General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

dirty power steering fluid. how to fix?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 04:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dirty power steering fluid. how to fix?

hey, so ive been quoted that i have dirty powersteering fluid. how do i change it? ive never done this before. thanks. does it need flushing?
Old 03-17-2008, 04:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

I would like to know also.....
Old 03-17-2008, 04:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

there are a couple of ways.. i'll tell you the easiest first.

get a turkey baster, or siphon pump and suck the reservoir dry... then refill with fresh fluid... 1 or 2 days later, repeat, then keep repeating until the stuff looks clean.

the better way is to disconnect the lines... run the input line into a clean container of fluid (like a small bucket with several quarts in it.. 6 or so.. then run the return line into another empty bucket... start the car and idle it until the return line is spewing clean fluid. then reconnect lines and top off.
Old 03-17-2008, 04:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by BadGTho

get a turkey baster, or siphon pump and suck the reservoir dry... then refill with fresh fluid... 1 or 2 days later, repeat, then keep repeating until the stuff looks clean.

the better way is to disconnect the lines... run the input line into a clean container of fluid (like a small bucket with several quarts in it.. 6 or so.. then run the return line into another empty bucket... start the car and idle it until the return line is spewing clean fluid. then reconnect lines and top off.
Yeah..thought about the syringe/baster method....might do my brake fluid again, using this method....thanx for the input man.
Old 03-17-2008, 04:29 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by BadGTho

THAT IS REAL CLOSE TO HOW WE DO IT, AT A DEALERSHIP
Old 03-17-2008, 05:21 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the pump has the fluid gravity feed to it that is why the resoirvoir is directly on top, if you put the input line in a bucket it will not suck the fluid! the way i did it was have the return line into a container if its not a container it will shoot all over the place, then i i closed the other end that the return line connects to (the resirvoir) and i topped off and started it wthout the cap, i ran it right before it ran dry! try not to run it dry, if it runs dry you will get air in the rack and that will be a bitch to get rid of. but the easiest method is to just suck it out the resoirvoir and continue the cycle for a few days
Old 03-17-2008, 05:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Nickstock98t/a
hey, so ive been quoted that i have dirty powersteering fluid. how do i change it? ive never done this before. thanks. does it need flushing?
What does the dirty PS fluid look like? I was told that it is supposed to look like crapwater.
Old 03-17-2008, 06:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by SparkyJJO
What does the dirty PS fluid look like? I was told that it is supposed to look like crapwater.
im not sure, buddy, ill check, but this what the dealership told me.
Old 03-17-2008, 06:14 PM
Launching!

If the power steering fluid is real black, or seems like it has some other crap floating in it, then replace it.

What we do is we have a portable little machine in what looks like a toolbox. It has two CLEAR hoses that go into the power steering reservoir. Inside the box is a pump, and two switches.

One switch sucks old fluid out into an empty container. The other switch pumps new fluid into the PS reservoir. We repeat the process of sucking and refilling continually until the fluid is very clean. After sucking and refilling we turn the wheel left and right a few times to cycle the fluid through the system, and try to get some more of the old crap back out.

That's pretty much it.