General LSX Automobile Discussion Non-technical LSX related topics.

buying car out of state on ebay

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 09:44 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default buying car out of state on ebay

what are some safe ways to purchase a car online concerning payment methods?

I got my eye on a car on ebay and the seller wants to do a wire transfer

I am aware of paypal but have never used it and I don't know how it works? - want to enlighten me?

also should I pay him outright, or try and work something out like paying him half, and then when I get proof that the car was shipped give him the other half?

what do you guys think?

I would like to hear from people who have done this, or are very familiar with this.

thanks

andrew
Old 03-18-2008, 10:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I dont think that buying a car off of Ebay is a bad thing. My friend bought his SS from a guy on Ebay but it was only a few hundred miles away. We drove up to see the car and after we looked it over and test drove it then he paid. I would highly recomend this process. Do not send money through a wire transfer. That is just asking to get screwed. There is no security for you and he could just take your money and run. Also it costs a percentage of what the transfer is for and can be very costly. Paypal will charge him a 3% fee but offers you buyer protection. To make a long story short I wouldnt buy it unless you can see it in person first.
Old 03-18-2008, 10:04 PM
Banned

Don't do a wire transfer. Thats as good as sending cash in an envelope.
How far away is it?
Old 03-18-2008, 10:15 PM
Launching!

I must chime in, I live in AZ and I bought my car from GA. Thats basically across the country. It cost 800 to ship and took 2 weeks to get. I had the car professionally inspected before getting it. I highly recommend doing that before buying. The way I did it as far as transferring money was we had a written contract faxed and signed by both parties with vin number on it, then I gave them half the money up front (deposited it into their bank account), then they sent the title next day air. Upon receipt I deposited the rest and had the car picked up from them. It worked out. There are some honest people out there. I probably won't do that again in the future, just because I really wish I could have seen it and driven it first. But I also wouldnt not recommend it. But definitely dont just blindly bid on an ebay unless you get someone to inspect it first.
Old 03-18-2008, 10:31 PM
TECH Resident

NO WIRE TRANSFER EVER..... I can't stress that enough.

It is hit and miss, most of the time you can't look at it before you buy it.

I've bought a camaro over ebay from a dealership, that I wasn't happy with

I've sold 3 motorcycles and 2 camaros without a problem.

TO buy something like that I would want a ton of pics and a video. And remember that you can walk away if you don't like it (bad feedback, but thats way better than some 10k car thats worthless) unless you ship it.

Pics
Running video
vin# for carfax (which isn't 100% like everyone thinks)
I've taken vin#s to GM and had them pull up the history which is interesting.
make sure it has a clear title.
Old 03-19-2008, 12:50 AM
TECH Addict

I got my car via Ebay sort of.......I saw the listing on Ebay, but once the dealer started the buying process they ended the auction so nobody could but it from under me. So the actual transaction was completed through the dealer like normal, not on Ebay.

As has already been said, do not do a wire transfer. If the seller wants a deposit, overnight him a check or money order after you win the auction.

Is this a private party or a dealer?
Old 03-19-2008, 01:45 AM
Launching!

I'd be iffy about that, especially being a wire transfer. Personally the only way I would buy a car is in person, or if I was in your situation, I would at least go look at the car in person first. Oh and BTW:

NEVER, EVER WIRE TRANSFER! It's not trackable at all and 9.9 times out of 10 its a scam. Only way I would do it is paypal or personal transaction. Honestly, I unless you've got your heart set on this particular car, try to find something local. Theres tons of F-body's out there. Hope this helps!
Old 03-19-2008, 02:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

i bought my car on ebay, it was from a dealer tho. sent them the check and had it shipped from tx to ca

best thing i ever did
Old 03-19-2008, 02:46 AM
Launching!

Raptor, I could understand in your case. You have one of the most desireable Fbods ever. There's a lot I would do for a SOM M6 WS6!
Old 03-19-2008, 03:01 AM
On The Tree

dont do a wire transfer. and also post up where it is, someone on here might be local to the car your wanting and would be more than happy to go check it out for you.
Old 03-19-2008, 06:13 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have sold two cars to buyers that lived out of state and both times my bank told me that the safest way (other than cash) is a wire transfer. Someone above said there is not a paper trail, that is incorrect, I still have the paperwork at home.

Anytime you are spending a lot of money and you are not going to meet someone face to face prior to sending money I would pay to have a background check done on them...make sure you have their full name, home and work addresses, and home and work phone numbers. I also wrote up a bill of sale that each of us signed prior to the money being send and again when the car was picked up.
Old 03-19-2008, 07:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

never a wire transfer.

send a deposit via paypal, pay the rest when you get there.
Old 03-19-2008, 07:56 AM
Teching In

Default i agree, NO WIRE TRANSFER

before i got my SS, i bought a vette off ebay...just paypal a deposit (i did $1,000) then pay the rest when you pick up the car.
Old 03-19-2008, 07:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dontwannagrowup
before i got my SS, i bought a vette off ebay...just paypal a deposit (i did $1,000) then pay the rest when you pick up the car.
exactly. i say this as someone who has sold about 7 cars on ebay. seriously. don;t be stupid. nothing is as nice as it seems.

be wary, be careful, and do not pay in full without being there in person.
Old 03-19-2008, 08:22 AM
TECH Resident

Default wire transfer !!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.ic3.gov/faq/ you'll need this good luck ??
Old 03-19-2008, 10:48 AM
On The Tree

first off thanks guys i freckin love ls1tech!!!...

the car is in ny and im in az. I am buying the car for parts only as it has been in a bad accident. I know I won't be able to make it up their to check it, but he ran it when I was on the phone with him, and he has excellent feedback.

I am buying the car from a dealership. Right now I told him I would wire transfer a 200$ deposit for him to take the listing off. Their is only a 25$ fee for me to do this. from there maybe I will see if he will agree to me giving him half, and then the other half upon receiving title.

how does that sound? Im not to worried about him taking the money and runnning, I have his full name, bussines address, and bank account info if that means anything.

what do you guys think?
Old 03-19-2008, 12:37 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by noregretz999

what do you guys think?
If you're willing to take a chance of losing the money, it sounds like your ok with the deal.
I've done some weird transactions before and here are a few thoughts.

If he is a dealer he should have a credit card machine and could take your deposit with that and your bank credit/debit card, over the phone.

If he's on ebay he should have a paypal account set up, it helps his sales, unless he's a scammer.

Wiring money only seems good for family and friends, like I said before it's as good as sending cash in an envelope. He gets cash, you will never see it again and the wire trans company won't do anything if the deal goes bad.

$200 isn't much to you, but if he scammed a bunch of people he's getting rich.

It may even be a salesman who hates his job, plans to quit soon and is using the company name and address to do the transactions.

Maybe post the ebay ad, if I was in NY near the place I'd check it out for you and offer you to pay me through paypal and hand the guy the money, and see to it the car gets shipped out. Maybe someone has some free time in NY you never know.
Old 03-19-2008, 12:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Just bought a car in MD and I live in MI... You would think they would be closer LOL!
I paypal'ed $2000 down and brought the rest in cash. Seeing how you cant do that I would suggest paypal at any time in 30 days you think you got scammed and cant get in touch you can get a refund. Plus there is only a 3% fee paid by the seller!
Old 03-19-2008, 01:19 PM
TECH Resident

Default pay pal info

hi if you make a claim with pay pal and the scammer has no money in his account YOUR FUCKED !!!!!!! simple math , always use a credit card .....
Old 03-19-2008, 01:25 PM
On The Tree

heres the link

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Chevr...em380007435582

Quick Reply: buying car out of state on ebay