-10-2008, 09:29 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by NightWindDriftr
Thanks! Yeah, it looks ALL the way out there on the map. Let me tell you something, though. MHAFB was nothing spectacular, and MHAFB is an ACC base. The ops tempo of an ACS is quick, and where there are fellow 1C5s on ACC bases, there is an ACS. Not so much with the Navy!

Truth be told, I really wanted to PCS to your base, Luke. Beggars can't be choosers though. Trade ya?
lol haha. i prolly would trade you, this base sucks for my afsc! theres not a "real" hospital. just clinics and ****.
Old 03-10-2008, 09:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

lol haha. i prolly would trade you, this base sucks for my afsc! theres not a "real" hospital. just clinics and ****.
My AFSC is awesome at Luke - all instructors and no deploying!
Old 03-10-2008, 10:00 PM
TECH Resident

My AFSC is awesome at Luke - all instructors and no deploying!
whats your afsc?? crew chief? weapons?

at least you gettin out of MH afb. like i said before my friend absolutely HATES it there.

im not looking forward to my first summer here
Old 03-11-2008, 02:04 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I'm sure that Mountain Home is hurting for people that actually like it. You'll have no trouble going back, I hope.

It also depends on where you work, too. I'm in the air control squadron - saw desert twice in two years, one ONE tasking, and 3x field deployments a year for three years. When I say field deployment, I'm talking entire ABEs with up to 2 DRs. The base exercises have NOTHING on the frequency or intensity to which our squadron trains and deploys to. This is why our squadron doesn't play in base ex's or ORIs - we have our own timeline that IMO is more strenuous than the rest of MHAFB.

By PCS'ing to Key West, I'll be stepping out of the ACS world for my career field. No longer will I deploy over Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years, and my birthday. I've missed three holiday seasons already!

The whole thing was made worse by calling "Mountain Home" my home - a place where I never felt like I belonged.
I was F-15 avionics backshop in the 366th. I am married with kids too, so that may make a difference in why I liked it there. Of coarse, lets look at where I have been....Cannon, Mountain Home, and currently Sheppard.....hmmmmm, which would you prefer?

Jack
Old 03-11-2008, 08:29 AM
TECH Resident

I was F-15 avionics backshop in the 366th. I am married with kids too, so that may make a difference in why I liked it there. Of coarse, lets look at where I have been....Cannon, Mountain Home, and currently Sheppard.....hmmmmm, which would you prefer?

Jack
sheppard
Old 03-11-2008, 04:04 PM
Teching In

at least you gettin out of MH afb. like i said before my friend absolutely HATES it there.

I'm weapons and I'd pretty much kill to go there.

I haven't heard too many people say they'd like to stay/go to my base (Shaw).
Old 03-11-2008, 05:16 PM
Teching In

Funny, I just took a road trip down to Key West. I would NOT want to live there. No way. Everything is super expensive, traffic SUCKS to say the least unless you like to drive 25 mph. Sooo many f'kin tourists OMG. Good Luck man. I'll take where I'm at, Tyndall, any day over that hole.
Old 03-11-2008, 05:51 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I personally would rather be at Mountain Home than Key West as well (and yes, I have been to both before).

Once you get past that Key West is tropical and someplace you might want to go on vacation, you'll realize that the cost of living/housing is attrocious, gas is crazy expensive as well, traffic is terrible, and there are more there than almost anywhere in the U.S.

Having traveled abroad, and seen most U.S. Air Force bases, (and several others abroad and non Air Force bases in the US and abroad), I can tell you from experience that Mountain Home is actually pretty nice. I am at McGuire in NJ, and I would rather be almost any other base in the country than it (except maybe Minot or Offet).

People complain a lot about where they are stationed because they get bored with the scenery, or aren't used to the lifestyle that the state provides, but after all of that is taken out of the picture, and you look at what is really important like housing, the people, the school systems if you have a family, and the accomidations that the base provides, most bases are not bad at all, and I would be more than happy to be stationed at most.

Last edited by CALL911; 03-11-2008 at 05:58 PM.
Old 03-11-2008, 07:52 PM
Teching In

South Carolina was ranked dead freakin last in a recent poll for education system. Yay!
Old 03-11-2008, 08:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

1C5 - aerospace control and warning systems is the AFSC job title. Specifically, I manage data links between C2 units and the CRC, and operate the radar.

