LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Fuel all over engine bay and under car!

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 10:25 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel all over engine bay and under car!

Today I cranked my car and fuel shot out of the fuel rails around the injectors and sprayed about a half gallon of fuel into my engine bay and under the car. Any ideas? I have recently assembled this car/engine and it has not run correctly since, so some not on right is not out of the question. I have all of my injector o rings in place btw.
Old 03-17-2008, 10:59 AM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Check and make sure none of the O-rings are not cut and that all the clips are in place.

Both of those will cause you problems
Old 03-17-2008, 11:03 AM
On The Tree

One o ring blew last night but I changed it. I dont have the clips in place but I have never used them before when I have removed the injectors.
Old 03-17-2008, 12:26 PM
Launching!

I dont really know much about the problem you're having...but it would seem to me that you should try putting the clips on and see if that fixes your problems, maybe?
Old 03-17-2008, 12:33 PM
On The Tree

The clips dont do ****! You dont need the clips at all. The only thing they do is hold the injectors in the rail as you remove it. Gonna try another set of injectors, some new o rings and some lube on them. I think I have something blocking fuel though for this much to come out... After I think about it though like 40 lbs of pressure is a pretty good bit and fuel seems like it would blow everywhere if you had a leak....
damnit I hate car troubles. I am trying to drive this car to work today at 4:00 but dosent look like thats gonna happen.
Old 03-17-2008, 02:38 PM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by B-Rad420
The clips dont do ****! You dont need the clips at all. The only thing they do is hold the injectors in the rail as you remove it. Gonna try another set of injectors, some new o rings and some lube on them. I think I have something blocking fuel though for this much to come out... After I think about it though like 40 lbs of pressure is a pretty good bit and fuel seems like it would blow everywhere if you had a leak....
damnit I hate car troubles. I am trying to drive this car to work today at 4:00 but dosent look like thats gonna happen.

You can talk to that box of rocks next to you(its a little smarter) while your car is burning to the ground, or you can go out and put the clips back on.

The clips hold the injectors to the rails so the Fuel pressure does not push them out. They will stay in there for a while with out them but not forever.

I Just had a customer with your thinking. He was just sure of your thinking and it was very easy to prove him wrong as we started the car and after a few minute it popped two injectors out of the rail and fuel was spraying every where.

So you and your box of rocks can watch your car burn or you might want to install the clips that hold the injectoers to the pressure side of the rails.

Your choice.
Old 03-17-2008, 03:16 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by TwoFast4Lv
You can talk to that box of rocks next to you(its a little smarter) while your car is burning to the ground, or you can go out and put the clips back on.

The clips hold the injectors to the rails so the Fuel pressure does not push them out. They will stay in there for a while with out them but not forever.

I Just had a customer with your thinking. He was just sure of your thinking and it was very easy to prove him wrong as we started the car and after a few minute it popped two injectors out of the rail and fuel was spraying every where.

So you and your box of rocks can watch your car burn or you might want to install the clips that hold the injectoers to the pressure side of the rails.

Your choice.
Dude, come on how you gonna say a box of rocks is smarter than me.
So, those 4 bolts dont hold the rails down which holds the injectors in? How did they pop out??? WTF, did they shrink down or something cause I cant move mine up and down any. Did he not install the injector spacers which fit above the lower o ring? Probally not if the injectors poped out. All I know is that I drove this car in the past for almost a year without them on it and everything was fine.
Old 03-17-2008, 03:20 PM
On The Tree

I also just let the car idle for a few minuites and the injectors sure didnt pop out. All I did was get new o rings, my old ones were torn/crimped because I didnt lube them or didnt do it enough.
Old 03-17-2008, 03:22 PM
hashtagBMW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why do you post when your just going to argue with people? You need the clips.

With that mindset you might as well take a few injectors off the rail, you dont need them.

But, your leaking problem seriously sounds like an o-ring dilema.
Old 03-17-2008, 03:26 PM
On The Tree

I dont like being called dumb as a box of rocks. I did some searching and read they are not needed....many times. Also drove my OWN car and didnt need them.
Old 03-17-2008, 03:32 PM
hashtagBMW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ya did some searcing?

