LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

93 z28, problem? Please help

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 02:46 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 93 z28, problem? Please help

I have a 93 z28 thats been sitting for a year with the tranny out. I removed the air filter and noticed it has thick black gunk on it. Im hopin its not piston rings. I removed the cat a couple of years back and it back fired like crazy, could that possibly back up through the intake, and leave black soote? The engine still seams to run fine with a good idle, i just didnt check the filter for about a year while i drove it, only put like 5000 miles the last year i drove it?
Old 03-17-2008, 03:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

whats the question?
Old 03-17-2008, 05:09 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 97badass
whats the question?
Could backfire back through the intake and cause my filter to be black, it didnt seem like oil, but it had been sitting for like a year. Im just hopin i aint fried the piston rings. it seems fine,but just wondering if a longtime backfire problem could do that.
Old 03-17-2008, 08:06 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Depends on what side the black crap was on. And if you've been having backfires, then maybe, but if you haven't noticed then you most likely haven't had any intake backfires.

It's comical you have a high-flow cat, and no cat, but Flowmasters
Old 03-19-2008, 03:54 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Formula350
Depends on what side the black crap was on. And if you've been having backfires, then maybe, but if you haven't noticed then you most likely haven't had any intake backfires.

It's comical you have a high-flow cat, and no cat, but Flowmasters
Yeah, i know. I did notice the backfires since they were literally large enough to illuminate my entire rearview mirror at night no joke. Im glad to hear that is a good posibility, but how likely?
Old 03-19-2008, 04:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

your piston rings should be fine. like formula350 said depends on which side the black ***** on try replacing the air filter could be mold could be carbon or soot from the backfire, or can even just be dirt from junk in the air. but for it being a year my guess would be mold or just dirt clean it or replace it. but yes it could be caused from the backfire
Old 03-19-2008, 04:03 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 97badass
your piston rings should be fine. like formula350 said depends on which side the black ***** on try replacing the air filter could be mold could be carbon or soot from the backfire, or can even just be dirt from junk in the air. but for it being a year my guess would be mold or just dirt clean it or replace it. but yes it could be caused from the backfire
thamks alot man, it was on the side going to the intake. The other side was clean. Took forever to clean the damn filter.
Old 04-24-2008, 11:08 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by erickeown
Could backfire back through the intake and cause my filter to be black, it didnt seem like oil, but it had been sitting for like a year. Im just hopin i aint fried the piston rings. it seems fine,but just wondering if a longtime backfire problem could do that.
its probably cause your a dumb+ss... couldnt find out whats wrong in a magazine? backfire through the intake normally occurs when a valve is not closed all the way when the spark plug ingnites.. hence being in your airfilter it will be the intake valve... they can backfire for a few reasons, valves to tight, stems slightly bent, or your timing could be off.... those shell comercials with the sludge build up.. that could be it 2.. just things to think into...
Old 04-25-2008, 12:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by boosted92
its probably cause your a dumb+ss... couldnt find out whats wrong in a magazine? backfire through the intake normally occurs when a valve is not closed all the way when the spark plug ingnites.. hence being in your airfilter it will be the intake valve... they can backfire for a few reasons, valves to tight, stems slightly bent, or your timing could be off.... those shell comercials with the sludge build up.. that could be it 2.. just things to think into...
Who pissed in your cereal?

Anyways, to the OP:
I don't remember replying to this thread lol So on that note...

The black gunk is on the throttle body or the air filter? If air filter, inside or outside of it? Outside: If it's a K&N it's just how they get. Inside: I don't know lol That's a bit strange...

If it's in the TB, then it's from the PCV most likely. TBs just get like that :\ The intake is usually worse.

The backfire w/o a cat could be due to less back pressure, but I just can't see, with how crappy a Flowmaster flows, not creating enough back pressure.