Jack
I have an MSgt friend who wanted to come BACK to MHAFB after doing a short at Korea. He wanted to continue to raise his kids in the area. Not a bad idea.

Originally Posted by BADMFR
Funny, I just took a road trip down to Key West. I would NOT want to live there. No way. Everything is super expensive, traffic SUCKS to say the least unless you like to drive 25 mph. Sooo many f'kin tourists OMG. Good Luck man. I'll take where I'm at, Tyndall, any day over that hole.
I drive 25mph on American Legion Blvd outside my shitty apartment every day. Mountain Home seriously looks like it started as a truck stop. I would also rather go to Tyndall. That's at the top of my list, right under Luke. But again, I'd take Key West over MHAFB.

Originally Posted by CALL911
I personally would rather be at Mountain Home than Key West as well (and yes, I have been to both before).
Depends on your job. Mountain Home is more than a location for me - it means I'm at an ACS, and routinely live in either Iraq desert or Idaho desert.

Once you get past that Key West is tropical and someplace you might want to go on vacation, you'll realize that the cost of living/housing is attrocious, gas is crazy expensive as well, traffic is terrible, and there are more there than almost anywhere in the U.S.
I know exactly what you mean by this. At least people want to vacation in KW. If you want to vacation at MH, you might want to consider putting down the crack pipe! Hopefully, BAH or COLA can even out the cost of living. We all know how well that works out, but I'm hoping.

Having traveled abroad, and seen most U.S. Air Force bases, (and several others abroad and non Air Force bases in the US and abroad), I can tell you from experience that Mountain Home is actually pretty nice. I am at McGuire in NJ, and I would rather be almost any other base in the country than it (except maybe Minot or Offet).
I've been to Misawa and Yokota. Seen Luke, Nellis, Hill, Keesler, Tyndall, and obviously Lackland. Mountain Home is not nice IMO. It's clean, but nowhere near the likes of "nice".

People complain a lot about where they are stationed because they get bored with the scenery, or aren't used to the lifestyle that the state provides, but after all of that is taken out of the picture, and you look at what is really important like housing, the people, the school systems if you have a family, and the accomidations that the base provides, most bases are not bad at all, and I would be more than happy to be stationed at most.
I hear ya. Give me a chance though - this scenary has sucked since day one, I've tried the lifestyle, I've been all the way up north to Coeur d'Alene.

I'm not interested in a house ATM, the people are the same people you'd find anywhere else, I'm married with no kids (but plan on it!), and unless you think eating spaghetti at the Club and then going to the frame shop for an awesome lesson in why oak is better than plywood, then this base doesn't accomodate me very well.

I didn't cite the typical reasons why people hate their bases: people, food, etc. Really, I hated this place from the start and I KNOW the AF has better bases.
Old 03-15-2008, 04:50 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm at Charleston AFB and like it.
Old 03-16-2008, 01:27 AM
TECH Veteran

You COuld be at Holloman..

I like this place but 76.193756% say it sucks..

THe thing to remember is the BEST base is the one you just came from and the one you're going to..

I just re enlisted officially on Friday.. For someone to do that at Holloman is odd..
Old 03-16-2008, 08:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Holloman lol... I did 3 years at Cannon, let's not talk about bad A buddy of mine just went to MH from Cannon and he loves it, except he's worked like a month and a half straight of 12's Key West should be good!
Old 03-17-2008, 12:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by bayer-z28
You COuld be at Holloman..

I like this place but 76.193756% say it sucks..

THe thing to remember is the BEST base is the one you just came from and the one you're going to..

I just re enlisted officially on Friday.. For someone to do that at Holloman is odd..
My wife actually digs the idea of New Mexico. I know what's up down there and I don't like the idea, but she's into the scenary and culture and at least she would like it.

I don't think MHAFB is the worst base in the AF; I say it all the time but only out of spite. I'm well aware of the existence of Minot, Offutt, and Cannon. Based on what I've been told of Minot (never been) I've always called MHAFB the "Minot of the West".

Quick Reply: The greatest day of my military career is today!