Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

t56 hard to shift...

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 04:47 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default t56 hard to shift...

Its hard to shift from 1-2 under hard acceleration. The higher rpm i shift at the harder it is to put in second. it literally just wont go into gear until the rpms drop a bit. Its like it hits a wall or something then breaks through. 3rd and 4th gear will grind if shifted hard. It also makes a rattling sound under hard acceleration in all gears. Normal, slow driving everything is fine. could the tranny mounts possibly be loose or worn out and causing the rattling and shift problems? I recently changed the fluid and it made no difference. Im thinking the synchros might also be worn out. my autoshop teacher drove the car and he said everything felt good but he didnt know waht the rattling sound was. I think my trans is about on its way out.
Old 03-12-2008, 06:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Mine does the same thing under hard acceleration.
Old 03-12-2008, 09:49 PM
Staging Lane

Check the easy stuff first--motor/trans mounts, clutch fluid reservoir color (bleed it if it's dark/black). The rattling could be a loose exhaust heat shield so check to see if a screw or two is missing (my passenger side one near the header collector had one missing and made a nasty "metal-on-metal" noise which freaked me out after my clutch install before I realized it was). Since yours is a 98, it could also be faulty clutch master/slave cylinders as well.

Last edited by -LS1-; 03-12-2008 at 09:50 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 03-12-2008, 10:04 PM
Launching!

i replaced everything even the trans. i had the exact same problem almost word for word. it was a combination of the clutch dragging and the master cylinder. i got a different stock master and made it adjustable. and poof made shifting a breeze but my clutch was still dragging. the clutch turned out to be a different problem in itself. first thing i tried when i fixed it i full throttle shifted 1st into 2nd for the first time ever since i had the car and it was one of the best feelings in the world
Old 03-12-2008, 10:07 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds like a hydralic related problem! try bleeding the complete clutch system, you should feel a differance! or try changing the tranny fluid! start off with non synthetic dexIII fluid and you can possibly also do the drill mod too, that helped me out!
Old 03-13-2008, 12:39 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

seems like hydraulics is the word of the month.

Old fluid tends to get cooked with higher rpm running will exhibit these kind of symptoms. If you haven't done the drill mod, the 2-3 and 3-4 shift will feel like crap on a spirited run, not to mention that you will wreck your syncros.

Change to Dot 4 synthetic, insulate the hydraulic line with heater hose + some heat wrap like header wrap or aluminum tape then make sure there is no air in the system. Should help with shifting as long as you haven't wrecked the internals of the transmission.
Old 03-13-2008, 10:32 AM
TECH Regular

is the drill mod and bleeding the clutch hydraulics system hard to? Im a young guy and ive never done anything like this before.
Old 03-13-2008, 02:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

mine did this too, after i had new master w/ drill mod its perfect now =)
Old 03-15-2008, 09:48 PM
TECH Regular

i found a guy that can do this for me but he says i dont need a new master cylinder? Will the drill mod fix my problem without getting a new master cylinder?
Old 07-03-2008, 07:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

NO, didnt work for me

Quick Reply: t56 hard to shift...