General Maintenance & Repairs Leaks | Squeaks | Clunks | Rattles | Grinds

Changing DRL/Turn signal housing today

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2008, 02:05 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changing DRL/Turn signal housing today

Hey guys. Just need some quick advice from somone who may have done this before. I did a search and did find some info but most of it just involves changing the DRL/Turn signal bulbs. Unfortunately my bulbs have been blowing out routinely and now the bulb connection is corroded to the point new bulbs dont work anymore. So I am changing the housing and connectors tonight.

What is the BEST (gives the most room) way to get the housing out without taking the front clip off. Thru the bottom? Or maybe top? Do the TransAms have the trap door in front of the wheel?

Also, I may be trying to seal the housing better. Any1 have success making these lamps more waterproof? Should I throw a dessicant from a medicine bottle in there =b

Just want to know my best options. Thanks!
Old 03-22-2008, 05:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

good question. Bump
Old 03-22-2008, 09:03 PM
On The Tree

Update: Went ahead and installed the new lamp as is. There is small foam 'gasket' that is different from my original lamp. I figured I'd give it a try. Whats the worse that can happen...bulb burns out..lol.

And if you have skinny arms like me you can change this with just the plastic piece from around the headlights removed. It is a very tight space to work in especially when trying to strip wires and crimp and seal em' etc., but possible.
FYI, after I installed the new lamp and bulb..it still didn't work. Turns out my left rear tail lamp was out too lol. Might want to check that before you go pullin **** apart =b Those are easy to replace though!
Old 03-23-2008, 07:39 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I just picked up a new plug from autozone last night for about $8, gonna install it this morning. I pulled the whole headlight assy out just to make things easier. I plan on using the extra wire that came with the plug so it will be easier to change the bulb in the future, by just reaching through the vent under the turn signal.

My problem now is that my light assy is discolored from when the socket had it's melt down.
Old 03-23-2008, 12:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Update. Lens is fubar so im replacing it with some plexi. Going to paint the inside of the housing with dupont chrome. pics to come
Old 03-24-2008, 02:04 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by LastHawk
Update: Went ahead and installed the new lamp as is. There is small foam 'gasket' that is different from my original lamp. I figured I'd give it a try. Whats the worse that can happen...bulb burns out..lol.

And if you have skinny arms like me you can change this with just the plastic piece from around the headlights removed. It is a very tight space to work in especially when trying to strip wires and crimp and seal em' etc., but possible.
FYI, after I installed the new lamp and bulb..it still didn't work. Turns out my left rear tail lamp was out too lol. Might want to check that before you go pullin **** apart =b Those are easy to replace though!
Funny. the same thing happened to me not to long ago...

front passenger turn signal Driving light went out.. put new bulb/plug and still nothing.. found out that the tail light on that side was out.. fixed all the problems haha.
Old 04-18-2008, 07:48 AM
On The Tree

And what do you know...

Left turn signal out again. This is just starting to get ridiculous...

32K for a car and you can't get reliable window or turn signal operation.

I guess I expect too much from GM...
Old 04-18-2008, 04:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Default T/s Dtrl Blues!

I'm with you , replaced bulbs, bulbs, bulbs, then bought autozone sockets, bulbs, bulb grease that was good for a month or so checked bulbs now "grease" is hardened chucks of? Now have no lights up front guess my lamp housings are leaking - whats that part number for new T/A lamp housings? anyone? Buehler? then I'll do lamps and sockets again
I hate to say it but Ive had more B/S electrical problems with this car, poor design GM!
Old 04-30-2008, 05:34 PM
Launching!

Yeah, anybody know. I'm in the same boat as you. I'm looking to replace the socket. Also, does it seem that water gets in to the housing too easily or is just me? I don't see any visible cracks but for some reason water keeps on getting in.
Old 05-17-2008, 03:25 PM
TECH Resident

I changed out my DRls two days ago, I jacked the car up , removed both front tires and removed the wheelwell panel infront of the front tires and that basically gives you pretty easy access to the whole DRL housing there are two screws on it that you take out and you can take the whole housing out through the top of where sits, just unscrew the lightbulb housing take that out, then pull the plastic housing out through the top of the bracket its in if you want to clean the lens or change it or something.

Quick Reply: Changing DRL/Turn signal housing today