Show me what you came up with, im curious.
Old 03-17-2008, 03:33 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by MIGHTYMOUSE
toss the clips.. the injectors arent going anywhere.. mine had been fine for a few years now without them
Just an example...
This guys car runs low 9's and he drove to the LSX Shootout and drove back. Also had his car on the cover of GMHTP I belevie or at least in it.
Old 03-17-2008, 03:36 PM
On The Tree

Even earlier when the fuel leaked everywhere 2 times the injectors were still in place. I just had torn o rings as now it dosent leak at all.
Old 03-17-2008, 06:36 PM
On The Tree

Exclamation

Originally Posted by B-Rad420
1) chill out... you can't talk like an authority with absolute knowledge and expect anyone to give you feedback in the future.

2) Clips do NOT "just" hold the injectors in place during installation. If you havn't realized by now I'll spell it out for you... the LT1 injector bungs do NOT "bottom out"... they are beveled, and use a soft o-ring to seal under compression.

What's that mean? it means that anytime you remove the injectors, the reused orings will not nessesarily seat at the same location, probably lower. What "may" have passed for a tight seal without injectors in the past, will NOT nessesarily mean the older/harder/compressed/nicked o-rings will seal as tight in the bevel and may move around more once the engine starts.

How do I know? Because I converted my LT1 injectors to mustang EV1 bodied injectors (skinny LS1 style) and had the same problem. There was no place to engauge the clips, and listening to internet bench racers I thought it was fine without them. Things were good until one injector popped out and fuel was puddling between the intake and heads. Fixed the problem with clips "adjusted" to fit on the bung, pushing the injectors upwards.

REplacing it with stock injectors, with new o-rings, resulted in the the same situation.... after a few miles injector #1 popped out and coated a driveway in fuel.

No matter what injectors you run, you need clips to keep the injectors in the rail... the LT1's beveled bungs allow injectors to wiggle down and out of the rail.

And yes, this leads to HUGE amounts of fuel because it's a large leak from the pressurized rails, NOT from the bottom of an injector spraying into the engine bay... clip-less engines are a definite fire hazard.
Old 03-17-2008, 06:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have fat style SVOs and I actually had to cut my own groove in the injectors for my clips to fit. I wasn't about to leave them out.
Old 03-17-2008, 10:23 PM
On The Tree

Check out this thread and the replies http://www.camaroz28.com/forums/show...injector+clips Actually my injectors do move up and down. I still dont think that they can be popped out though without the fuel rail loosening or the injectors wearing down from moving around to where they can slide down further. Until I can find some clips for free I will drive with out them as I have in the past.
Here's another http://www.camaroz28.com/forums/show...injector+clips
Old 03-17-2008, 11:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

if they didnt need clips, they would have designed them without, end of story...
Old 03-17-2008, 11:58 PM
On The Tree

Maybe. I read that all the clips do is hold the injectors in when you pull the rails off so fuel does not drip everywhere. I found this info by searching so I tried it out myself with no harm a few years back. They also of course keep the injectors from moving up and down and creating different spray patterns possibly, but I dont care I just want a car to drive again. I havent had my own car in over a month and I have a full time job. I also havent driven this car in several years and am totally broke (until payday, wendsday) lol so I cant really afford 8 or 11 or 20 dollars for injector clips unless I really need them. I also found my number 5 and 7 plug wires crossed. That solved my backfiring problem hopefully. Now just to do the valve lash one more time while its running to get it in check. Cant wait. Gonna see how this b body short block runs with alum heads and 1.6 rockers with hotcam springs
Old 03-18-2008, 12:05 AM
On The Tree

I am so happy I get to drive the car in the morning now that I found the wires crossed Hope everything goes good. Did everything by myself with no help including removal of engine through bottom and install, in an open carport in winter.
Havent driven anything like this in years or anything with a manual, gonna be so much fun daily driving this now
Old 03-18-2008, 12:11 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SLawson86
if they didnt need clips, they would have designed them without, end of story...
What about the air pump, the egr system, the stock air silencer/donkey dong on the intake, the stock air box with all its baffles, this is just a few I thought of even though most are not super important like something such as fuel. But just because a factory designed it dosent always mean something to me. Time and research is what matters to me. The car has been out way longer that the amount of time it took to design all of it. Lots of time for changes/improvments and finding out you dont need certain things anymore. Brad